Why So Many Hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why So Many Hogs?

I know that early settlers released pigs etc. When I was a kid 25 years ago hogs were something you heard about but never saw.

What happened in the last 25 years that was different than the preceding 400?

The hogs did drugs had crazy relations at feeders while eating. And 25 yrs later now theres millions of em.

Comment

We took God out of the schools and look what happened!!!

For serious though, pigs are good at escaping farms and folks were releasing them to hunt, things got a little out of hand after that...

Comment

Probably because of folks like me that won't ruin a good deer hunt to shoot pigs every hunt.

Did set a trap tonight to have best of both world. hopefully shoot deer when hunting and trap pigs away from the stands.

Comment

Now there’s a feeder every 25 acres
          Land is fragmented 20x what is was then
          More hunters.... but higher percentage of “bad hunters” that do more educating than killing
          Too many “safe zones”

We feed enough tonnage of corn to non target animals to increase body conditions to thrive vs maintain

All my neighbors feed by feeders... I don’t
          They kill laughable numbers 1-5 a season(educated)
          In 17’ I killed 110...18’ I killed 145....19’ since February 159
          And it’s like I’ve never fired a shot. I could shoot pigs tonight if I wanted
          Last edited by Low Fence; 11-20-2019, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I’m sure someone can do the math. 1 boar breeds 1 sow = so many piglets 25 years ago. How many pigs does that add up to now, the average amount survives from the litter.

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
              I’m sure someone can do the math. 1 boar breeds 1 sow = so many piglets 25 years ago. How many pigs does that add up to now, the average amount survives from the litter.
              1 to 2 litters a year
              4-6 average litter
              All 12 survive

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                Now there’s a feeder every 25 acres
                Land is fragmented 20x what is was then
                More hunters.... but higher percentage of “bad hunters” that do more educating than killing
                Too many “safe zones”

We feed enough tonnage of corn to non target animals to increase body conditions to thrive vs maintain

All my neighbors feed by feeders... I don’t
                They kill laughable numbers 1-5 a season(educated)
                In 17’ I killed 110...18’ I killed 145....19’ since February 159
                And it’s like I’ve never fired a shot. I could shoot pigs tonight if I wanted
                No doubt. I spoke to a Texas biologist that works on one of the WMA's here in East Texas and he said they had trapped 450 pigs.... I shot two and saw 6 on a 4 day hunt without bait.

Hunters our parents generation didn't have pigs in most of Texas. Pockets here and there.

Comment

that meager number of around 250,000 sows had about 16 pigs per year for their lifespan call that only 5 years, so that made 4,000,000, probably half were sows, you only had about 2,250,000, sows dropping 16 pigs the next year of which only about half of that 36,000,000, or 18,000,000 were sows that dropped about 16 each or about 288,000,000 pigs , ect etc etc, for 25 years,, and us hunters killed maybe 1 million a year combined with road kills..... .... of course these numbers are not real they are kinda like figures you get in a democrat pole,,, but the end is the same they are all free loaders and you get the idea,, ( i hope) i am sure a farmer or rancher can give you a better idea on real numbers but i think about 16 per year is pretty close per sow
                  Last edited by xman59; 11-20-2019, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                    1 to 2 litters a year
                    4-6 average litter
                    All 12 survive
                    It seems like that is the scenario you are living / hunting in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                      We took God out of the schools and look what happened!!!

For serious though, pigs are good at escaping farms and folks were releasing them to hunt, things got a little out of hand after that...
                      I really think some folks did that. Released wild boar genes that dramatically increased the surviveability of what was just skittish domestic pigs.

Comment

Wild pigs (also known as wild hogs or feral pigs) are not native to the Americas. Brought by early Spanish explorers, they have now spread across the United States.

Comment

We bought the farm in Leon county 35 years ago
                          No pigs. I remember the first two I saw.
                          Now we kill hundreds a year. And can’t keep up. Even with AR s and thermal.
                          Only thing I have seen limits them are droughts at our lease.

I wonder if it’s all The small landowners who don’t hunt and allow them them sanctuaries.

Good question.

Comment

Global warming

Comment

We never had them around here when I was a younger kid. I was 16 the first time I ever even heard of a wild hog. That was 26 years ago. Can't drive down the road now without seeing the damages they're causing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X