Question for suppressor gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is, say a 30/30 or 308 moving at 2200-2500fps, any quieter than a 300wsm moving at 3300fps when suppressed?

A lot of variables there but essentially the slower the round the quieter the round will be in my experience.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I’m not sure velocity plays into it as much as how much powder you’re burning.

I can’t say there is any difference in sound between my cartridges that burn relatively the same amount of powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        I’m not sure velocity plays into it as much as how much powder you’re burning.

I can’t say there is any difference in sound between my cartridges that burn relatively the same amount of powder.

That is another way to look at it as well. Less powder equals less speed in the same round but when you start talking different calibers I think the amount of powder is a better way to explain it.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

So barrel lengths the same, suppressor the same, bullet weight the same, powder burn and velocity are the biggest factors in noise level.

Comment

Amount of powder being primary I would say assuming it's a supersonic round

Comment

Super sonic crack is pretty much the same in my opinion. If you still have a lot of powder unburned at the end of the barrel that will have some effect, but a decent suppressor is going to kill most of the boom you normally get at the end of the barrel. The speed difference between those rounds won't make a lot of difference to the ear, I don't think.

Comment

I don’t think velocity plays into it much if at all. Supersonic is supersonic.

Comment

Pressure plays into it more than anything when all thinks are like.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                    Pressure plays into it more than anything when all thinks are like.
                    Yep, sound is a pressure wave. The higher the pressure, the greater the magnitude of sound. Speed is only important with regards to being supersonic or subsonic for the crack.

I also believe the remaining unburnt powder after the bullet leaves the muzzle will basically determine the impulse of the wave.

I work in hydraulics, and if you open a dump valve to a 5 KSI hydraulic line with no accumulation, it sounds like a loud click, but if it has some decent accumulation behind it, it sounds like a bomb going off.

Compare shooting a 556 in an 18" barrel vs a 9" barrel. The 9" will sound horribly loud in comparison.

Granted, the distance you are from the barrel also has an effect, but I think unburnt powder has a pretty good one too.
                    Last edited by sir shovelhands; 12-08-2019, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                      Yep, sound is a pressure wave. The higher the pressure, the greater the magnitude of sound. Speed is only important with regards to being supersonic or subsonic for the crack.

I also believe the remaining unburnt powder after the bullet leaves the muzzle will basically determine the impulse of the wave.

I work in hydraulics, and if you open a dump valve to a 5 KSI hydraulic line with no accumulation, it sounds like a loud click, but if it has some decent accumulation behind it, it sounds like a bomb going off.

Compare shooting a 556 in an 18" barrel vs a 9" barrel. The 9" will sound horribly loud in comparison.

Granted, the distance you are from the barrel also has an effect, but I think unburnt powder has a pretty good one too.
                      Unburnt powder will cause greater baffle erosion, but I’m not sure that it significantly impacts suppression ability. The longer barrel creates less pressure at the suppressor, which is the main reason for greater suppression. The glasses have had more volume to expand, which is the largest factor in suppression.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntingw View Post
                        Is, say a 30/30 or 308 moving at 2200-2500fps, any quieter than a 300wsm moving at 3300fps when suppressed?
                        Yes but I don't think you could tell the difference with just your ears. Both rounds are supersonic = you'll still here the crack.

Jason Slocum

Comment

I shoot a 22-250 and a 308 out of the same can. Hard to say if one is loader, but they have a different pitch to the boom... Either way a can is a GREAT thing to shoot with. I don't even shoot my guns anymore that don't have threaded barrels.

Comment

I can tell you my 6.8 SPC 16” is significantly louder than either my 16” 223 or 10” 300BO all through the same suppressor.

Comment

Maybe obvious to some, but I have found that a shorter barreled rifle with a longer suppressor is quieter than a longer rifle with a shorter suppressor. My 16.5" 308 with 9" suppressor is definitely quieter than my 20" 30-06 with 6" suppressor according to guys at the range.
                              R

Comment

Working...
                              X