Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #1
-HIC-
Ten Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction
Default XD carriers

For those of you that carry a Springfield XD, does it bother you that the striker is back and ready to rock all the time? Basically you have sear engagement between you and an accidental.

I have several XD's and I love the way they shoot; however, I will not carry one because of the design. For this reason alone i carry the less loved Glocks.. Love to hear others thoughts on this.
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 12:16 AM   #2
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Donít even think twice about it. I think the XD is much safer. Pulling the trigger disengages 3 features I believe that will allow the weapon to fire. The XD does basically the same thing BUT you also have to activate the grip safety....so two independent mechanical devices must be manipulated in order for the firing pin to strike the primer.

Get something in the trigger guard on a glock and it will fire. The same cannot be said of the XD. Now you can argue that the grip safety can be a liability that could prevent it going off when you need it to but it just isnít going to fire unless you depress the lever in the grip and pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 12:41 AM   #3
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
Donít even think twice about it. I think the XD is much safer. Pulling the trigger disengages 3 features I believe that will allow the weapon to fire. The XD does basically the same thing BUT you also have to activate the grip safety....so two independent mechanical devices must be manipulated in order for the firing pin to strike the primer.

Get something in the trigger guard on a glock and it will fire. The same cannot be said of the XD. Now you can argue that the grip safety can be a liability that could prevent it going off when you need it to but it just isnít going to fire unless you depress the lever in the grip and pull the trigger.

Iíve put tens of thousands of rounds through XDís, never worried about their safety, and absolutely never had a problem deactivating the grip safety. I occasionally have a problem disengaging a 1911 grip safety, but that is from gripping the gun extremely high. The XD/m/s have never given me a problem.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
For those of you that carry a Springfield XD, does it bother you that the striker is back and ready to rock all the time? Basically you have sear engagement between you and an accidental.

I have several XD's and I love the way they shoot; however, I will not carry one because of the design. For this reason alone i carry the less loved Glocks.. Love to hear others thoughts on this.

The xd series will not fire without pulling the trigger, it has a striker block saftey that only disengages with a pull of the trigger. So if the sear dropped without a trigger pull, which also cannot happen without having the grip safety depressed because it keeps the sear from dropping, the gun will not fire. So, no worries for me.
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Don't have one but considered getting one for the reasons above. Safer than a glock.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
-HIC-
Ten Point

Great posts guys, I forgot about the striker safety that pushes up when the trigger is pulled. Excellent info as always!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:

like others have said, much safer design than the glock
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #8
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:

I donít understand this mindset, kinda like people who carry without one in the chamber. Not picking on you, itís more of a blanket statement.

savin yours is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #9
softpoint
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

I prefer XD's over Glocks. And I really have nothing against Glocks. The grip safety on an XD is passive, and no hindrance to it's operation. I have Glocks, XD's and 1911's. If you examine the internals of each, the 1911 is probably the least safe to carry. And they have been safely carried for over 100 years.
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #10
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by softpoint View Post
I prefer XD's over Glocks. And I really have nothing against Glocks. The grip safety on an XD is passive, and no hindrance to it's operation. I have Glocks, XD's and 1911's. If you examine the internals of each, the 1911 is probably the least safe to carry. And they have been safely carried for over 100 years.
How so? They are all perfectly safe to carry. The 1911 even has a manual safety. None of them are going off unless the trigger is pulled. We aren't talking about Sigs here.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #11
softpoint
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
How so? They are all perfectly safe to carry. The 1911 even has a manual safety. None of them are going off unless the trigger is pulled. We aren't talking about Sigs here.
Most all of the 1911 safeties only block the sear. Some designs, as the series 80 and the Kimber firing pin block have been incorporated to help with this. And I'm not saying that 1911's aren't safe to carry, I've carried them all my life, and know plenty of others that do as well,without issues. But neither does the manual safety on a 1911 make it any safer than a Glock or an XD.
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #12
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by softpoint View Post
Most all of the 1911 safeties only block the sear. Some designs, as the series 80 and the Kimber firing pin block have been incorporated to help with this. And I'm not saying that 1911's aren't safe to carry, I've carried them all my life, and know plenty of others that do as well,without issues. But neither does the manual safety on a 1911 make it any safer than a Glock or an XD.
actually not true,,, myself and a few other officers did some testing with glocks and colts,,, used primed brass no projectile and tossed them repeatedly into the air and letting them land on the hard grass, the glocks fired several times,, the colts never did,,, the xd series did not exist then so they were not included,,,, and none of the colts was a series 80
Old 01-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #13
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
actually not true,,, myself and a few other officers did some testing with glocks and colts,,, used primed brass no projectile and tossed them repeatedly into the air and letting them land on the hard grass, the glocks fired several times,, the colts never did,,, the xd series did not exist then so they were not included,,,, and none of the colts was a series 80
That is very interesting, how did y'all throw them?
Old 01-09-2019, 08:59 PM   #14
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

Not saying this is untrue but since the Glock trigger also is under little to no pressure when the trigger is forward I donít see this happening.

When the trigger is pulled on the Glock it disengages 3 safeties AND loads the striker spring at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 09:27 PM   #15
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

I just remember when they came out...did all the same tests that Glock had already done. Lots of marketing money to say they built a gun as good as the 16 year old Glock. They are indeed fine firearms. But Glock has the distinction of being the AK-47 of combat handguns. (They go boom no matter what)
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 12:29 AM   #16
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Not saying this is untrue but since the Glock trigger also is under little to no pressure when the trigger is forward I donít see this happening.

When the trigger is pulled on the Glock it disengages 3 safeties AND loads the striker spring at the same time.

I agree.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:31 AM   #17
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
(They go boom no matter what)
Wanna bet?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #18
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
That is very interesting, how did y'all throw them?
by hand 6-10 feet high
Old 01-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #19
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Not saying this is untrue but since the Glock trigger also is under little to no pressure when the trigger is forward I don’t see this happening.

we did not expect it either,, and i know the glocks have undergone several variations and mods since the introduction of them,, the glocks were new on the market and the debate was the same then,, how unsafe the colt was compared to a glock

Last edited by xman59; 01-10-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #20
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
we did not expect it either,, and i know the glocks have undergone several variations and mods since the introduction of them,, the glocks were new on the market and the debate was the same then,, how unsafe the colt was compared to a glock

Still safer than a SIG
Old 01-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #21
More Liberty
Ten Point

Hunt In: My land

I rock the 45 XD as my everyday carry - not the SXD but the full size. I do not have any concerns; there are multiple safeties such as the palm and trigger safety.
More Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #22
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post

Still safer than a SIG
Pssshhhh, The SIG was a design feature. Have a bad guy behind a wall? Throw your 320 in the air at an angle where it hits pointing at said bad guy. Problem solved. Why anyone would have used the "voluntary upgrade" to get rid of the most revolutionary design in the past 30 years is unknown to me.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #23
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
Pssshhhh, The SIG was a design feature. Have a bad guy behind a wall? Throw your 320 in the air at an angle where it hits pointing at said bad guy. Problem solved. Why anyone would have used the "voluntary upgrade" to get rid of the most revolutionary design in the past 30 years is unknown to me.
Never thought of it like that!!
Old 01-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #24
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by savin yours View Post
I don’t understand this mindset, kinda like people who carry without one in the chamber. Not picking on you, it’s more of a blanket statement.

Pick away, I carry with one in the chamber and will add my XD's back into the batting order!
Old 01-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #25
krisw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass County

I carry an XD and have never given a thought about it.
krisw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 11:18 PM   #26
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:

and the trigger knows no difference between a finger and a shirt tail or even inertia.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #27
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
and the trigger knows no difference between a finger and a shirt tail or even inertia.

The inertia part is not true. Do you know how a Glock trigger system work?

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #28
muddydog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

I've owned several Glocks and XD's as well as 1911's. I've never had or seen one discharge on their own. I keep my XD hot at all times. It's just important to know that any gun has a potential to fire in certain unusual situations. Watch the muzzle and keep the trigger clear and it should be safe.
muddydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #29
muddydog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

I always thought all striker fired guns were cocked when the slide is racked? Is Glock different?
muddydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 11:28 PM   #30
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
The inertia part is not true. Do you know how a Glock trigger system work?

yeah, you pull trigger, it goes boom.

Ok, inertia may be a bit of a stretch. But, what distance is their drop test? 6' 8'.

If you drop it off the house? 3 floor?
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 11:41 PM   #31
pervis
Ten Point

For u guys who think a xd is a safe gun to carry, do u guys not remember when Springfield had a mass recall on their handguns?? I can tell u mine fired itself in my house after being put in my safe... my safes back wall still has the bullet in it. It scared the living mess out of me. Have never touched it since.
pervis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 06:42 AM   #32
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

I’ve never had an issue carrying mine. The only reason I’ve been considering trading it for something is I want something new
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:24 AM   #33
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervis View Post
For u guys who think a xd is a safe gun to carry, do u guys not remember when Springfield had a mass recall on their handguns?? I can tell u mine fired itself in my house after being put in my safe... my safes back wall still has the bullet in it. It scared the living mess out of me. Have never touched it since.
Wow that is crazy, which model was it that fired, and are you talking about the XDS recall? Did you send your gun to Springfield to see why it fired, I would want to know what happened? Also was it stock, or had it been worked over? I just don't see how a the trigger safety, striker block safety, and grip safety could fail on an unmodified gun just setting there, because all three things have to be moved for an XD to fire. I don't remember a recall on the XD series, but that don't mean it didn't happen haha

Last edited by RJH1; 01-14-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #34
Deuce16
Eight Point

Hunt In: central TX

Already have an XD9 and just ordered this...... Thought it was a pretty good deal!

https://gunprime.com/product/springf...ags-range-bag/
Deuce16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #35
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Wasn't that the XDS that had the recall? The XD has been around for a while. It has a good track record from even before it was a Springfield. I just don't care for them.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #36
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddydog View Post
I always thought all striker fired guns were cocked when the slide is racked? Is Glock different?
The striker is put under tension, but it is not fully "cocked". There is also a firing pin, and drop safety that are only disengaged with a trigger pull.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #37
krisw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass County

Quote:
Wasn't that the XDS that had the recall? The XD has been around for a while. It has a good track record from even before it was a Springfield. I just don't care for them.

Yeah Iím pretty sure it was the original XDs guns that were recalled.
krisw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #38
pervis
Ten Point

Mine was a xdm Springfield took the gun back and sent me a new one. I tried to get them to replace my safe. Luckily the bullet didnt punch all the way through. They really didnt give me an explanation. It scared the crap out of me, my mom and dad were there at the time too. We were not very happy at all. Bought a glock 19 and havent even touched the Springfield
Old 01-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #39
pervis
Ten Point

It was a completely bone stock xdm
Old 01-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #40
pervis
Ten Point

When it happened, I had had the gun on me, I put it in the safe, closed the safe door, walked into the living room and boom! We all looked at each other like what the h? So I go back w my dad, unlock my safe and the gun had fired a round into the back wall of my safe. The empty casing was jammed, it didnt eject it. It was pretty nerve wracking
Old 01-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #41
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
When it happened, I had had the gun on me, I put it in the safe, closed the safe door, walked into the living room and boom! We all looked at each other like what the h? So I go back w my dad, unlock my safe and the gun had fired a round into the back wall of my safe. The empty casing was jammed, it didnt eject it. It was pretty nerve wracking
This is the kind of thing that scares me and prompted the initial post. The XD is cocked and held back by the sear. While a glock pulls the striker as part of the trigger pull motion. One has stored energy on the firing pin and one does not. Knowing the way both systems work would indicate two faulty safeties and the sear just letting go to have this incident. However, the same is just not possible with a glock trigger system, unless, of course, you have a ghost in your safe!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Last edited by -HIC-; 01-14-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #42
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
Inertia, I am not buying that. I am willing to rerun this test supplying the XDs and Glocks if someone brings beer, 1911's and primed brass.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #43
-HIC-
Ten Point

My guess is from 6 feet none will fire, but who knows.. Could be fun!

Old 01-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #44
Clay C
Ten Point

Default XD carriers

Quote:

So what youíre saying is Springfield took a perfectly good $250 Eastern European pistol, tweaked it, jacked up the price and it fires whenever it wants? Springfield should stick to 1911ís and screwing gun owners in Illinois

Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #45
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
So what youíre saying is Springfield took a perfectly good $250 Eastern European pistol, tweaked it, jacked up the price and it fires whenever it wants? Springfield should stick to 1911ís and screwing gun owners in Illinois

So, I am not the only one with XD questions. My 1911's are not being dropped so I can't test myself. I will drop my EDC glock, a 43, and a 19 on the concrete from 6 foot. If someone has a 1911 to test I will make the primed brass.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #46
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

I’ve put more rounds through an XD than most people have put through all their pistols combined. They’re fine.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #47
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
For those of you that carry a Springfield XD, does it bother you that the striker is back and ready to rock all the time?
Nope... and I'd argue that the XD is safer than a Glock for unintentional discharges.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #48
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
Nope... and I'd argue that the XD is safer than a Glock for unintentional discharges.
How would you argue that?

Old 01-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #49
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
How would you argue that?

Cause Glock leg is a real thing, I bet. Although other striker fired, safety-less guns are more susceptible to that than guns with DA/SA actions or safeties too. I know people will say lack of training blah, blah, but the truth is holstering is something you will do a lot, and complacency only has to set in once. I have heard of exactly 1 XD going off without anyone touching it, and that is in this thread, and without some more information it is hard to know why because the design of the gun should never let that happen. There are many reports of Glocks going off while holstered or being holstered, i will point out once again that Glocks are not the only guns susceptible to that.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #50
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
Iíve put more rounds through an XD than most people have put through all their pistols combined. Theyíre fine.
Yup. They're good guns. If you like it carry it. Keep your finger off the bang switch and make sure there is nothing in the way of or inside of your holster.