Kansas public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas public land

Howdy, Just putting some feelers out. I have been kicking around the idea of doing a public land hunt to Kansas for a while now, and for some reason have the itch a little more than usual. I have been doing quite a bit of research and it appears that between the WMAs, WIHAs, and Military units there is a large amount of land that is available for hunting. According to my research as well it sounds like Kansas is not what it used to be for whitetails? I find that hard to believe, but then again I have never been there.

Would anybody be willing to share some advice on their experience with hunting in Kansas? Do WMAs get hit harder than WIHAs? Are the hurdles for a non resident to be able to hunt one of the Military units worth it? Some units have surplus tags every year, is this because they don’t have many deer in them? EHD? Etc.

Any response would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, Kansas doesn’t have any big deer anymore. That’s where my two dink’s in my avatar came from. Don’t have my 181” from this year back from the taxi yet.

Comment

[emoji102] in for info

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Kansas has plenty of ground to hunt, as you have learned from your research. The WIHA's have definite seasons they are open too. The areas you are interested in definitely affect the pressure and difficulty to hunt. The central and Eastern portions of the state are the best for big whitetails, and are much harder to draw. That said, there is still plenty of opportunity. With preference points, even if you don't get drawn the first year, you usually do the next. I can not speak to the Military base programs, as I have never experienced them.

Get on KSOutdoors and look at the current Hunting Atlas, with the maps of all the WMA, WIHA, state lands and Parks, and Federal recreation properties. It will show you just how much there is. I believe they still have about 1.5 million acres available state-wide.

Comment

We hunt western Kansas for pheasant every year. We hunt WIHA land only. There are HUGE whitetail and mule deer all over. We have been seeing more and more deer hunters in the past couple of years, but it is still not crowded.

Locals and out of state hunters look at us upland bird hunters differently. The out of staters think we messed up their hunt if we drive down the road. The local guys love us because we bump the deer out of the fields and cause them to use their escape routes and pinch points. In the evenings we always talk to deer hunters and tell each other where the game is hiding.

Comment

I’ve hunted Kansas Public Land for 4 years. I’ve taken 2 good bucks. Missed one. Lost one. Pretty much anywhere in Kansas has good deer. Here is what I’ve learned:

1. Eastern 1/3 of the state gets the most pressure.

2. Find places that aren’t “typical” deer habitat(bucks will be where people aren’t)

3. Ground hunt and don’t be afraid to use a decoy.

Check out my Channel DIY Whitetail. Have my previous two years of success on YouTube.

PM me if you want more info. I am moving on from Kansas and can point you towards some good areas.

Comment

Originally posted by grahamvan View Post
              I’ve hunted Kansas Public Land for 4 years. I’ve taken 2 good bucks. Missed one. Lost one. Pretty much anywhere in Kansas has good deer. Here is what I’ve learned:

1. Eastern 1/3 of the state gets the most pressure.

2. Find places that aren’t “typical” deer habitat(bucks will be where people aren’t)

3. Ground hunt and don’t be afraid to use a decoy.

Check out my Channel DIY Whitetail. Have my previous two years of success on YouTube.

PM me if you want more info. I am moving on from Kansas and can point you towards some good areas.

Moving on from Kansas to where? If you dont mine me asking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have quite a few points in Iowa for next year and then I want to hunt some states like Montana or South Dakota

Comment

I have quite a few points in Iowa for next year and then I want to hunt some states like Montana or South Dakota

Cool deal. I've been tossing around trying out Oklahoma public land this year. I hunt 90% public here in east texas with good success. Just want to try something else. Then eventually try more states after Oklahoma.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Oklahoma is good too. More pressure than Kansas but good

Comment

Funny you say that. I watched 2 of your YouTube videos from KS last night. Great videos by the way. I’ll shoot you a pm.

Comment

Originally posted by dublhaul View Post
                        Funny you say that. I watched 2 of your YouTube videos from KS last night. Great videos by the way. I’ll shoot you a pm.

Thanks man

Comment

I’ve been researching my tail off, I’d like some advice as well. The 2019 season will be my first time hunting in Kansas. I plan on being in Kansas 11/18-11/22 this year if I’m drawn(not sure what Unit’s yet, still putting in research on the maps). Any Kansas veteran advice on a DIY hunt would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SCRIBNER7 View Post
                            I’ve been researching my tail off, I’d like some advice as well. The 2019 season will be my first time hunting in Kansas. I plan on being in Kansas 11/18-11/22 this year if I’m drawn(not sure what Unit’s yet, still putting in research on the maps). Any Kansas veteran advice on a DIY hunt would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Send me a PM I will be sure to help you out some

Comment

Thanks man

I've watched your Kansas (and some other) videos as well, good stuff man!

Comment

Working...
                              X