Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-11-2018, 09:18 PM   #351
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

I have a simple Ruger American and it has been money straight out of the box for $349.
I did adjust the trigger spring. Lightweight. I have others but when I go hunting I grab the Ruger.

Jealous here of all those LDPs
I just thought I kill a lot of pigs!

BP

Last edited by Big pig; 02-11-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #352
bearintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20 minutes from the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
Even less with a suppressor.
FIFY

I can watch my impacts at 600 yards on 20x magnification from my predator. I have added a significant amount of weight as well.
bearintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #353
mako235
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySRT8U View Post
You still looking for a stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks to some nice folks on this website, I found what I needed. Thanks for checking!
mako235 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #354
bearintex
Pope & Young

Couldn’t wait any longer for Magpul to off their collective arses and bring the hunter to market, so I ordered an MDT chassis for my predator yesterday. Needed the mag capability to start playing with the PRS stuff.

Now who’s got an extra AR15 buttstock with an adjustable cheek riser they want to get rid of?
Old 11-11-2018, 10:25 PM   #355
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

anyone bought a bell and
carlson stock yet
Javelin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #356
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker county

How did I just now see this thread. I have 3 cm and used to be embarrassed to even mention it on tbh as I always found there to be a lot of hate towards that cartridge and even recalled several “fanboy” or “bandwagon” comments lol. I have the ruger American also and 2 tikkas and they are all three tack drivers. Some of my favorite rifles to take out and about even for varmints.
Txarrowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #357
bearintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearintex View Post
Couldnít wait any longer for Magpul to off their collective arses and bring the hunter to market, so I ordered an MDT chassis for my predator yesterday. Needed the mag capability to start playing with the PRS stuff.

Now whoís got an extra AR15 buttstock with an adjustable cheek riser they want to get rid of?
Didn't realize I never updated this.

RAP in an MDT LSS chassis topped with Athlon Ares 4.5-27 MIL.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #358
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

That looks good.

Drilled a doe with my RAP 6.5 CM with the Hornady 143 ELD-X Ammo at 130 yards Sunday. Bang flop high lung shot with complete pass through. Probably a 2" exit wound.

Like others have mentioned above, mine doesn't like the 120's or the Superformance ammo. Not sure if it is bullet weight or speed. It loves the 143 ELD-X and the Hornady Black 140's. It shoots the Hornady American Whitetail 129's plenty good also. I'd probably shoot those for whitetail at standard distances, but it was already sighted in for the 143's. Both the 140's and 143's have shot 1" groups at 200 off just a bipod with no bags for a rest. Smallest group was three shots touching at 200 with the 143's, and I am not a skilled rifleman at all.

I am curious on what it will do through a pig's shoulders, but no porkers showed up for me last weekend.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #359
Gary Roberson
Eight Point

This is the exact rifle that I recommended to several hunters wanting the perfect all around deer rifle. Only difference is that I would go with the DNZ mounts and Trijicon 3-9X40 scope with the green dot.
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #360
Joesell7444
Nubbin' Buck

Nice Gun
Joesell7444 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #361
roughneck266
Four Point

Hunt In: Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith936 View Post
Operation cheap truck gun- $700 minus suppressor

Bought the gun on Friday, slapped a cheap Nikon Buckmaster scope I had laying around on it, and went to the range Saturday morning!!!!

This is shots 16,17,18

A $400 gun shooting 1/4" groups with factory ammo

Looks like the same range I go to. Nice shooting BTW.
roughneck266 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #362
texasnavy05
Ten Point

Hunt In: Snook, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearintex View Post
Didn't realize I never updated this.

RAP in an MDT LSS chassis topped with Athlon Ares 4.5-27 MIL.

this is quite possibly the best chassis/distance combo that I've seen for the money. well done! you could spend a ton more money, but you won't get much more performance than that.
texasnavy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #363
Cottonfish
Ten Point

Hunt In: Smith County, Van Zandt County, Encinal

Got my long-awaited suppressor (Omega .30) in the other day, was able to shoot it at 485 yards last weekend. Still have some work to do, but it did well with it's favorite Hornady 140gr BTHP Black:

Name:  Suppressed RAR.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  RAR Target.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  50.0 KB

Not really happy with the weight of the Vortex on the gun, considering a lighter Leupold as I've been happy with a VX-5HD I put on my 7 mag. Haven't started loading for it yet, but have an 8lb jug of H4350 and a bunch of 143gr ELD-x bullets stashed for just that purpose.

Stu
Cottonfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 11:12 AM   #364
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

Last Sunday used my 6.5 to take a nice public land buck with 123 grain Honady SST hand loads.
Name:  20181202_120318.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  160.3 KB

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #365
IvoryRoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonfish View Post
Got my long-awaited suppressor (Omega .30) in the other day, was able to shoot it at 485 yards last weekend. Still have some work to do, but it did well with it's favorite Hornady 140gr BTHP Black:

Attachment 933772

Attachment 933773

Not really happy with the weight of the Vortex on the gun, considering a lighter Leupold as I've been happy with a VX-5HD I put on my 7 mag. Haven't started loading for it yet, but have an 8lb jug of H4350 and a bunch of 143gr ELD-x bullets stashed for just that purpose.

Stu
What stock did you go with?
IvoryRoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #366
mojohunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Jackson Co. and Tom Green Co.

Just picked up a 6.5 CM RAP. What size scope rings (low / medium / high) would yíall recommend for this set up? I will have Vortex 30mm tube with a 50mm objective lens. Not sure which model. My dad is giving me the scope. I also have an 1.5 in diameter suppressor I will be using.
mojohunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #367
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojohunter View Post
Just picked up a 6.5 CM RAP. What size scope rings (low / medium / high) would yíall recommend for this set up? I will have Vortex 30mm tube with a 50mm objective lens. Not sure which model. My dad is giving me the scope. I also have an 1.5 in diameter suppressor I will be using.
I just put Burris medium zee rings on mine. Vortex 30mm tube.
Highs are way too tall.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #368
Cottonfish
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryRoot View Post
What stock did you go with?
It's a Boyd's Heritage for the Ruger American Predator in nutmeg laminate. The Prairie Hunter appears to be the same stock, but has the relief cuts along the fore-end and I wanted the fuller profile. Shorter length of pull for grandson, added some checkering. Had to do a minor amount of fitting before Acraglas.

Stu
Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #369
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojohunter View Post
Just picked up a 6.5 CM RAP. What size scope rings (low / medium / high) would y’all recommend for this set up? I will have Vortex 30mm tube with a 50mm objective lens. Not sure which model. My dad is giving me the scope. I also have an 1.5 in diameter suppressor I will be using.
I set one up for my BIL and it has vortex low rings with a vortex intrepid with a 50mm objective. Sweet shooting rifle we have stayed well below sub-moa out to 500 yds so far and he has dropped 2 mulies at 275yd 200yds and a whitetail at 400yds with it using the Hornady 140gr ELD-M ammo. I have a another buddy that a RAP in 308 and its a tack driver with cheapo ammo. He wont buy anything close to $30 or more a box lol
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #370
dpg481
Ten Point

Hunt In: cass/hunt county

Have any of y'all had the barrel cut down on your 6.5 Ruger? By the time I put my can on the end and deal with it in the blind it's like a goose gun. My BIL has a custom built 6.5 cut down to 16'' but I'm thinking I would like to get it down to 18''. Any thoughts?
dpg481 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #371
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg481 View Post
Have any of y'all had the barrel cut down on your 6.5 Ruger? By the time I put my can on the end and deal with it in the blind it's like a goose gun. My BIL has a custom built 6.5 cut down to 16'' but I'm thinking I would like to get it down to 18''. Any thoughts?
Here is my ruger with the mdt chassis and vortex viper.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #372
Cottonfish
Ten Point

Quote:
The rifle I have pictured above is a Compact with a 20" factory threaded barrel. My thoughts are why spend the money on the extra 2" of barrel length on an inexpensive gun. Unless of course you have a gunsmith that can do it for not much cost. I'm getting about 2550 fps from a 140gr bullet, the 22" barrels are pushing the same projectile somewhat faster.

Stu
Old 12-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #373
mkk
Six Point

I just started a new budget gun project with a Ruger American Predator 6.5 CM

Started with the trigger, cut a coil and a half off and buffed parts. Nice 3# crisp trigger

Floated barrel, factory stock was touching on the left side

Had Ed Vanden Berg cut the barrel down to 18Ē

Worked up 5 loads with H4350 and Hornady 143 ELDX

Cheap Nikon 3x9 scope

Sandman Ti

Hit the node on the # 2 load - 39.5g H4350. 5 shots at 100yds

Will chrono when the weather breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mkk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #374
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Got a RAP 6.5 on Black Friday for my little boy because someone stole his deer rifle the Wednesday before. I was away from home and had to do quick sight in so he could hunt with it the remainder of the weekend. I grabbed a bore snake and cleaned it a few times with that before and during initial sight in. I've since played with it and cleaned it properly, but I'm not seeing the accuracy that most of you are. Is it possible that an improper break in may be the cause? I've shot the Hornady American white tails and the federal 140 grain non typical so far. Also 3 rounds of superformance 129's which were the least accurate of the 3 rounds tested. I did open the barrel channel up a bit, but just screwed the action screws back in snug because I don't have a torque wrench? Could that be a problem? Also threw some high rings on it since that is all Bass pro had that day so maybe some lower rings would help? I'd like to get this thing shooting as good as possible for him. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
cwill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 07:23 AM   #375
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk View Post
I just started a new budget gun project with a Ruger American Predator 6.5 CM

Started with the trigger, cut a coil and a half off and buffed parts. Nice 3# crisp trigger

Floated barrel, factory stock was touching on the left side

Had Ed Vanden Berg cut the barrel down to 18Ē

Worked up 5 loads with H4350 and Hornady 143 ELDX

Cheap Nikon 3x9 scope

Sandman Ti

Hit the node on the # 2 load - 39.5g H4350. 5 shots at 100yds

Will chrono when the weather breaks.

Post up your chrono results please. I would love to know what it does with the 18" barrel.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #376
El General
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
Got a RAP 6.5 on Black Friday for my little boy because someone stole his deer rifle the Wednesday before. I was away from home and had to do quick sight in so he could hunt with it the remainder of the weekend. I grabbed a bore snake and cleaned it a few times with that before and during initial sight in. I've since played with it and cleaned it properly, but I'm not seeing the accuracy that most of you are. Is it possible that an improper break in may be the cause? I've shot the Hornady American white tails and the federal 140 grain non typical so far. Also 3 rounds of superformance 129's which were the least accurate of the 3 rounds tested. I did open the barrel channel up a bit, but just screwed the action screws back in snug because I don't have a torque wrench? Could that be a problem? Also threw some high rings on it since that is all Bass pro had that day so maybe some lower rings would help? I'd like to get this thing shooting as good as possible for him. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Mine hated superformance and the 120 grain ammo. It shoots the American Whitetail pretty good. It loves the Hornady precision hunter in 143 Gr ELD-X. Next best is the 140 grain Hornady black.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #377
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

Quote:
I would take it apart and start over.
You say you were in a hurry when setting it up.
I have found a couple loose screws in the factory mounted bases.
As far as break in, I don't have any special rituals. Just load it and shoot and clean when dirty.

Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 09:12 AM   #378
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
Mine hated superformance and the 120 grain ammo. It shoots the American Whitetail pretty good. It loves the Hornady precision hunter in 143 Gr ELD-X. Next best is the 140 grain Hornady black.
I will pick up the eld-x and blacks to try. The American whitetails I had we're 129's and they shot about as well as the 140gr federal soft points. The Hornady blacks are not a suitable hunting bullet correct?
Old 12-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #379
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowyer View Post
I would take it apart and start over.
You say you were in a hurry when setting it up.
I have found a couple loose screws in the factory mounted bases.
As far as break in, I don't have any special rituals. Just load it and shoot and clean when dirty.

Had Bass pro of all places set it up and bore sight due to time and not having the proper tools. Everything seems tight and level, but I plan to change the rings when I can so I'll start over then. I need to get a torque wrench to make sure everything is in spec. My concern on the breaking in is that I didn't scrub the bore properly prior to the first shots secondary to only having the bore snake. I put about 12 rounds through it for sight in and a couple more on hogs so hopefully that didn't bother anything. Thanks
Old 12-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #380
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Had Bass pro of all places set it up and bore sight due to time and not having the proper tools. Everything seems tight and level, but I plan to change the rings when I can so I'll start over then. I need to get a torque wrench to make sure everything is in spec. My concern on the breaking in is that I didn't scrub the bore properly prior to the first shots secondary to only having the bore snake. I put about 12 rounds through it for sight in and a couple more on hogs so hopefully that didn't bother anything. Thanks
I wouldn't be worried about the break in procedure; I would be worried about the scope / rings. The 6.5 RAPs seem to consistently shine with ELD-X and mine's no exception. Good luck getting it dialed in.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #381
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
I wouldn't be worried about the break in procedure; I would be worried about the scope / rings. The 6.5 RAPs seem to consistently shine with ELD-X and mine's no exception. Good luck getting it dialed in.
So the scope is a Leupold vx3i 4.4-14x50 with 1" tube. Rings are Nikon steel series highs. The rings have left and right halves and look like the warne Maxima rings. They seem very solid but the bottom of the objective is a good bit higher than the top of the barrel. Not sure how much that matters?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #382
El General
Ten Point

Quote:
I will pick up the eld-x and blacks to try. The American whitetails I had we're 129's and they shot about as well as the 140gr federal soft points. The Hornady blacks are not a suitable hunting bullet correct?
Correct.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #383
TB80
Ten Point

Quote:

I havenít used the blacks for hunting but have heard they are acceptable to use in predators and hogs. Iím sure others will chime in that have experience with them.
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #384
TB80
Ten Point

Quote:

I havenít used the blacks for hunting but have heard they are acceptable to use in predators and hogs. Iím sure others will chime in that have experience with them.
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #385
bearintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
Ditto. Loves the Black.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #386
mkk
Six Point

Quote:
Post up your chrono results please. I would love to know what it does with the 18" barrel.

Average 2445
SD - 11.2

Old 12-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #387
PROD49
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

I just ordered one for my wife along with a Timney Trigger. Excited to see what it does! I did notice that the options for aftermarket hunting stocks is limited.
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #388
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
So the scope is a Leupold vx3i 4.4-14x50 with 1" tube. Rings are Nikon steel series highs. The rings have left and right halves and look like the warne Maxima rings. They seem very solid but the bottom of the objective is a good bit higher than the top of the barrel. Not sure how much that matters?
The high rings might affect your cheek weld. I prefer a good,solid cheek weld and usually go for the lowest rings that will give me a solid cheek weld. My CZ 527 American would only allow for the high rings with a 40 mm objective due to the height of the bolt when opened. I bought a comb raising kit that solved the problem. I could have ordered a replacement bolt, but they were always out of stock.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #389
ShoootLow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Most of Texas

This is the black at 120 yards. Acceptable?
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #390
mkk
Six Point

The Sierra 130 TGK is also an excellent round. Loaded towards the top of max load with H4350 yielded 2720 FPS and sub MOA group

Old 01-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #391
cookemerkel
Ten Point

Finally got to stretch out the RAP 6.5 a little. Wind was steady 10-20 mph but managed to do ok. Itís an addiction I didnít see coming.

cookemerkel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 10:50 PM   #392
Jon B
Six Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

They are light. I'd go VX-2 2-7 or 3X9. For as cheap as they are they are super accurate.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #393
Chad C
Pope & Young

I have an MDT chassis I'll sale for $250/OBO, never been used. If anyone is interested.

It is Black and they're $400 new. Right handed Ruger American Short Action.

PM if interested. Otherwise, I'll list it in the classifieds.

Last edited by Chad C; 01-17-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2019, 11:21 PM   #394
bearintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
I have an MDT chassis I'll sale for $250/OBO, never been used. If anyone is interested.

Which chassis?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:22 PM   #395
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default Ruger Predator 6.5 Creedmoor.......gotta see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post

MDT LSS Short Action for Ruger American

The chassis currently has a pistol grip, buffer tube and Magpul stock installed. They come with and can be changed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-17-2019, 11:23 PM   #396
bearintex
Pope & Young

Ok, that’s the same one I have already. Wish it was the xl.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #397
Chad C
Pope & Young

I posted it in the classifieds... https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...4#post13934234