Age this jaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age this jaw

What age would you say these teeth indicate ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

5.5 by teeth which means he can be from 4 to 8 years old in my experience depending on where he lived

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        5.5 by teeth which means he can be from 4 to 8 years old in my experience depending on where he lived
        This

Comment

4.5. Seems like molar I’m back still has crest and the brown dentine isn’t wider than the white

Comment

Was the deer naturally foraging to survive or was he a feeder fed deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just looking at the dentine those teeth show 4...could possibly argue 5. But that doesn't mean squat on how old the deer really was.

Comment

Textbook 6.5

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                  Just looking at the dentine those teeth show 4...could possibly argue 5. But that doesn't mean squat on how old the deer really was.
                  how do you confirm the age of a deer with definitive proof? if aging them by teeth is inaccurate/guesstimate.

Comment

I agree with this whole statement. Looks 4 off the teeth, but that don't mean squat.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechbandit View Post
                        how do you confirm the age of a deer with definitive proof? if aging them by teeth is inaccurate/guesstimate.
                        Definitive?
                        You don't. Unless you have history with them, or tags in the ears.

Comment

Definitive?
                          I figured they had some way of lab testing bone or DNA or something.

Comment

Yep 4 or 5 by the charts. You see where rmw called him text book 6.5? I agree with him. Those teeth on a free ranging east tx deer would be 6.5 for sure. I have seen way too many jaw bones of known age deer to think I can definitively age a deer by his teeth.

Comment

Definitive?

This. Knowing their feeding habits can help you “guess” better based on tooth wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X