Painted Deer on Highway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painted Deer on Highway?

On Hwy 173 between Hondo & Devine noticed a few road kill victims. What seemed odd was several dead deer had all four legs painted orange. Does anyone know the reason for this? Has anyone seen this on other roadways.

Mills county also

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw some with an orange x on them but never figured out why

Comment

Game wardens marking the deer that they have tested for CWD

Comment

was watchin Lone Star Law today and the warden says when he finds a dead deer he stops and checks it out... maybe so it is not needed to be looked at again?

Comment

If it was CWD check wouldn’t they take the head? This was not the case

Comment

Childress too.

Comment

Saw lots of those passing thru mills, Comanche and brown
                Didn’t know what it was either. But I heard it was for the wardens also.

How long has this been a procedure?

BP

Comment

I saw it too on the way to Brownwood. I figured it was to help spot em for pickup. But I wondered who marked em. Maybe the state sublet out the disposal?

Comment

I believe they have been doing it in mills co the last 3 years or so. Not sure on the significance of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Why don't they just pick them up off the road so they don't create a safety hazard with vultures or other animals. I thought it was for the color of car that hit them.

Comment

Saw a few a couple weeks ago on 173 coming home from Kerrville.. Thought it might be the supervisor from textdot marking animals for his guys to pick up.

Comment

Maybe for pick up purposes but saw other dead deer not marked that weren’t far apart.

Comment

I know the TPWD biologists paint the roadkill deer after inspecting/sampling.

Comment

That’s interesting

Comment

Working...
                              X