GM 5.3L Vs. 6.2L...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM 5.3L Vs. 6.2L...

So I’m in the market for a GMC 1500. Been mainly looking at the 5.3 V8 but several trucks I like have the 6.2 V8. Biggest thing it’ll pull is a ranger crew on a lowboy.

So question is they about the same MPH or the 6.2 a gas hog compared too the 5.3? Also which is a more dependable motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can get the truck you want for what you want to pay get the 6.2. Hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
      If you can get the truck you want for what you want to pay get the 6.2. Hands down.

Alright but what’s the benefits of the bigger V8? I’m just running down the interstate tracking smart tools and some off roading on ROW’s. Not really needing the extra horsepower for towing.

Comment

I get about 15-16 all city and 19-19.5 highway 70-85 mph from my 6.2l.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
          Alright but what’s the benefits of the bigger V8? I’m just running down the interstate tracking smart tools and some off roading on ROW’s. Not really needing the extra horsepower for towing.

If you don't need it or don't want it there is no reason to pay extra to get it.

Comment

GM 5.3L Vs. 6.2L...

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
            I get about 15-16 all city and 19-19.5 highway 70-85 mph from my 6.2l.

What size tires you running

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
            If you don't need it or don't want it there is no reason to pay extra to get it.

I’ve researched the 5.3 and of the big three it’s the best smallblock V8 from what I gathered. The 6.2 has been popping up though and it’s too nasty a day to be outside so now I’m window shopping car gurus [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited by Russ81; 12-10-2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I have a 18 5.3 and love it. Pulls my 25' camper good, gets 16-18mpg on the highway unloaded and that's with a 3.5" lift and 33s. BUT more torque would be nice, if the wind is in my face that mileage goes way down and it starts downshifting on hills. 36,000 miles and counting right now, no issues.

Comment

The 5.3 is plenty good for pulling a load like that. I was in the same boat..got the 5.3 and never looked back. PLENTY of power.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                  What size tires you running

I’ve researched the 5.3 and of the big three it’s the best smallblock V8 from what I gathered. The 6.2 has been popping up though and it’s too nasty a day to be outside so now I’m window shopping car gurus [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

275/55/20

The 5.3 has plenty of power, it is a great motor. My brother has basically the same truck as I but with a 5.3 and I wouldn't be disappointed driving it either. I came out of a half ton 6.0 with a supercharger on it so I wanted the 6.2

Comment

You're gonna need the 6.2 just to pull a empty lowboy

Comment

People have been doing what you need and more with the 5.3 for 20 years.

Will the 6.2 do it better? Yes.

Buy whichever one you like more and get a deal on.

Comment

What motor designation does GM have for the 6.2 going in the trucks & suv's?? I wonder how much different it is than the LT1 that goes into the vette & camaro & that is rated at 455hp +/-. I do not think they are exactly the same engine from the same plant??

We are on our 2nd 5.3 & it's been a fantastic engine...personally would be happy with either, but would go with the 6.2 only to have the extra giddy-up if buying today.

Also gotta Wonder why GM never dropped the 650hp LT4 6.2 into a truck to compete against the raptor??

Comment

I’ve had 3 6.2’s, it’s the only gas engine I would ever consider going back to! The same if not better mpg while having more power... I’ll take it!

Comment

I have a 5.3 now and HATE it! I will never own another wimpy engine like this. 6.2 is the way to go. Better to have a little extra than barely enough at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                              Also gotta Wonder why GM never dropped the 650hp LT4 6.2 into a truck to compete against the raptor??
                              Because their truck marketing team is a joke. There was that awffful reaper thing that was doomed from the start. I've been a GM guy since I got my driver's license but they haven't made anything "cool" in years. The vette is about the only thing appealing to me anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X