Camper shell build out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper shell build out

A friend of mine said that he may have some openings on the lease he runs in Polk county next year. There may be a campsite and electricity possibly but not sure.
    Anyway all I have is a two wheel drive pick up with a six foot bed with a camper shell on it. I don’t want to pitch a tent cause it me and my special needs son. It’s getting harder for me to think and do for both of us now. Currently my knees are shot so it’s very hard to bend down or get up.
    Having said that I’m like to see some of yalls shell build outs that I can break down easily to where we can get in the back when we’re done without having to lay down and get mud, dirt, blood or whatever all over our gear.
    I need the truck to be mobile cause we don’t have a four wheeler and need to run to town etc etc.

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
    A friend of mine said that he may have some openings on the lease he runs in Polk county next year. There may be a campsite and electricity possibly but not sure.
    Anyway all I have is a two wheel drive pick up with a six foot bed with a camper shell on it. I don’t want to pitch a tent cause it me and my special needs son. It’s getting harder for me to think and do for both of us now. Currently my knees are shot so it’s very hard to bend down or get up.
    Having said that I’m like to see some of yalls shell build outs that I can break down easily to where we can get in the back when we’re done without having to lay down and get mud, dirt, blood or whatever all over our gear.
    I need the truck to be mobile cause we don’t have a four wheeler and need to run to town etc etc.

Check out the Expedition Portal website. They have a ton of build outs.

To me it sounds like one of those air mattresses that fits in the bed of your truck would be a easy to remove option. For cold weather you would want some heavy blankets on top of the mattress as well as some for you. You can use a little buddy heater in there as well. They are safe to use indoors.
    Get a small ladder to get in and out. Keep gear in totes and store them outside the truck when sleeping to keep them out of the weather. You could build some drawers, but that will decrease your head room when trying to get dressed in the back,

Comment

Good air mattress with 12v pump. I keep two of them. They store easily between trips. And are very comfortable. Will keep yall off the floor of the bed. That steel bed can get cold and hard! The pillow is your choice. I have one that compacts for travel. If the lease dose have electricity, a small ceramic electric heater will be more than enough on the coldest days/nights. They can be got for as cheap as $15 in some places. And you don't have to worry about asphyxiation by a fueled heater.

Comment

I can tell you from experience when it’s cold you will freeze your *** off on an air mattress when it’s cold. Only took one weekend of basically no sleep to realize and air mattress sitting in the bed was a bad idea.

I made an elevated platform, put a piece of insulation board and then wrapped it in marine carpet. Just use the pockets where a 2x6 can go in the sides of the bed and lay that on top. We had electricity so I was able to put an electric blanket down then a sheet and then cover up with a sleeping bag. An electric heater with a fan kept me comfortable all night.

As a bonus I had room under the elevated bed for storage of clothes, bows, guns, etc.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

A Buddy and I took 3 - 2x12's cut to the length of his bed. We than laid then in their side and used 1/2" OSB for the platform.
          We covered that in carpet. Used plastic containers for storage underneath. Had a dowel with a hook on the end of it to grab the containers @ the front of the bed.

He used aa air mattress to sleep on.

No pics as this was 15 years ago

Comment

Build a platform that is level with the top of your wheel wells
            Storage containers underneath
            Reflextix over the windows
            If you can put the rack system on the top of the camper for storage(on top mount a large diameter piece of pvc with caps on one end put a nozzle for water-paint it black to help warm the water)
            You can get some lights and fans that will run off deer feeder batteries

I hope you get it rigged up and have a BLAST with your son

Check out Pinterest there are tons of ideas on there

Comment

If you are considering a project, what about a camper trailer rebuild? PM me if it interests you. I have a old camper sitting on my property that came with deal. I will never use it and don't want to hassle with cleaning it up inside. It would need to be cleaned thoroughly and probably sealed on some seams. Otherwise it seems structurally sound.

It would be a lot of work, no doubt; but it would certainly give you more comfort and flexibility than a camper shell, if you can put a little work into it.

Comment

No help here other than a big kudos to you for getting your son outdoors, no matter his/her limitations. God bless you, and your family, dad.

Comment

I've slept in the back of a truck with a camper, and I found it less comfortable than you'd think. Crawling in and out is a bit of a hassle, and you definitely need more headroom to sit up than a normal roof height camper shell.

Comment

I'd say buy one of these portable sheds and use it like a wall tent. Get some help with setting it up one time. Big enough for a couple cots, cook stove and buddy heater to keep it warm....less than 175.00
                    Last edited by flywise; 01-31-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Here’s a good one that I plan to mimic once I finally find me a shell for a reasonable price. Might be more involved than you’re wanting, but it’s a really nice set up.

This detailed step-by-step guide will provide you with everything you need to build the ultimate sleeping platform for your diy truck bed camper - keeping you comfortable and organized on your next truck camping adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                        Here’s a good one that I plan to mimic once I finally find me a shell for a reasonable price. Might be more involved than you’re wanting, but it’s a really nice set up.

https://www.takethetruck.com/blog/sl...platform-build
                        That's great

Comment

Bump

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

Working...
                            X