No announcement yet.

The 2020 TBH/APR Special Planning Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, for anyone that doesn't just absolutely love the direction that the TBH group-buy ends up going... there is nothing stopping any of us from calling APR and building EXACTLY what you want. The possibilities are endless. Give them a call! My APR, and my dads, are the best looking/shooting rifles that we have ever owned.

Comment

3, then 5

Comment

1st choice would be #3 with #2 being a close 2nd choice.

Comment

What the difference in 2 and 3 besides the stock?

Comment

Just for clarification, I mentioned a light weight version of Option 3(classic). Here is a pic of the parts that would swap out to create the light version.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
              Just for clarification, I mentioned a light weight version of Option 3(classic). Here is a pic of the parts that would swap out to create the light version.

In for that option!!

Comment

I change my vote! #3 with lightweight option.

Comment

The 2020 TBH/APR Special Planning Thread

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                  I change my vote! #3 with lightweight option.
                  Quit being a fair weather fan!! Haha

Can I pad the talley for number 2??

Sierracharlie out…
                  Last edited by sierracharlie338; 12-10-2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I like #1. Wanting to build a long rang PRC suppressed hunter

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                    I think we need to have an honest conversation about our weight... I mean the rifle weight. I went back through a significant number of APR rifles that had components similar to what we have been bantering about for the "Classic" vote.

7.6lbs (ish) for a rifle with standard (non-carbon fiber) components is a reality but there are choices to be made. Upcharge for edge fill and drop a few more ounces. Cut back from 26 to 24 to 22 inches on the barrel and save even more.

Getting below 7lbs bare rifle is possible for short action, with shorter (18-22") barrels and a CF stock.

If you want to go HEAVY the APR stock design won't prevent you from dropping in a REM Varmint or other heavy profile barrel-- but remember to get the best price/timeline we need to standardize as MUCH as possible, which means limiting barrel inlet combinations.

A lot of the weight differences are generated depending on customer choices for brakes, rails, rings, bottom metal, etc. not to mention fluting. As far as the fluting goes I would trust the guys at APR to figure out the right depth/pattern that would work for the majority calibers (.30 and smaller diameter) to maximize weight savings... IF enough folks wanted it.

So here we go- at the risk of sounding like a squeaky wheel- I've refined my initial proposal into two distinct options.

1. TBH Classic- McMillan APR pattern stock (McWoody or McWalnut), standard fill, red or black butt pad, Defiance Action (per Robert's 1st post), BDL bottom metal, Trigger (TT Pri/Special), barrel- STEEL maybe offer like two contours-- APR (standard) which allows 5/8x24 threading on longer barrels than the Bart 3b or others and the other could be REM Varmint (for the heavies), option to DEEP or standard flute, standard threading 5/8x24 with choice of radial, gill or blended threat protector. Two choices for cerakote-- matte or gloss blue replica or solid black (plus option to case harden the action (cost dependent-- maybe this becomes an extra)

2. TBH Classic LITE (the more $$ option)- McMillan APR pattern stock EDGE FILL or maybe a light fill(I don't know if they can do edge with molded colors like McWoody???), red or black butt pad (may an option for a flip flop pad instead of full size?), Defiance Action (per Robert's 1st post), BDL bottom metal, Trigger (TT Pri/Special), barrel- Proof Sendero Lite or Bartlein #2 (or similar)with choice of radial, gill or blended threat protector. Two choices for cerakote-- matte or gloss blue replica plus case hardened option. For this option the #2 might only be able to work with certain calibers/lengths and with 1/2x28 threads?

Maybe there is a legit option to paint the CF stocks to look closer to wood or even a dip?? I'll have to defer to the experts.

I'm a night shift guy and the possibilities are keeping me up!!!

Comment

The farther this thread goes along the closer I get to the dog house!

Comment

Ok, I change my vote...#3 will work for me!

Comment

Would the light version of 3 be available in a long action or a short action magnum ?

Comment

Definitely a lightweight #3

Comment

Robert, would you please explain the difference in the #2 and the lightweight #3 pictured above? Both seem like lighter weight long range hunting rifles. But I am probably missing something.

Comment

#3 lightweight version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X