No announcement yet.

GM 5.3L Vs. 6.2L...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

go 6.2. i wished i would have in the wifes yukon. 6.2 gets better mileage than the 5.3

Comment

I have a 12 6.2L Chevy that I bought from another TBHer. I have loved the truck. I have 185K and started to have some issues. Not issues with the engine, but had to put a tranny in it. That has been a nightmare. I bought a GM transmission from the dealership and it has been back in the shop 7 times and basically had every part replaced. Not sure if they got it right this time. I love my truck, but it cannot pass a gas station. To be fair I drive it like I stole it. If I back off the pedal I might be able to push 15 on the highway. Normally 12.5-13 is top end for me, but that is normal 80mph. I run 285/18's so not huge tires and no lift, stock rims. I am about ready for a new one, but the checkbook says no. Hopefully the transmission is finally fixed. I need at least 1 more year out of this truck and then on to something else. It will pull the hitch off a trailer but won't pass a gas station.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys keep it coming.

I know what you mean, it’s hard to swallow 30-35K on a ‘17-‘18 truck but that’s still cheaper then the ‘19’s and up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I currently have a 5.3 liter and it does its job, but there is always a better tool for the job. I cant wait until I am able to make a trip to go pick up the truck that I am buying that has the 8.1 liter, coupled with the Allison Transmission. Now, that thing will have some power. I really dont care about the gas mileage, as it will be mainly used to pull the boat, 38 foot camper, cattle trailer, hay trailers, and any lowboy with the ranger and 4 wheeler on it.

Man, I am excited.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
            I currently have a 5.3 liter and it does its job, but there is always a better tool for the job. I cant wait until I am able to make a trip to go pick up the truck that I am buying that has the 8.1 liter, coupled with the Allison Transmission. Now, that thing will have some power. I really dont care about the gas mileage, as it will be mainly used to pull the boat, 38 foot camper, cattle trailer, hay trailers, and any lowboy with the ranger and 4 wheeler on it.

Man, I am excited.

Yes sir that’s the reasoning in asking the green screen, for the heavy chores I got the Ram Cummins. But for running down the highway with an occasional ranger hauling it sounds like I can’t go wrong with either one [emoji2371]

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any experience with the new 3.0L Duramax inline 6 compared the 6.2L V8?

Comment

My wifes 6.2 denali xl gets 13 mpg in town but I wouldn't trade the power for better mpg

Comment

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post
                  My wifes 6.2 denali xl gets 13 mpg in town but I wouldn't trade the power for better mpg

What’s the highway mileage looking like and what size tires y’all running?

Comment

id get the 6.2.. because who ever said they have too much power?

Comment

Get the 6.2 and don’t look back.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                        Torque is the biggest difference.
                        They'll both get you there, but Gotta rev the 5.3 to do things that the 6.2 does at half the RPM
                        X2

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive got a 2019 AT4 with the 6.2 and the ten speed trans. I only get about 16mpg. Had a 2018 6.2 with 8 speed trans and on long trips would get close to 21mpg. Dont know why there is such a big difference in the two.

Comment

Ur gonna want more torque to pull ur utv. My 5.3 hates pulling trailer and mule. Combined weight 3200- 3500lbs.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                              I had the 5.3. It couldn't pull a 26' snowmobile trailer that weighed 2600 lbs. The thing was either pegged at 5000 rpms or at 2000 and bogging down. Apart from that, it was fine. Not the most powerful, but definitely the most space around the engine should you ever have to work on it.

If someone tells you they get good mileage with the 5.3, they aren't hand calculating their mileage. I rarely got above 17 mpg.

I would go 6.2 if I could.
                              Something was wrong with yours. I've hand calculated my 6.2 at 19.1 mpg this summer. Most of that was over 70mph, a lot of it 80 or more.

Comment

I but 2005 w/4.8 chev pulls my 5.5x12 with Kawa Mule diesel 07 /4 seater..at 70 just fine .= corn and huntin gear.
                                I 03 dodge diesel and that 4.8 aint in same league but on <5000# load it does pretty darn good and its got 170k miles
                                Last edited by cva34; 12-10-2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X