Turkey load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey load

I never been Turkey hunting before and got invited to go. What is a good Turkey load for a 20 gauge?

3” 5 shot. Or whatever academy has that has a turkey on it lol

Comment

If you can’t find anything, I’ve got a Mossberg 12 gauge and plenty of 12 gauge #5 Turkey loads you can use for your hunt.

Comment

Remington 3" #4.

Comment

I patterned my 20ga Winchester SXP long beard yesterday with Apex Ninga 8.5 TSS.

20yds

40yds

IMO the 20ga and TSS loads are one of the best combos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
            I patterned my 20ga Winchester SXP long beard yesterday with Apex Ninga 8.5 TSS.

20yds

40yds

IMO the 20ga and TSS loads are one of the best combos.

That's bad medicine for turkeys but dang, they sure are proud of their product... $65 for 5 shells. Ouch.

Comment

Turkey load

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
              That's bad medicine for turkeys but dang, they sure are proud of their product... $65 for 5 shells. Ouch.

I paid $46 for the Apex. Still high but they are hammers on long beards

**Products not available in AK, CA, CT,  DC, HI, IL, MA, NJ & NY **You must be 18 years or older to purchase this product.** ***Not eligible for free shipping***

Last edited by canny; 03-13-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

TSS all the way.

Comment

Is that no. 9 shot ? I just wonder if that’s gonna have enough umph at 40/50 yards ? I like no. 5s. Hevi-Shot is hard to beat if you can find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    Is that no. 9 shot ? I just wonder if that’s gonna have enough umph at 40/50 yards ? I like no. 5s. Hevi-Shot is hard to beat if you can find it.
                    #9 TSS will kill a turkey at 50 yrds shooting the head & neck.

Comment

3" #5's are lethal..

Comment

I ain’t no turkey pro. But Winchester Double X have flat hammered a few birds way out there for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          I’ve been using #9 shot TSS the last couple years. It’s got more energy at 60 yards than any lead load you would use for Turkey. I’m sure it’ll ruffle somebody’s feathers, I killed a bird last year at 65 yards that I had been playing with for 2 days straight.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                            I’ve been using #9 shot TSS the last couple years. It’s got more energy at 60 yards than any lead load you would use for Turkey. I’m sure it’ll ruffle somebody’s feathers, I killed a bird last year at 65 yards that I had been playing with for 2 days straight.
                            Was this in a 20 gauge or 12 gauge load? Just wondering if the TSS 20 gauge load has that kind of range.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfootwolff View Post
                              Was this in a 20 gauge or 12 gauge load? Just wondering if the TSS 20 gauge load has that kind of range.

Yes the 20ga has that kind of range with the right choke. My gun that I showed above is shooting a .565 constriction choke and I have no problem with a 50yd shot based on my pattern at 40. I’m sure a slightly tighter choke would give you an extra 10yr day extending it to 50.

With the APEX 20ga 3” 1 5/8 oz vs the 12ga 3” 2oz loads the velocity is within 25fps of each other. Therefore range will be fairly equal, difference is pattern density.

Comment

Working...
                              X