Help 2019 Ford Expedition Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my retired parents bought a used ford expedition with 60ish thousand miles on it. It’s loaded and has the ford pass app. The problem is that it sits for extended periods of time sometimes ten days or more before mom needs to go somewhere. If it sits too long the battery goes dead. I think this is somehow due to the app constantly communicating with the car. Battery and alternator are new and have been checked by technicians at ford and at oriellys and test good. They just don’t drive it enough to keep it charged up. So my question is have any of y’all dealt with this and what did you do to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a trickle charger on it, used to have to do that with our Excursion because we didn’t drive it enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      Put a trickle charger on it, used to have to do that with our Excursion because we didn’t drive it enough.

I thought the same but that didn’t satisfy dad. “Shouldn’t have to do that on a 60k dollar vehicle. The Tahoe we traded in with 300k miles would start every time no matter how long it sat.”

Comment

Battery cut off switch.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          Battery cut off switch.

I agree that would work but it’s just a bandaid and not really fixing the real problem.

Comment

These new cars need to be driven more than 10-15 minutes at a time. There are a lot of electrical demands on the charging system. The bms (battery monitoring system) keeps track of the amps going in and out of the battery. Drive it more and you won’t have any problem.

Comment

My 2022 F250 goes into deep sleep mode if I don't drive it for more than 3-4 days. App tells me remote features have been disabled. Not sure if it is the app. Don't think it communicates that much. At least my 2019 F250 never had any issues. I go long periods without driving due to working from home. Never had a issue. Good luck figuring it out. Sure it is annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
                I thought the same but that didn’t satisfy dad. “Shouldn’t have to do that on a 60k dollar vehicle. The Tahoe we traded in with 300k miles would start every time no matter how long it sat.”

I'm with your dad
                Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                These new cars need to be driven more than 10-15 minutes at a time. There are a lot of electrical demands on the charging system. The bms (battery monitoring system) keeps track of the amps going in and out of the battery. Drive it more and you won’t have any problem.
                Lol

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                  My 2022 F250 goes into deep sleep mode if I don't drive it for more than 3-4 days. App tells me remote features have been disabled. Not sure if it is the app. Don't think it communicates that much. At least my 2019 F250 never had any issues. I go long periods without driving due to working from home. Never had a issue. Good luck figuring it out. Sure it is annoying.

Yeah I have a 2022 F-250 and it does the same. I don’t drive it for 3 or 4 weeks and most of the time it’s half a mile to the gym.

I should probably sell it and buy a boat I’ll never use[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Here’s a little info on the system.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I_KmO-KaR4A"]Ford BMS Battery Monitoring System: How it Works and How to Properly Charge Your Battery! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

It's pretty normal for a expedition , sure trucks have a lot of electronics but the expedition is full of the them probably 20-30 modules or small computers they definitely 2 weeks is about the max before the battery will die its just the price you pay for all the electronics that most people don't even know how to use lol

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post

Now that is the kinda answer I was looking for. Very informative thank you.

I still say you shouldn’t have to do all that though. Dang vehicle is so smart it literally kills itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
                          Now that is the kinda answer I was looking for. Very informative thank you.

I still say you shouldn’t have to do all that though. Dang vehicle is so smart it literally kills itself.

I suspect you might have a weak battery though. If that AGM battery is a few years old it can give problems like that.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                            This is a computer program glitch that Ford is aware of. They are supposed to have a fix soon.

Comment

2022 platinum with 6k miles .. been at the dealer twice .. last time they had to replace the battery ... still doing it ... on mine there are misc things that don't turn off ... sometimes i'll walk by to get the mail after dark .. no keys in hand and the ambient lighting will be on .. sometimes the accessory doesn't turn off .. sometimes the backlight on the display stay on ... i just bought a jump start box on black friday because of that ...

totally unacceptable and dealer has no idea on how to fix it .. they won't even return my calls now ...

i opened a case with customer service direct from ford and no peep from them either ..

it has gremlins , the other thing super annoying is every 45 minutes to an hour the recirculate will turn itself off , light still on but vent start blowing air from highway speed ... exactly 2 minutes later , it shuts back off ... they can't duplicate that problem either..

i love the truck , but these issues are super annoying ... i hope a firmware update fixes it ..
                              oh and some times my view settings get reset and the entire system turns off and resets while i'm driving ... that would be super annoying if on a call or following driving directions

other that that , the truck has been great , autopilot works really good driving to the ranch while getting a massage ... combined driving in last 6000 miles is 20.1mpg .. and that's combined city and highway up to 75 speed limit with the occasional stomp on it to pass a chevy ...

Comment

Working...
                              X