Men's health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Men's health

With all the health issues that have been talked about on here lately, it got me to thinking. What all tests / procedures should we be taking as we get older, and at what age should we do them.

I am 51 and a little over weight. I drink more than I should and don't exercise enough. I went to the Dr. yesterday and got my yearly check up. Blood pressure was good. Prostate was good. I still don't know why we cant find a better way to check that with modern medicine. I'm getting blood work and a colonoscopy done next week. What else do I need to be getting done? All you old farts share your wisdom.

FOllowing!

But colonoscopy for sure and annual or semi annual bloodwork for me

Comment

Get a stress test on a treadmill, will help detect any heart issues.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
        Get a stress test on a treadmill, will help detect any heart issues.
        This ^^^^^.

Comment

I disagree with the stress test unless you run marathons. I don't want to create a problem where one didn't exist before.
          My dr. told me he does know of several people that had heart attacks while doing a stress test.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
            I disagree with the stress test unless you run marathons. I don't want to create a problem where one didn't exist before.
            My dr. told me he does know of several people that had heart attacks while doing a stress test.
            Isn't that a perfect example of why people should be doing stress tests? Had those people done them years prior, they could have seen the heart attack coming, right?

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              Isn't that a perfect example of why people should be doing stress tests? Had those people done them years prior, they could have seen the heart attack coming, right?
              Yep!

Saying that, my doctor has moved from stress tests to CT / Heart Scans. Cheap (less than 150) and good way to determine calcium build up. I am in relatively good shape, but have family history of heart disease, so it's something he has had me check twice since turning 50 (put me on statin after first test as preventative).

Additionally, get

1) a full fledge annual physical to get a baseline on you
              2) lose some weight and exercise
              Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I'm 59 with a broken body- three major orthopedic surgeries (both shoulders, ankle) three neck back surgeries (2 level neck fusion, 2 lower back surgeries) . My two cents-

Semi annual blood-CBC, metabolic panel, lipids, A1C, PSA, EKG etc. Maintain records for seeing trends.

Calcium screen and stress test. The stress test isn't that challenging, it basically ramps up from a slow walk to a very brief fast run and it doesn't last long. If you're not in good enough shape to go thru a stress test, you need to really examine your lifestyle.

Colonoscopy.

Blood pressure is huge.

Get an assessment of your body weight-fat %.

Work out, walk if nothing else. Past 50, you lose muscle mass like crazy. lift light. But stay active.

Good luck.

Comment

And, either hit the gym 3 times per week for cardio on a bike or treadmill and then go thru the weight machines but don't overdo it. Work on core for sure.

Comment

Take care of your feet. Wear the right shoes.

I've seen a whole bunch of 50 year old ranchers have foot surgery from wearing pointy toe boots their whole life.

Once you start having foot problems, they rarely stop.

Comment

Movement is the key IMO - I have run for 42 years - eat what I want and am very active at age 69. For me the secret has been to have an exercise partner - why? because you then become accountable. Many a morning I did not want to get up at 5 am and go run at 6 am - especially when it is 25 degrees and windy! But when you know someone is waiting and counting on you you get up and go.

I do not always eat perfectly but the running off sets that. I get a full exam each year - it is a lifestyle and IMO goes way beyond just living longer - it is about living longer while feeling good while you live

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        I guess. Get on the treadmill and jog. Have your massive heart attack and die right there. Then they can say" well, he was going to die from a heart attack in a few years anyway". LOL

I do understand. My mother went in for her stress test. She had a heart attack while she was there. Did a week in the hospital for what should have been a simple procedure.
                        Her blood pressure got so high that some of the blood vessel in her eyes burst.

Comment

Colonoscopy and PSA blood work.

Monitoring my PSA caught my prostate cancer early.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

fasting...been doing OMAD with some 72 hour fasts thrown in for about a year...it is natures way of really healing up the body.

Read up...find a good dr that understands autophagy and letter rip, you will be blown away by the result.

Comment

Blood sugars check for diabetes. I’m 46 in decent shape and was a pre diabetic. Had to cut out a lot of sugars.

Comment

Working...
                              X