How many rounds is enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many rounds is enough

Was having this discussion with some friends last night. How many rounds is enough?

For example for my 22lr, I probably have 2000 rounds. 556 probably around 800, for 6.5grendel probably around 500. The rest of my calibers probably 100 or less.

What do y'all think is the comfortable number to have? I'll probably pick up another 400 rounds for my 5.56 but otherwise I think I'm good.

800 rounds of 556 is a day at the range for some people.

Looking forward to responses [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Enough for what, hunting, target shooting, combat?
      I assume you mean combat.
      20k would probably be a good start for 556, 7.62, 9mm, etc..

Comment

Depends on caliber. 22LR that you will probably have forever, you can't have too much. For grandpa's old 16ga single shot that you shoot once a year 100 rounds is plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
          Depends on caliber. 22LR that you will probably have forever, you can't have too much. For grandpa's old 16ga single shot that you shoot once a year 100 rounds is plenty.
          Can't have enough .22 LRs

Comment

No such thing as too much ammo…

Comment

Depends on how much you shoot. If I was prairie dog shootin all the time like I used to I'd have at least 5,000 rounds. Enough to last me until numbnuts gets out of office. But I feel like 1,000 is plenty for predator huntin and shooting the occasional skunk or whatever. 500 rounds for dove huntin and 100 or so for pheasants. I'd feel comfortable with that. But I don't shoot anything that's not alive either. If I was burning ammo on paper every weekend I'd have a bunch.

I'm just talking about enough to undoubtedly last 3 more years. Not in a season. I ain't buying ammo at these prices.

Right now is a good time to be a guy with a bow. I ain't tryin to be a guy that pays double for stuff and regrets it later when the market does what AR-15's did after Obama got out of office. Used to you couldn't buy a low end AR for less than $1,000. Now you can build one for $500. When ammo floods the market it'll be the same way and there's gonna be guys on here trying to make their money back on that $50 box of .22lr that is now $5.

I'll give credit where it's due. Those dipwad Democrats can sure sell guns and ammo. They keep America armed.....good for them.
              Last edited by okrattler; 03-06-2022, 11:42 AM.

Comment

All of it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                  Enough for what, hunting, target shooting, combat?
                  I assume you mean combat.
                  20k would probably be a good start for 556, 7.62, 9mm, etc..
                  Who are you gonna fight that it takes 20K rounds ? You really are mad aren’t you ?

Comment

I try to keep at least 1.5-2k 5.56 on hand at all times.

Going to keep at least 1k of 7.62x39 at all times

.204 Ruger I keep 500 at a minimum which I am currently at 300 ish but next time I find the stuff I want in stock again I will get it back up to 500+

All the normal hunting calibers .30-30, 44 mag, .270 etc... I will keep 100-200 rds for at all times.

9mm and .380 I keep around 500 at all times.

.22 I keep cases of and if I am less than 5 cases laying around I get worried. But I also buy at least 1-2 boxes everytime I see it since I was old enough to buy it. So 15k plus of .22

But whenever everyone else is scrounging around panic buying I am happily still shooting with no worries. Just fill stock back up when the craziness blows over.

Forgot shotgun shells. I keep at least 2-3 cases of dove loads and a case of duck loads for each guage.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by westtexducks; 03-06-2022, 11:48 AM.

Comment

For hunting centerfire 2-3 boxes of matching ammo at a time is plenty. For .22 and .17 2-300 rounds. Shotgun I keep 8-10 boxes on hand but really dont need that much.

Comment

Depending on the caliber, I’m on the “can’t have enough” train I guess. 7.62x39 I have 5k and would be plenty happy to have 3X that. I probably have 1,500 in 5.56 and wouldn’t mind having 10k. The same for 9mm. Those are my SHTF calibers I guess. I’m not a doomsdayer but you just never know. My hunting calibers I’ll keep 2-300 all the time. Every gun I have I keep a particular round for that gun….in 7.62x39 I only stock Barnaul or Monarch (which is made by Barnaul) 123 FMJ. My guns shoot those 1-1.25” so that’s all I buy.

Comment

Originally posted by TxMedic View Post
                          No such thing as too much ammo…
                          This!
                          At least 10k rounds each for 22 and a battle rifle. If SHTF ammo would be worth more than money for bartering.
                          Last edited by DUKFVR; 03-06-2022, 05:39 PM.

Comment

As much as it takes to survive. I doubt I'll get beyond a 1000 rounds before buying it myself. Just saying, I have more than that for each caliber I have.

Comment

When the Russians invade you will want more than you have!

Comment

Working...
                              X