GS brain trust- John deer FEL Lift cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS brain trust- John deer FEL Lift cylinder

My lift cylinders started leaking a while back so I purchased the seal and prong kits. I’ve never rebuilt one before but with a little bit of you tube help it was a piece of cake . As usual the first one took me 2 hrs and the second took about 45 minutes! I took my time and very meticulously cleaned everything before reassembly. I buttoned it all back up and added fluid that was lost . I figured that I would need to purge the air out but I went through the functions slowly and it doesn’t work ! The lift works but it won’t hold pressure down. Tilt up on the bucket works and tilt down does also but I have to hit a sweet spot for down to work- if I go all of the way to the right it will roll the bucket back up. There isn’t any pressure to keep the bucket tilted down. Air in the system maybe? I assembled everything exactly like it was disassembled. Help please

Yep. Sounds like air in the system. It's should purge itself as you cycle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      Yep. Sounds like air in the system. It's should purge itself as you cycle it.
      The lift cylinders have full power but it’s the tilt or roll over that’s not working correctly ! I’ve worked the heck out of it and nothing has changed!

Comment

Air in the system. Dead head it all the way and hold it a few seconds both directions. Cycling it several times will work all of the air out.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
          Air in the system. Dead head it all the way and hold it a few seconds both directions. Cycling it several times will work all of the air out.
          Still not working properly, as a matter of fact nothing has changed! Thought about cracking a line but I’m going to back away from it and do some more research!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
            Still not working properly, as a matter of fact nothing has changed! Thought about cracking a line but I’m going to back away from it and do some more research!
            Did you swap a line around or do anything else weird? You shouldnt have gotten much air in the tilt cylinder but its possible your valve is bleeding off a little. I work on hydraulic stuff all the time. And this sounds like a classic case of air in the system just from what your telling me. Go put some dirt in the bucket or put a strain on it and cycle it bunch. Shouldnt be any need to crack a line.

Comment

Did you swap a line around or do anything else weird? You shouldnt have gotten much air in the tilt cylinder but its possible your valve is bleeding off a little. I work on hydraulic stuff all the time. And this sounds like a classic case of air in the system just from what your telling me. Go put some dirt in the bucket or put a strain on it and cycle it bunch. Shouldnt be any need to crack a line.
              No sir- no swapped lines! I’ll load the bucket up and give it heck! Thanks

Comment

No sir- no swapped lines! I’ll load the bucket up and give it heck! Thanks
                Hold the joy stick all the way over to full tilt both direction and just hold it there for a few seconds at a time. Then go back the other way. This will help also.

Comment

Hold the joy stick all the way over to full tilt both direction and just hold it there for a few seconds at a time. Then go back the other way. This will help also.
                  I’ve full tilted it both ways and held it 50-60 times!

Comment

I’ve full tilted it both ways and held it 50-60 times!
                    You re check the fluid level? How old of a tractor is it? Load the bucket up with dirt and cycle the loader arms also to make sure all the air is out of the pickup arms to.

Comment

You re check the fluid level? How old of a tractor is it? Load the bucket up with dirt and cycle the loader arms also to make sure all the air is out of the pickup arms to.
                      Fluid is topped off, 2012 JD 3520 !

Comment

Did you rebuild the piston ? Are the seals in correctly ? If not you could be getting blow by.
                        Last edited by smokeless; 04-19-2022, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                          Did you rebuild the piston ? Are the seals in correctly ?
                          Yes and yes

The lift cylinders are working as they should and they are the ones I rebuilt- at first they gave me some problems but they are working correctly now! I’ll load the bucket up tomorrow snd go from there!
                          Last edited by Bucknaked; 04-19-2022, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Have you tried swapping the quick disconnects between lift and tilt? See if the problem follows the control vs cylinders.

I've also read of the quick disconnects developing seal problems even when never touched on the machine.

Comment

Slow down and try to breath...

Comment

Working...
                              X