• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windage is bottomed out

Here’s my setup:
    -Sig Cross .308
    -Aero Precision 1” Ultralight mount
    -Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 with E3 reticle

Finally got to get it to the range today, windage is good but it is ~7 inches high at 100 yards, and the turret is maxed out on bringing the POI down. Do y’all have any recommendations on how to bring my groups down?

We used to cut beer cans and make shims to go between the scope and rings.

Comment

Would the shims go under the front or back of the mount to get the groups to move down?

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post

Comment

Put them under the back.

But, something doesn't seem right about the elevation being that far off.

Comment

Was thinking of taking the whole setup off and re bore sighting it, but wasn’t sure if that would help.

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
          Put them under the back.

But, something doesn't seem right about the elevation being that far off.

Comment

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
            I would highly recommend against using shims on a new rifle. There is an underlying issue and shims are just a bandaid over the real problem. Dang sure don't use a beer can. That's absolutely horrible advise. What kind of tolerances do you think Coors holds their can making to? Lol

Yes, I'm sure your Grandpa Bill mounted his Weaver 4X scope 65 years ago with a beer can for shims and could shoot a flea at 964 yards, but any kind of tolerance stack is never good for precision.

Op, your problem could be multiple things. The first thing I'd do is make sure everything is properly torqued on the mount/rings to make sure nothing's loose. If that doesn't fix the issue, something is likely out of spec. You will have to try to narrow it down to whether it's the scope, rings/mount, or the mounting holes on your receiver. Mounting the scope on another rifle will tell you pretty quick if the issue is the rifle.

Comment

Show us a pic....

Comment

Everything seems pretty well locked down. I’m was thinking it maybe the mount because it’s on a 0 MOA pic rail

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                I would highly recommend against using shims on a new rifle. There is an underlying issue and shims are just a bandaid over the real problem. Dang sure don't use a beer can. That's absolutely horrible advise. What kind of tolerances do you think Coors holds their can making to? Lol

Yes, I'm sure your Grandpa Bill mounted his Weaver 4X scope 65 years ago with a beer can for shims and could shoot a flea at 964 yards, but any kind of tolerance stack is never good for precision.

Op, your problem could be multiple things. The first thing I'd do is make sure everything is properly torqued on the mount/rings to make sure nothing's loose. If that doesn't fix the issue, something is likely out of spec. You will have to try to narrow it down to whether it's the scope, rings/mount, or the mounting holes on your receiver. Mounting the scope on another rifle will tell you pretty quick if the issue is the rifle.

Comment

I'm no expert by any means. And I am confused easily. The windage doesn't bottom out does it? It moves sideways or r-l.
                  I would get a .20 moa pic rail for elevation or up and down longer range shooting abilities. This is basically like the beer can idea mentioned above but just built into the mounts or rings.
                  Again, I might be reading the whole thing wrong.

Comment

Just looked at the scope on the Burris website. That model looks like it has a zero-stop on it. Any chance you haven't adjusted the zero stop are just hitting it instead of actually running out of adjustment?

Comment

Maybe it’s a canted base or rings and it’s on backwards?

Comment

Apologies, I meant elevation…

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post

I'm no expert by any means. And I am confused easily. The windage doesn't bottom out does it? It moves sideways or r-l.
                        I would get a .20 moa pic rail for elevation or up and down longer range shooting abilities. This is basically like the beer can idea mentioned above but just built into the mounts or rings.
                        Again, I might be reading the whole thing wrong.

Comment

I actually just adjusted it after reading through the user guide and was able to move the elevation now. Will have to find time to get back to the range and see if that works.

Just looked at the scope on the Burris website. That model looks like it has a zero-stop on it. Any chance you haven't adjusted the zero stop are just hitting it instead of actually running out of adjustment?

Comment

Originally posted by rubicon51 View Post
                            I actually just adjusted it after reading through the user guide and was able to move the elevation now. Will have to find time to get back to the range and see if that works.

Not sure why I didn’t think of that to begin with, but I’d bet that will fix your issue!

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Raider

Not sure why I didn’t think of that to begin with, but I’d bet that will fix your issue!

Comment

Working...
                              X