Biggest public land bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest public land bucks

I had a truly awesome experience Thursday morning and it made me wonder what is the biggest buck you have seen on public land? I mean true public land that you don’t have to be drawn to hunt that gets a lot of pressure.

Thursday morning I saw the largest buck I have seen in the wild. He was a main frame 12 with some extra trash and around 22” wide.

This was going to be my last day to hunt this season and he came strolling by at 95 yards. I gave it everything I had to bring him in and nothing. I tried rattling and grunting and snort wheeze; he would just look and walk on the trail really slow. I decided that I would attempt to steal this buck being my last day and I knew where the trail would take him.

I slowly made my way on a trail that traveled parallel to his and had closed the distance to 75 yards at one point before he cleared the hill in front of me. I decided I would go out around him and attempt to cut him off where I assumed he would cross a pretty big opening. I made it to the clearing and waited and assumed he would travel the tree line to a creek and use the cover to continue his trip west. I waited several minutes and I figured he must have already crossed the clearing. That’s when it happens I hear a branch crack and turn around and the buck is coming in from behind me.

I don’t know how he ended up behind me but there he stood at 30 yards behind some brush and walking towards me. He stops behind a tree with only his head visible. I am totally exposed and we have a frozen stand off he then started to look around and I attempt to pull my bow and he does the unexpected.

This deer takes 2 strides and jumps directly into the center of a large wild plumb thicket. He jump 8-10 feet into the middle of that nasty stuff. He waited there for about 15- 20 seconds then dashed off to the next plumb thicket. He went from the thickest thing he could find until he was out of sight.

I now have a whole new respect for how big old bucks survive.

I thought I would share this with all of y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen deer in the Dcnf that rival any whitetail ever killed anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      I have seen deer in the Dcnf that rival any whitetail ever killed anywhere.
      So scoring higher than 313?

Comment

I’ve seen more than I can remember over 140”. And 2-3 that would scare the $&&% out of 170+

Comment

That's awesome. Biggest deer I've ever seen was on public land in an area I never would have messed with if it wasn't for GarGuy's thread on pressured deer. Saw his bachelor buddy later on in the season in the same area but never saw him again.

Comment

Have no idea on score but it looked like a mule walking through. Big rack HUGE body but only seen a profile of him at 40 yards. I was 14-15, was so amazed I never even drew back during the 5-10 seconds he was in sight. This was on heavily pressured public land here In GA
            Last edited by Jcjohnson; 12-07-2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

333 7/8 was found dead really close to public land back in the 80’s

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                333 7/8 was found dead really close to public land back in the 80’s
                I pulled that shot and hit him in the void. I looked for days to find that sucker and finally had to abandon the search. I have always regretted that and should have looked harder!

Comment

He wasn’t very far off the road

Comment

I would have been shaking so bad!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been witness to a lot of big racks on public land, mostly swimming ditches in the boat lights.

Dad and I had a 180” typical ten swim right in front of us in 2004 on Cache river.. I’ll never forget that one!

Guy I know killed this one on the nearest public place from me, this year.
                      Attached Files

Comment

that is crazy!
                        Last edited by Jesus is Coming; 12-07-2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Good grief!!!

Comment

Wow. That is an unbelievable buck right there

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                              So scoring higher than 313?
                              Maybe....

Comment

Working...
                              X