Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 12-18-2018, 10:21 AM   #201
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
I am in the same boat. I was thinking 300wsm, but not sure I want to be on the receiving end of that in a light gun. I wish I would have not already done a 7-08 in last years build. I really want to go bigger for this one, but may have to change my mind. I don't reload, so I can't really go with any fancy calibers.
7 Remington mag, 257 Weatherby, or something in the 270 variety are my top picks at the moment.
SwampBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #202
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
I am in the same boat. I was thinking 300wsm, but not sure I want to be on the receiving end of that in a light gun. I wish I would have not already done a 7-08 in last years build. I really want to go bigger for this one, but may have to change my mind. I don't reload, so I can't really go with any fancy calibers.
Go with a 300 wm and a brake, it's an oldie but is a solid performer with lots of factory options.

I was already contemplating this build before Robert through it out as a group build and am planning a 300wm. I reload and have looked at several 7mm and 30 cal mags but keep coming back to the tried and true.

For me, it meets the goal of running a 200-215 boolet at 2900-3000 in a 26 inch barrel and just like factory ammo selection it has a huge selection of new brass.

You can get 3100 from a 180 yet still have good performance from a 24 inch barrel if that's in your plans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #203
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Main Frame View Post
lightweight rig in 260 is sounding pretty good right now
This for sure!
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #204
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampBuck View Post
7 Remington mag, 257 Weatherby, or something in the 270 variety are my top picks at the moment.
257 weatherby was my initial thought
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #205
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Iím on the same page as slick 8. Will be doing 300wm with the best brake they offer in lightweight package. Iím beyond excited and we canít even order yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #206
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
Go with a 300 wm and a brake, it's an oldie but is a solid performer with lots of factory options.

I was already contemplating this build before Robert through it out as a group build and am planning a 300wm. I reload and have looked at several 7mm and 30 cal mags but keep coming back to the tried and true.

For me, it meets the goal of running a 200-215 boolet at 2900-3000 in a 26 inch barrel and just like factory ammo selection it has a huge selection of new brass.

You can get 3100 from a 180 yet still have good performance from a 24 inch barrel if that's in your plans.

I was thinking that, but I already have an old 300wm that I love.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #207
Abcdj
Pope & Young

I guess I missed the Tier options? Someone help me out here please!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #208
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
I guess I missed the Tier options? Someone help me out here please!
Tier 1 - The light option. APR Hunter(lighter) action, vertical grip carbon fiber stock, Carbon Barrel, bdl bottom metal. Basically a 6 lbish lean, mean hunting machine.

Tier 2 - The heavier option. APR G2 action(heavier), same vertical grip carbon fiber stock, Sendero contour cut-rifled barrel (fluted or not), Bdl bottom metal. This version could swap to a detachable mag for an additional fee. Should end up mid 7 lb range hitting 9ish with glass and be a couple hundred less than the all carbon.
Colton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 11:04 AM   #209
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Tier 1 - The light option. APR Hunter(lighter) action, vertical grip carbon fiber stock, Carbon Barrel, bdl bottom metal. Basically a 6 lbish lean, mean hunting machine.

Tier 2 - The heavier option. APR G2 action(heavier), same vertical grip carbon fiber stock, Sendero contour cut-rifled barrel (fluted or not), Bdl bottom metal. This version could swap to a detachable mag for an additional fee. Should end up mid 7 lb range hitting 9ish with glass and be a couple hundred less than the all carbon.
Thank you sir!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #210
jeffpg
Ten Point

Hunt In: All of USA & Africa

Well, I kept my nose out of last year's special deal, as I was gun poor enough and actually somewhat avoided the thread and the temptation to pull the trigger on yet another build, but... dang this'n looks even better!

Robert, you know me well enough after building my 28 ultralight to know that the lightweight version gets my vote.

Now, the chambering is a bit more difficult decision... I believe I have the 7mm and up covered and I've been looking at a 6.5. I'm a big fan of the SAUM but the PRC is hard to ignore.

I'm staying tuned in and weighing the options...
jeffpg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #211
JTCowpoke
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
Iím on the same page as slick 8. Will be doing 300wm with the best brake they offer in lightweight package. Iím beyond excited and we canít even order yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may be leaning this way also. I haven't done the research on other similar calibers yet, but I wouldn't be suprised if this is what I end up for a 500-700 yard elk gun.
JTCowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #212
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Quote:
Yep...wanting to build a 300WSM myself but not in a light gun. Got the figure out the "Tiers" for sure.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #213
cb4128
Ten Point

For those who reload and were considering the prc, the 6.5 GAP 4S or SAUM is a great way to go. The OAL is 2.900" for most loads guys are using (obviously depending on the reamer). vs the factory PRC ammo that is 2.940"

H1000 powder between 59-61.5gr is usually the sweet spot, going around 3,050-3,100 fps

**Robert addresses this in post #153 - works in an unmodified bdl setup
cb4128 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #214
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

A light weight rig is appealing but I canít say I have any caliber gaps currently except in maybe a sub 22 caliber, but that seems like a waste since I really donít varmint hunt.

Robert, what do you feel is the absolute longest OAL that will feed reliably in the light weight build? I have a factory 260 Rem mountain rifle, but might could be convinced to sell it in favor of one of these in a 260AI if it would work well within the mag box restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #215
JTCowpoke
Six Point

Also, is it possible to have a detachable mag in the light weight build?
Old 12-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #216
KC Huntin
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
Yep...wanting to build a 300WSM myself but not in a light gun. Got the figure out the "Tiers" for sure.

Yep I have one that tips the scales at about 7.3 lbs. No brake. Itís a head knocker.
KC Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #217
WTucker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Looking for a place

Quote:
The 7mm is really versatile, but I am thinking I want a 257 Weatherby. I have been for a while.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #218
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
257 weatherby was my initial thought
Do it!
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #219
Stick1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman

It looks like we have solved the Wyatt's box issue with the 6.5 PRC. Which should translate to all of the other cases that would need an extended mag box to run in a Rem patterned mag box. Going to knock out a few more parts and test again.

Last edited by Stick1; 12-18-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #220
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
A light weight rig is appealing but I canít say I have any caliber gaps currently except in maybe a sub 22 caliber, but that seems like a waste since I really donít varmint hunt.

Robert, what do you feel is the absolute longest OAL that will feed reliably in the light weight build? I have a factory 260 Rem mountain rifle, but might could be convinced to sell it in favor of one of these in a 260AI if it would work well within the mag box restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You are probably going to want an extended box to be happy with it.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #221
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post

It would be really hard to beat a 300WM in this package for a go anywhere, hunt anything rig running the 200 gr and up bullets. It's old school, but consistency and energy on target past 1k with the 215's is hard to argue when weighed against it's relatively mild manners with a good brake.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #222
BuckRage
Ten Point

interested in a 300wm myself. forgive my ignorance what is turn around time and payment look like again.

Last edited by BuckRage; 12-18-2018 at 03:55 PM.
BuckRage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #223
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRage View Post
interested in a 300wm myself. forgive my ignorance what is turn around time and payment look like again.
We are still waiting on a few things before we can post price and delivery schedule. Promise we are working on it as fast as we can.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #224
gneimeth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rosanky and Big Lake

I’m in for a 300wm - that’s my next purchase whether custom or not.

G.
gneimeth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #225
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpg View Post
Well, I kept my nose out of last year's special deal, as I was gun poor enough and actually somewhat avoided the thread and the temptation to pull the trigger on yet another build, but... dang this'n looks even better!

Robert, you know me well enough after building my 28 ultralight to know that the lightweight version gets my vote.

Now, the chambering is a bit more difficult decision... I believe I have the 7mm and up covered and I've been looking at a 6.5. I'm a big fan of the SAUM but the PRC is hard to ignore.

I'm staying tuned in and weighing the options...

It's going to be really tough to beat your last build from just about any angle That said, I'm betting you'll really like the PRC if you go that direction.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #226
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

What sort of lengths do the carbon barrels come in?
SwampBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #227
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas

Do you know if the stock will have flush cups on the side?
So 6.5 PRC will work now?
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #228
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by keatonskidmore View Post
Do you know if the stock will have flush cups on the side?
So 6.5 PRC will work now?
The flush cups are part of the hold up. After getting several requests for them, I went back to the manufacturer to see what the impact would be to pricing and delivery times. Hope to hear back by tomorrow.

The PRC will work on the short, but will cost a little more do to the modifications and tuning to get it there. It will take a Wyatt's, an ejector modification, a different follower and some tuning on the Wyatt's. I would still prefer to do them on the long to provide maximum flexibility for the round, not to mention the one we just did was one of the smoothest feeding bolt actions I've ever handled. The rounds literally jumped into the bolt face behind the extractor as they cleared the rails. You almost couldn't feel any feedback through the entire cycle.

Bottom line - We can do them on the short if that's what you want, but would recommend the long. There's only about 1/2" difference between them, but a big difference in how they run that round. We'll build them on whichever one you want.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #229
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
What sort of lengths do the carbon barrels come in?
One of the last pieces of the puzzle. We are down to two choices, ours or Proof. Ours will be any length over 16" in whatever twist rate you want. Proof will be whatever they offer in the twist rates that they do. I'll be giving an update on this tomorrow as well.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:57 PM   #230
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
The flush cups are part of the hold up. After getting several requests for them, I went back to the manufacturer to see what the impact would be to pricing and delivery times. Hope to hear back by tomorrow.

The PRC will work on the short, but will cost a little more do to the modifications and tuning to get it there. It will take a Wyatt's, an ejector modification, a different follower and some tuning on the Wyatt's. I would still prefer to do them on the long to provide maximum flexibility for the round, not to mention the one we just did was one of the smoothest feeding bolt actions I've ever handled. The rounds literally jumped into the bolt face behind the extractor as they cleared the rails. You almost couldn't feel any feedback through the entire cycle.

Bottom line - We can do them on the short if that's what you want, but would recommend the long. There's only about 1/2" difference between them, but a big difference in how they run that round. We'll build them on whichever one you want.

Sounds like long would be the way to go on the PRC. Iím still a little up in the air on caliber but leaning more towards 22 creedmoor for a light predator rifle.

Flush cups are very very high on my list of wants on it. Much more comfortable for hiking around. Also would like a detachable mag if possible.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:54 PM   #231
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Any 6.5x 300 weatherby mag fans out there?
Old 12-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #232
russb
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson, SE Oklahoma

For the guys thinking about the 257 Weatherby, what's your reasoning behind this caliber? I've been wanting a 257 Roberts for a little while now for a strictly medium game medium range gun. Yet they have been exceedingly hard to find. Is the 257 Weatherby that much better of a caliber. Was kind of wanting to stay away from the magnums since I already have one.
russb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #233
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

If something takes a step when using 257 weatherby, I am disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russb View Post
For the guys thinking about the 257 Weatherby, what's your reasoning behind this caliber? I've been wanting a 257 Roberts for a little while now for a strictly medium game medium range gun. Yet they have been exceedingly hard to find. Is the 257 Weatherby that much better of a caliber. Was kind of wanting to stay away from the magnums since I already have one.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #234
150class
Pope & Young

Default 2019 APR TBH Special Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by russb View Post
Because it’s awesome.

But seriously it’s a laser that packs a punch.

I had a Remmy 700 and then a custom from the last build in a 257 wby and combined those guns are 19 for 19 on critters with shots ranging from 35 yards to 402. Only 2 ran after the shot. One was 300 and change and the other was 402 and my shots were both a few inches back so user error.

Last edited by 150class; 12-19-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #235
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Because itís awesome.

But seriously itís a laser that packs a punch.
I assume that 20" barrel on a 257w would not be a good idea? Is that right?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #236
DJames
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora, TX

Quote:
Thatís my struggle, I think the 257 loses too much velocity at a 20Ē barrel
DJames is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #237
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

26" to get the full speed from 257.

Quote:
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #238
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
26Ē or nada for the wby

I did everything I could to shave the barrel down and everyone I spoke to at APR and elsewhere said itís a waste going any shorter then 26Ē
Old 12-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #239
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames View Post
Thatís my struggle, I think the 257 loses too much velocity at a 20Ē barrel
Well crap!
Old 12-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #240
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
26Ē or nada for the wby

I did everything I could to shave the barrel down and everyone I spoke to at APR and elsewhere said itís a waste going any shorter then 26Ē
That is not what I wanted to hear, but figured.

Are there any calibers besides 308 and 7-08 (Already have those) that can run effectively through a 20-22" barrel suppressed?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #241
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Quote:

Are there any calibers besides 308 and 7-08 (Already have those) that can run effectively through a 20-22" barrel suppressed?

From what Iím hearing, a 22 creedmoor will do well in a 22Ē. Iíve even seen some do a 18Ē.
Not sure if youíre wanting a 224 cal but that little round packs a serious punch using 80+ grain bullets.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #242
Stick1
Ten Point

With the new 131gr blackjack 25 cal bullets, a 25 based on the creed case starts getting interesting for a high performance shorter barreled quarterbore.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #243
russb
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson, SE Oklahoma

the 257 wildcat looks interesting, 110 accubonds at 3000fps.
russb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #244
kc5rkg
Eight Point

Hunt In: South TX

Quote:

Maybe a 260 rem with 22Ē
kc5rkg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #245
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5rkg View Post
Maybe a 260 rem with 22Ē
That could be fun!
Old 12-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #246
DJames
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
With the new 131gr blackjack 25 cal bullets, a 25 based on the creed case starts getting interesting for a high performance shorter barreled quarterbore.
Tell me more!!!!! How will it compare to the 260 in 22"?
DJames is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #247
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Huntin View Post
Yep I have one that tips the scales at about 7.3 lbs. No brake. Itís a head knocker.
I had a brake on my last 300WSM and it was very pleasant to shoot. I have actually had brakes on 300WSM, 300 RUM and 300 Jarrett. The 300 RUM was in the cheap plastic 700 stock and I went with a Vais brake. Did not tame the gun the way the other rifles did with a more traditional style brake and heavier stocks. Lesson learned for sure.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #248
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

If I don't go 7mm-08 I'm liking the looks of the 6.5 GAP 4S.
Then again, I could get a man bun and hunt everything from squirrels to elephants.
meltingfeather is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #249
JTCowpoke
Six Point

Quote:
I have a .260 that I shoot 129g bullets at 2800fps. Really accurate, one of my favorite hunting rifles.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #250
Stick1
Ten Point

As things solidify and we get closer to actually starting this thing, I'm going to continue sharing progress pics and details on this thread. Confirmed today that the stocks will include flush cups. Did not receive the actual pattern as expected, but did get some other patterns in from them. We went ahead and worked on a few finish options. Here is a peek at the stock finishes we plan to offer on this one.

How they will look on arrival(you can keep them raw CF if you want)

3 of the 4 camo patterns we will offer.

Close up of the camo with carbon fiber showing through.

We will also do 4 solid colors with webbing. Choices will be naked carbon fiber, 4 camo patterns and 4 solid base colors with webbing. Unless you guys have a request for something you would rather see. Put it here if so.

Thanks,
Robert