Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #51
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
So thatís slightly less than a pocket knife?
With me behind the knife. True story.
hoyt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #52
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
800 Foot Pounds is minimum for whitetail isnt it ? There is some really good info on minimum velocity and energy in the last Handloader magazine. I was really surprised at some bullet performance done at long distance. Once some bullets get below 1800 fps they start to fail.
At 800 Iím still over 2000fps
Old 01-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #53
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt21 View Post
At 800 Iím still over 2000fps
800 foot pounds of energy, is what the minimum is for whitetail. I dont think they tried ELDM at longer ranges just the ELDX and it performed poorly. Nosler did the best in their test LR Accubond I believe.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #54
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
800 foot pounds of energy, is what the minimum is for whitetail. I dont think they tried ELDM at longer ranges just the ELDX and it performed poorly. Nosler did the best in their test LR Accubond I believe.
I believe this was tested with the barnes lrx also. Good read
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #55
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

Quote:
800 Foot Pounds is minimum for whitetail isnt it ? There is some really good info on minimum velocity and energy in the last Handloader magazine. I was really surprised at some bullet performance done at long distance. Once some bullets get below 1800 fps they start to fail.
He's also using a .22 caliber bullet. The smaller the bullet gets, the more power you need to equal a larger bullet. Let's put this in perspective, how many people here would shoot a deer behind the shoulder with a .22 hornet if they weren't guaranteed to hit where they were aiming?

The only plus side to this story is that Hoyt was practicing at 1k before the shot and if the deer was roughly in the same direction as the steel he would have had the wind dialed in.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #56
Txsurveyor2014
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma and Angelina County

Quote:
Not trying to derail, but isnt the "energy" just a number that is thrown around? Bullets are designed to perform based upon velocity at impact. The required energy to actually kill cannot be calculated, or so I understand it (and that is subject to change, since I am relying on people with much more understanding)
Txsurveyor2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #57
Radar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txsurveyor2014 View Post
Not trying to derail, but isnt the "energy" just a number that is thrown around? Bullets are designed to perform based upon velocity at impact. The required energy to actually kill cannot be calculated, or so I understand it (and that is subject to change, since I am relying on people with much more understanding)
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/bu...tic-energy.php

I dont think its a number just thrown around, I dont see many people hunting lions with a pellet gun.

Last edited by Radar; 01-11-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #58
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Really great shooting, I have done the same think to a deer at long distance using my .270 so who really cares. Very impressive
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #59
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiplashTX View Post
He's also using a .22 caliber bullet. The smaller the bullet gets, the more power you need to equal a larger bullet. Let's put this in perspective, how many people here would shoot a deer behind the shoulder with a .22 hornet if they weren't guaranteed to hit where they were aiming?

The only plus side to this story is that Hoyt was practicing at 1k before the shot and if the deer was roughly in the same direction as the steel he would have had the wind dialed in.
Zoom over my right shoulder. And you can see the target we were shooting. She cane out between us and the target.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #60
Txsurveyor2014
Ten Point

Quote:
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/bu...tic-energy.php

I dont think its a number just thrown around, I dont see many people hunting lions with a pellet gun.
Correct, because a pellet gun cannot produce the velocity to make a bullet perform as designed, has nothing to do with energy.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #61
Radar
Ten Point

Quote:
Correct, because a pellet gun cannot produce the velocity to make a bullet perform as designed, has nothing to do with energy.
So a bullet the weighs 50 grains moving at 3000 fps will have the same power of a 225 gr bullet moving at 3000 fps?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #62
Txsurveyor2014
Ten Point

Quote:
So a bullet the weighs 50 grains moving at 3000 fps will have the same power of a 225 gr bullet moving at 3000 fps?
Nope, I was just asking how these numbers were derived, the calculator you linked should answer your question though.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #63
Radar
Ten Point

Quote:
Nope, I was just asking how these numbers were derived, the calculator you linked should answer your question though.
But the link I provided has energy in the equation which is a "thrown" around term, really has no meaning.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #64
Txsurveyor2014
Ten Point

Quote:
But the link I provided has energy in the equation which is a "thrown" around term, really has no meaning.
I am saying that this arbitrary number that is made up of a certain amount of energy required to kill an animal is "thrown around", but not scientifically based. Bullets are designed to perform at certain velocities not energies.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #65
Radar
Ten Point

Quote:
I am saying that this arbitrary number that is made up of a certain amount of energy required to kill an animal is "thrown around", but not scientifically based. Bullets are designed to perform at certain velocities not energies.
Probably get you a reloading manual and read about terminal ballistics. The energy I am talking about is what the bullet puts into the animal when it hits it. Some bullets are designed to release all of its energy inside the animal, creating a big wound channel and fragmenting inside the animal, other bullets are designed to penetrate deep and bust up shoulders and bones. Different animals require different bullets.

I am sure you can google how the terminal energy levels were developed.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #66
camoclad
Four Point

Hunt In: central tx

Nice shot. Round of choice seems on the small side, but who am I to judge? I'm a bowhunter, not the MOST efficient weapon to take an animals life with... starting to question it more and more as time goes on...
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #67
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

On a PD I have done several in the 1400-1500 range . Not the biggest deal as many have you sit wait for them to pop up an give it a try . On deer have not broken the 1000 mark yet 987 on a mule deer 300 RUM . Hand load 200 grain bullet
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #68
DPElite
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

I have no idea on what it takes to shoot long distance heck I canít even see that far much less shoot that far lol. Apparently you have done your homework on what it takes to kill an animal at those distances or you wouldnít have shot. Good job to you sir on taking home some meat for the freezer.
DPElite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #69
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker county

I guess every single person on here throwing rocks at the op have never made a bad choice and had an animal run off wounded. No matter how you look at it. Yes he made a bad choice by shooting long with the incorrect round. But Iíll be ****ed if you folks havenít waited a deer out 30min to make sure heís finished no diffrent he just didnít wait. I guess on the bright side itís good most of us on here are 100% perfect at everything we do. For what ever weíre hunting that is. Hipůcritas
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #70
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
Except this one didnt kill. It just hobbled the deer enough to allow the man to slit her throat.
Read it again.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #71
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
I guess every single person on here throwing rocks at the op have never made a bad choice and had an animal run off wounded. No matter how you look at it. Yes he made a bad choice by shooting long with the incorrect round. But Iíll be ****ed if you folks havenít waited a deer out 30min to make sure heís finished no diffrent he just didnít wait. I guess on the bright side itís good most of us on here are 100% perfect at everything we do. For what ever weíre hunting that is. Hipůcritas
But it isn't a "TIFU..." thread, it's a bragging thread.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #72
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
But it isn't a "TIFU..." thread, it's a bragging thread.
Bragging ? Iím just showing a shot made with a .224. If you knew me youíd know how humble I am. If you donít like it why donít you get on your little miniature zebra and ride off into the sunset ?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #73
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas

Good lord I don't get why everyone is jumping on him about caliber choice. And now everyone is a ballistics expert. 22 Creed does an excellent job because it can push the longer heavier .224 bullets much faster than most other .224 calibers. I'm willing to bet most people have no issue shooting deer with a 55 grain 22-250.
And obviously faster smaller diameter bullets can do better than some slower larger diameter bullets. Like a 26 nosler vs a 308.
Bottom line is the OP knew his ability with that rifle and felt comfortable taking the shot. He hit it in the vitals and happened to walk up on her before she expired so he sped it up to relieve her from suffering. I don't see any reason to judge him over it. There's no for sure way to know if she would have died sooner with the 28 nosler behind him or if he had the wrong wind hold with that gun and made a poor shot.

Nice shot OP and I can't wait to get my 22 creedmoor finished.
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #74
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hahaha the amount of “I need a tracking dog” threads on here once archery season starts and all of you want to criticize him for his shot and weapon of choice? He seems to be far more efficient with his weapon at that distance than those of you with a bow at 30-40 yds who choose to throw stones. Bunch of **** hypocrites that need to worry about their own abilities first.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #75
Spoiled_TN_boy
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Land

My 10 year old son took a Javi at Chapparal with 6.5 Grendel at 165 yards
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #76
Cbb1722
Ten Point

Only bow hunters would criticize a man over a deer running 80 yards and piling up with a rifle shot that sounds like was better shot placement than most arrows are....Itís an animal get over it
Cbb1722 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #77
bubba joe
Eight Point

haha, you said little miniature zebra
bubba joe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #78
txagyotebuster
Six Point

I'm just guessing that if he was able to walk up to her ans use the knife....she was almost dead anyway. She went 80 yds and piled up. Great shot and it worked.

Every day or 2 during archery only there are "need a tracking dog" threads. And probably half of those the deer isn't found.

He was practicing at long range and making kill shots. That is probably more than most "bowhunters" on here can say. If he can make that shot every time it is better than a guy with a bow shooting a 10" group at 30.
txagyotebuster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #79
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Perfect example why i quit sharing hunts on a hunting site. Good shot Hoyt
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #80
nativeaustin
Four Point

Hunt In: Seguin

My 13yo son, wife, couple of friends, some guy here working on our heater, have all shot pigs at the feeder that is 336 yards from our porch. I tee it up for them pretty good with the lead sled. I missed a raccoon at that distance though. I won't let my son shoot a deer farther than 150 or so. We don't practice enough.
nativeaustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #81
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

There is a different point of reference between rifles and bows. I'm not a fan of the long range pursuit type thing. I feel the same way about the long range shots on game with a bow.
Doesn't take away from the fact Hoyt made a great shot at long range.
Some really talented shots like Tim Wells make long shots on game. But to me that doesn't make Tim Wells a better bowhunter. Just a better long range shot. I wonder how many guys like him wound that end up edited out.
And I have to wonder if you Hoyt would have posted about that shot if it were a bit more back and after the 80 yard track she jumped up and ran off leaving no blood trail instead of a cut throat. Would you then have called in a dog? Most of us don't for a doe. Trophy buck is different.
I used to shoot 500 meter silhouettes. It was fun.
My longest, and one of my last, deer killed with a rifle was 265 yards. I shot a coyote at 285 an hour before that. That's when I put it down and decided if I didn't fill the tag with my bow I would eat tag soup.
Everyone has to find their own way. If that is the OP's way then that's fine. I'd bet he got a rush out of it just like I did on the doe I shot at 10 yards with my longbow the other day.
I'm just not sure where the line is between a shooter and a hunter.
I guess in the end I'm not qualified to make that decision so I'll just keep doing what I do and let others do what they do as long as it's within the regulations and laws.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 12:39 AM   #82
csmith936
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co/Houston Co

Keep shooting!!! P I S S on the haters
csmith936 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #83
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaustin View Post
My 13yo son, wife, couple of friends, some guy here working on our heater, have all shot pigs at the feeder that is 336 yards from our porch. I tee it up for them pretty good with the lead sled. I missed a raccoon at that distance though. I won't let my son shoot a deer farther than 150 or so. We don't practice enough.
I bet that is one service call he will never forget! Very cool!
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #84
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Read it again.
Ok.

Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 01-12-2019 at 08:30 AM.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #85
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Nice shooting. A 22creed kills very well. I’ve handled several does with it using 80.5 berger’s and 78gr tsx’s at 3420 and all have been drt where they stand. Lung shots. 22-250 will do it too. Granted distance will handicap I never shoot beyond 250 using them.

Quote:
Except this one didnt kill. It just hobbled the deer enough to allow the man to slit her throat.
Everything said here was covered up there ^^ So this wasnt really a necessary explanation with rollie eyes ��

Quote:
Ok.
I wasn’t trying to be disrespectful if thats how you read it.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #86
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Everything said here was covered up there ^^ So this wasnt really a necessary explanation with rollie eyes ��

I wasnít trying to be disrespectful if thats how you read it.
Heís always trying to hammer on long range shooting. As are several others. Just because they canít do it, they think nobody can. A bunch of bow hunters, most of which rarely kill anything with any weapon, and a bunch that need tracking dogs, want to hammer on a guy who practices with hundreds of shots, knows his equipment inside and out, knows wind calls, elevation, pressures, humidity, etc. to make a long distance shot. Flinging an arrow out of a bow that someone else tuned or isnít tuned at all, with a broad head they didnít tune to the bow....likely shot field tips and screwed on a broad head that ďshoots like a field tipĒ. Shot a few arrows the week before season and went hunting. Called a tracking dog after letting the deer lay for 12+ hours in Texas in October. Yeah. Letís hammer a gun hunter about ethics!! Hammer a guy that knows more about his weapon of choice than you do....some donít and wonít get it.

Good shooting brother. Congrats on the doe!!
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #87
bobby314
Eight Point

Is there a such thing as a mini zebra, I'ma go Google that.
bobby314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #88
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Impressive shooting, I’ve never even been anywhere that I could shoot steel/paper past 250 so can’t imagine what it takes to go that long
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #89
Leverhunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Glad you didnít lose her but to me it was a bad idea and not very ethical. To each his own though.
Agree with this. At that range it's not really hunting anymore.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #90
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Seems to me it’s a good thing he didn’t ask for anyone’s opinion on what they believe is hunting.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #91
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverhunter View Post
Agree with this. At that range it's not really hunting anymore.
And if you read my post we werenít ďhuntingĒ we were target practicing just so happen a target with four legs and delicious back strap stepped out.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:22 AM   #92
Trevor73402
Four Point

I don’t know how I missed this party. I’ll get in on it to give the haters a little more fuel. I’ve made several long range kills on deer here at the house. Long range to me is something over 500yds. I have my own 1,100 yard range here at home that I practice on. I have steel starting at 400yds out to 1,086yds. Two years ago I was up at the range verifying dope on a rifle because I had a club match the next morning. I had a 12” circle up at 950yds. I had fired 3 rounds at it, missing the first just off the right side, then connected on the next 2 shots for center impacts. (I had also made 3 shots and 3 impacts at 500yds as well just prior to this). I was done shooting at that point. As I was about to get up, my girl that was on glass said “a deer just walked out where you were shooting”. I got back on the rifle and he had stepped out into the shooting range literally just behind the 950yd plate. I still had the elevation dialed and I knew what the wind was. As soon as he cleared the plate rack, I sent it to him. He kicked high and hard in the back end and had that head down low run when he took off. We drove the Ranger down there and I found blood where he went into the woods. I had to track him about 250yds from point of impact. Shot was right behind the shoulder, maybe a 1/2” lower than what would have been considered ideal. To all the people that want to say this is luck or unpredictable shooting, to that I will say I shoot 3,000-4500 center fire rifle rounds per year. This is all precision rifle in 6mm and 6.5mm. Not pistol or AR15 stuff. I was extremely confident in that shot before I pulled the trigger. My rifle, my ammo, my range, and a warmed up shooter with solid dope.
Everyone has certain things they don’t care for when it comes to this type of stuff. A lot of people don’t like long range hunting. Some are ill informed. Some are jealous. Some are just buttheads that want to watch the world burn. Myself, I don’t like hunting with dogs. I don’t like lion hunting. I’m getting to where I don’t like bear hunting. We all have our dislikes. To each their own.

*** I also have a confirmed kill on a turkey at 775yds. There were atleast 8 witnesses there for that one. I was given a bet that “I couldn’t hit that turkey on the first shot”. Well.....no way in hell I was going to let that go unanswered. Again, this was on a private range that I was very familiar with. I had already fired probably 20-25 rounds on steel just prior to shooting the turkey. There was little question in my mind that I was going to hit him. Him moving during bullet time of flight was the only real concern.

Last edited by Trevor73402; 01-16-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2019, 01:37 AM   #93
castlegaphunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Upton, Crane County

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt21 View Post
Care to elaborate as to why this makes you cringe ?
Absolutely.

The fact that he used a caliber that he even states is "pushing the limits" is, in my mind, absurb. He had to go cut the throat of the deer because it didnt do enough damage. I understand that still happens with other calibers, but ita really not an argument.

I'm not saying he didnt have good intentions in mind and in the end the deer died, probably about as quick as a death by arrow, but dang lol.

It was just for fun, don't deny it. Just dont. You look silly if you say otherwise. And taking a pop at an animal with a gun that may not be lethal at that distance is just plain sketchy.

But congrats on the kill. You're pretty much like everyone of my friends lol. Hard getting through to people.
castlegaphunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2019, 01:38 AM   #94
castlegaphunter
Eight Point

Btw, i have nothing against long range hunting.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:52 AM   #95
castlegaphunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
He’s always trying to hammer on long range shooting. As are several others. Just because they can’t do it, they think nobody can. A bunch of bow hunters, most of which rarely kill anything with any weapon, and a bunch that need tracking dogs, want to hammer on a guy who practices with hundreds of shots, knows his equipment inside and out, knows wind calls, elevation, pressures, humidity, etc. to make a long distance shot. Flinging an arrow out of a bow that someone else tuned or isn’t tuned at all, with a broad head they didn’t tune to the bow....likely shot field tips and screwed on a broad head that “shoots like a field tip”. Shot a few arrows the week before season and went hunting. Called a tracking dog after letting the deer lay for 12+ hours in Texas in October. Yeah. Let’s hammer a gun hunter about ethics!! Hammer a guy that knows more about his weapon of choice than you do....some don’t and won’t get it.

Good shooting brother. Congrats on the doe!!
I agree with the logic presented here. But it's a bit off. So in order for me to be against someone shoting long distance with a caliber that could be argued as "insufficient" i first need to acknowledge that bowhunters have just as many mishaps.?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:55 AM   #96
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlegaphunter View Post
I agree with the logic presented here. But it's a bit off. So in order for me to be against someone shoting long distance with a caliber that could be argued as "insufficient" i first need to acknowledge that bowhunters have just as many mishaps.?
Itís off in your opinion. Not mine. I donít care about your opinion anymore than you care about mine.

Just let folks do what they please. Itís legal. You do you.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #97
Leverhunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Itís off in your opinion. Not mine. I donít care about your opinion anymore than you care about mine.

Just let folks do what they please. Itís legal. You do you.
There is a big difference between legal and ethical. A 790 yard shot with a marginal deer caliber that didn't really work that well pushes the ethics part.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #98
kcmarullo
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

Good shooting Op ! I am also into long range shooting , keep on sending !
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #99
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
There is a big difference between legal and ethical. A 790 yard shot with a marginal deer caliber that didn't really work that well pushes the ethics part.
I guess to be ethical he shouldíve let it slowly bleed out like a bow hunter
Old 01-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #100
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
You missed the part that says I shot. Got out of the high blind we were shooting from and drove straight over there. We couldnít give her 20-30 mins cause we had Nilgai being delivered. If I would of waited then went. She prolly would of been stiff already. Iíd take the shot again.