Educate me on Goats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
    One of my favorite past times is to drink enough to buy dumb things. So is this an open invite?
    Who doesn't like a good goat roping

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
      One of my favorite past times is to drink enough to buy dumb things. So is this an open invite?
      Might I suggest faintin goats?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Do any of ya'll know where to get some little goats? Facebook goat pages are scam central!

Comment

How high can they jump...like the meat goats?

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
            How high can they jump...like the meat goats?
            Like vertical jump? Or when they decide to go all parkour and jump off the walls and stuff? (Never see adults jump really, but those darn Kid goats will go impressive aerial spectacles

Comment

Originally posted by RedDogOutdoors View Post
              Like vertical jump? Or when they decide to go all parkour and jump off the walls and stuff? (Never see adults jump really, but those darn Kid goats will go impressive aerial spectacles
              Like jumping over a fence high? Would a 4' fence hold the larger goats?

Do meat goats make good milk goats?
              Last edited by coop2564; 05-18-2022, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Don’t do it

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
                  Like jumping over a fence high? Would a 4' fence hold the larger goats?

Do meat goats make good milk goats?
                  You can milk a meat goat (boer) but they’re harder to milk and most of them have extra spur teats unlike dairy goats. If you looking for a goat for milk Nubians or One if the Swiss breeds are good producers when it comes to milk. Our Toggenburgs milk was not at creamy as the Nubians milk nor did it taste as good. You could also get a mixed breed just for milk. But I would stay away from meat goats if you want them for their milk production.
                  Nubians do make a good combination of milk and meat since their normally not as docile as the Swiss breeds or the lamanchas.

Comment

I have been keeping a few goats for several years. I currently have Lamanchas. They are a dairy goat.They have been the easiest goat to keep I have found. They are not as prone to parasite infestation as others but still have to be wormed regularly, They are very mild mannered and tend not to stray as nuch as others. That's not to say they will not go through a hole in the fence if they want to. They give a good amount of high fat milk, one of the best milkers out there.
                    A few things to think about. Goats are browsers. They would rather eat weeds and leaves than grass but will survive if you have good grass, Mine have cleaned off the acre fenced pen a long time ago and seem happy with the grass. I do feed them any tree trimmings, weeds and spent plants outta the garden and they will leave their feed buckets if I give them browse while they are eating.
                    They do need worming and hoof trimming on a regular basis.
                    Word is, an acre of good grass can sustain 10 goats. I keep less than that due to sometimes dry summers (and 'cause I don't wanna feed very many).
                    Bucks do have a smell but it's usually not bad until until breeding season (fall rut). Then they get rank! I have heard this (fall breeding)is a trait only for the alpine breeds but that's about all I have ever had.
                    If you get the goats, look up Fiasco farms on the net. Lotsa good info on goats!
                    Last edited by locolobo; 05-18-2022, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I just hauled a little nanny dwarf goat with a collar that I’m about positive is pregnant and about to pop within a couple weeks. She was picked up as a stray in Harris County. She will sell at the Navasota livestock auction this Saturday (I didn’t look at your location so I’m not sure if this is close to you or not)

Little bitty thing. Probably not 15 pounds when she’s not looking huge. You’ll know which one because she’s got a brown leather spike collar on. She’s pretty docile. Doesn’t just walk
                      Up to you but easy to catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X