No announcement yet.

How much would you tip for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you feel the need to be a cheapskate and tip your guide like an Uber- than remember to multiply that tip by 4x for back/forth trips for morning and afternoon hunts, and then multiply that number by the number of days you are hunting.

Seriously, a nice pocket knife would be a much nicer gesture than a cheap tip.

Comment

We guide, but not for a living, thankfully.

As a result, we tend to tip guides very well when we hunt, but the amount is always tied to the effort amount of effort expended.

This situation is odd for me, since we rarely drop off a hunter, we usually sit with them.

Even so....the comparison to an Uber driver doesn’t make sense.
      How many other fares can this guy pick up while you are sitting in the blind?

The point is, no matter what, if you hunt morning and evening, it’s likely the guide is there for the entire day anyway.

The best practice is to ask the outfitter regarding how the guide is compensated.
      If he is heavily dependent on tips, I would tip him a percentage just for giving up his day to be there for you.

Comment

Don't be so down on uber and taxi drivers! I had a hotel airport shuttle driver once drive me around to a few different bars and pick me up at 2am when closed and he hauled arse doing it too. I tipped the heck out of that guy. Slow roll to a deer blind and back, doesn't sound like a tipping situation, but then I'd rather him not be sitting in the blind with me either so I might tip him to leave me alone?

Comment

You can always walk to the blind yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
            This bit me yesterday. Went to a fancy restaurant here. Ate lunch with the wife and her twin sister. Tipped the guy $20.00 and he was not happy. He kinda of challenged me going out the door.
            Well not really a great meal, and so - so service.
            I am still thinking about it this morning.
            I really should of told him it pretty much sucked and he got more than he deserved....
            If you sat for an hour that's $20/hr just on that one table. How much is this guy trying to make waiting tables?

Comment

Back when I used to guide the hunters who gave the biggest tips got the biggest deer the following year. Something to consider if you decide to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                If you sat for an hour that's $20/hr just on that one table. How much is this guy trying to make waiting tables?
                How long is lunch? I would say probably more than $20 dollars. I would be more curious to hear how much the bill was and how he “challenged” him.

Comment

I have one ranch where we mostly drop
                  Off and pick up. We do all the cleaning of the animals and the cleaning of the bunk house after the hunt. The deer on that place are pretty predictable so we put hunters where they will see the class of animal they are after. Way too many variables to answer your question correctly. Anywhere from 25-150 a day is my answer.

Comment

As far as the guide filling feeders and doing prep work before arrival. I would if thought the compensation for that was factored in the cost of the hunt. Maybe it isn't. I just have a hard to wrapping my head around the business model that does not cover its expenses in the prices it charges and looks for the tips to help cover the costs.

Heres how it went down. Paid for a hunt on a mld place. The guide picked us up each morning and dropped us off at the stand. He then went to another blind where he hunted. We would text when we were ready to go back for lunch. He would pick us up from camp in the afternoon and then we would go sit in the blind for the evening. He would hunt another spot after dropping us off. No offer to help clean the deer for a fee or any offer made. It was 4 sits in the stand 2 evenings to mornings. No hiking or trekking involved able to drive up to the box blind and up to the deer.

I've been on other hunts where their have been meals provided ( prime rib and rib eyes and shrimp) at a lodge. A guide would sit in the stand. We would spot and stalk at times. He would help glass for game and was along the entire time. I liked both experiences. Just wondered what the green screen thoughts were on the matter.
                    Last edited by Cody903; 11-29-2019, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Another consideration on the livery service could be the wear and tear of the vehicle. If you are hunting rugged country, your tires can get chewed up and scratched from the thrones. So, how much would you pay to avoid that? If this guy is doing the driving for you, you may want to tip him first thing, maybe you get something out of the deal. Kinda like a quid pro quo.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody903 View Post
                        As far as the guide filling feeders and doing prep work before arrival. I would if thought the compensation for that was factored in the cost of the hunt. Maybe it isn't. I just have a hard to wrapping my head around the business model that does not cover its expenses in the prices it charges and looks for the tips to help cover the costs.

Heres how it went down. Paid for a hunt on a mld place. The guide picked us up each morning and dropped us off at the stand. He then went to another blind where he hunted. We would text when we were ready to go back for lunch. He would pick us up from camp in the afternoon and then we would go sit in the blind for the evening. He would hunt another spot after dropping us off. No offer to help clean the deer for a fee or any offer made. It was 4 sits in the stand 2 evenings to mornings. No hiking or trekking involved able to drive up to the box blind and up to the deer.

I've been on other hunts where their have been meals provided ( prime rib and rib eyes and shrimp) at a lodge. A guide would sit in the stand. We would spot and stalk at times. He would help glass for game and was along the entire time. I liked both experiences. Just wondered what the green screen thoughts were on the matter.
                        EVERYONE knows **** well those 2 hunts didn't cost the same kind of money! If you wanted to sit on the guys lap, you should have said so.

Comment

Originally posted by Willicd76 View Post
                          EVERYONE knows **** well those 2 hunts didn't cost the same kind of money! If you wanted to sit on the guys lap, you should have said so.
                          Easy Tiger! I think the OP is only asking for opinions. He didn't gut punch a baby.

Comment

Based on the OP's updated response, my opinion would be to tip $20 based on a few drop offs and pick ups. Perhaps a little more if there was more than one hunter.

If the "guide" really was looking to make a tip, I would think he at least would have offered to help the hunters clean the deer.

I'm all for tipping guides well that go over and beyond their duties; however, at some point, the price paid for a hunt should cover simple things like transportation, blind in ok condition, working feeder, etc. I mean, isn't that the reason to pay for a hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              Back when I used to guide the hunters who gave the biggest tips got the biggest deer the following year. Something to consider if you decide to go back.
                              And not all stands are equal. I am not buying the uber driver thing either.
                              As mentioned follow your conscience. Just general advice in life, but being generous has always paid off for me.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post

Hard to fathom most can't grasp this concept.

Or hook the guide up when you get there & say lets play ball buddy where should I sit?

Comment

Working...
                                X