Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-09-2019, 01:01 AM   #1
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can
Default M700 value

What would a value be on a 92 model 700 adl composite stock, leupold vxII 3x9x50 scope and mounts, timney trigger in 7mm rem mag? A friend wants to buy mine and I don't want to give it away, but I don't want to overprice him. I most likely wont be able to shoot it again due to back surgery, so if I don't move it, it will go to grandchildren. If I sell it I will get something they can use now.
double bogey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 01:14 AM   #2
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Gonna give you wide windows:

Guessing you got a basic bones working 700adl so figure $350-$400
Scope is $125-$150
Trigger adds maybe another $50 or a little more as a package...you can part everything out for more if wanting to get most out of it, but comes a bit more painful.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 01:25 AM   #3
double bogey
Ten Point

I was thinking of asking $500. The scope is a 99 model if that makes any difference. I forgot to add, I did a rattle can paint job I copied from the diy forum on here. It looks pretty good,
{lots better than the black original}and I finished it with a high grade matt clearcoat for durability. It is a sub 1" rifle with some factory ammo, and I am including all the factory ammo I have and a set of RCBS dies.

Last edited by double bogey; 01-09-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:47 AM   #4
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by double bogey View Post
I was thinking of asking $500. The scope is a 99 model if that makes any difference. I forgot to add, I did a rattle can paint job I copied from the diy forum on here. It looks pretty good,
{lots better than the black original}and I finished it with a high grade matt clearcoat for durability. It is a sub 1" rifle with some factory ammo, and I am including all the factory ammo I have and a set of RCBS dies.
Depends on how much ammo you have. Bone stock (except for the trigger) i'd say the gun and scope is worth 500. This is figuring a low end leupold. Sorry to say but any rattle can paint job will bring the value down. So maybe 400 bucks plus ammo and dies.
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #5
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
Depends on how much ammo you have. Bone stock (except for the trigger) i'd say the gun and scope is worth 500. This is figuring a low end leupold. Sorry to say but any rattle can paint job will bring the value down. So maybe 400 bucks plus ammo and dies.
I think this is spot on and some may not agree but big calibers are hard to sell so price usually goes down before they do.
If your friend likes the paint job ask $550 or $450 without the scope.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 10:11 PM   #6
double bogey
Ten Point

He is asking the financial department if he can buy it for $500. When I painted it I figured if I didn't like it I would put a boyds or Richards microfit on it. But it turned out good. The marbleizing paint can really look good. Looks like this one, where I got the idea.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ht=stock+paint
Old 01-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #7
Jon B
Six Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Is it just the stock or the whole gun that you painted? I'd say $500 is fair if the barreled action wasn't desecrated by the customization!
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #8
KNP16
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by double bogey View Post
He is asking the financial department if he can buy it for $500. When I painted it I figured if I didn't like it I would put a boyds or Richards microfit on it. But it turned out good. The marbleizing paint can really look good. Looks like this one, where I got the idea.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ht=stock+paint
If he wants just the gun I would be interested in the scope.
KNP16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 11:51 PM   #9
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I’d say $500 was fair all around. He wouldn’t be getting a deal and you wouldn’t be taking it in the rear end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
double bogey
Ten Point

Just the stock is painted.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #11
double bogey
Ten Point

here is a pic
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #12
Jon B
Six Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Bogey, that looks excellent!
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 11:09 PM   #13
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Looks pretty good
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #14
Hunter58
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

For a friend I’d do $450-500 for the package
Hunter58 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #15
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Not the "rattle can" paint job I was expecting

I would not take any off for that job

Ammo isn't cheap so you might consider asking more if you have more than 1/2 box
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #16
double bogey
Ten Point

I followed directions on the link I posted above. Only knowing that can paint doesn't cure that hard, I waited several days between coats, put 3 for the tan. I wish I would have got another can of the marbleizing and wasted it practicing coverage. Got it a little heavier than I wanted to. Anyway, after I felt like it was cured enough, I applied multiple coats of clearcoat, giving several days between coats. I don't remember which clear coat I used, but I think it was for car wheels, as I got advice that it was one of the hardest. I had camoed a .22 mag before and liked the job I did, but the krylon clearcoat was too soft, and scratched too easy. There is some two part epoxy in spray cans, with a can on the bottom you twist on and mix up, but it had a limited shelf life after mixing, and cost about $35 a can, so I went with the wheels stuff. this appears tough, but I haven't had in in the field yet.

This is really pretty easy to do, I have another .22 that has a hardwood stock covered with brown stain to make it look like real gun wood, and I may do it in the future when I replace the trigger spring I cut off too short in an effort to improve the trigger. Those stocks are really ugly to me, like the factory Remington stock on the rifle in this discussion, so I don't think I could make it worse. Heck if one wanted to experiment, just take a 2x4 and learn on, like I said, this one wasn't hard at all, and I am an a/c guy, not any kind of painter. The key is to have the outer surface hard enough, or you will just beat the paint off.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #17
double bogey
Ten Point

Oh yeah, I took the rifle apart of course, and spent a good bit of time taping off what I didn't want painted. Didn't want any less clearance in the action areas, and the barrell channel. These come with a v shaped pressure point on the end of the stock, and it shoots so good I didn't want to change that. If I replaced the stock, I would free float the barrel and bed the action and see how it likes that. Not to hard to add some back on a wood stock, not sure if epoxy will stick to this plastic one or not. Some rifles like some barrel pressure, some don't.