2023 Bow Reviews/Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2023 Bow Reviews/Impressions

With most of the new bow models having dropped, I felt the annual pull to go to CCR and try the ones that seemed interesting. I've been on a long journey of just trying different manufacturers every year or two the past couple of years. I can't help but tinker with setups, so archery tinkering has become as much of a hobby as bowhunting itself has. Just for reference here's what I've been shooting over the years: Reflex, Mathews Switchback XT, Mathews Chill R, Mathews Halon, Mathews Vertix, Bowtech Reckoning (35), Bowtech Revolt X, Prime Nexus 4, and most lately a Prime Inline 5.

In my mind, I figured there was a decent chance I would be coming home with an Elite Omnia, but I was going to shoot several and see how I felt. Overall bows were tested at 27.5" DL, 70# DW, and 80% LO.

Elite Omnia: This bow is quiet, firmly in Mathew's camp quiet. They ship with the performance mods, and there is definitely a stiff section toward the end of the draw before it drops into the valley. It was unfamiliar but not uncomfortable. There was a noticeable tick from the cable stops though as the bow hit full draw. It is probably the most adjustable bow in existence outside the new Bowtech Reckoning Gen 2s. You get 1/4" DL adjustment, SET (their pocket/cam lean tuning), micro adjustable letoff, and an adjustable cable card. The bow comes with a 347 IBO claim, and I think it probably lives up to it. Fit/finish were excellent, and the grip was great. I will be interested to see if this bow gets Elite some traction where they haven't had any before. It is all "traditional" accessories, no dovetails or "centered" sight mounting system. With a 32" ATA I was very happy with the string angle, and the valley was generous given the let-off setting. Overall its still #2 on my list, may see if I can look at the cable stops again and see if there is a way to quiet them down a little. This bow also can accommodate a set of smooth mods, which I didn't shoot, but what I've heard are exactly what they sound like with a loss of some speed. If you like adjustability and quietness.... I don't think there is a hunting bow that matches it this year.

Hoyt ZTM 31 & 34: For some reason I was looking forward to these before I even put my hands on them. Hoyt continued with their HBX Pro cam from the Ventum Pro lineup, and it is smooth and quick. The draws are pretty linear and comfortable, but the valleys are a a little short when in the 80% let-off setting. They were both very quiet, and the grips were repeatable and comfortable. The string angle with both was not an issue, and both bows wanted to sit vertically and stable for me. I haven't owned a Hoyt product in almost 20 years, but I may just end back up there. The bows feel solid, are low vibration, and the HBX Pro is a very efficient cam. Right now these are at #1 of the bows I've actually shot. Tuning is via shims, but as I have a press, I'm not really concerned with that. The rest dovetail and the picatinny sight mount, given me excuses to try some new configurations.

Mathews Phase 4: Mathews wasn't on my list for this year, but I shoot their flagship every year just to touch base. The bow doesn't feel any different to me draw/hold wise that the last 2 years. It is quieter and has less vibration than last year, but I'll admit I was somewhat disappointed. I was expecting a life changing dead in the hand, and instead it was more of a "hrm that is nice and quiet". It's a great bow and oozes high quality like Mathews has for a while now. I shot them for almost a decade for good reason. They and Hoyt are moving to "systems" at full speed. Both are using integrate, but have different solutions for sight mounting. This year Mathews moved another step into Bridgelock world providing that as a solution for stabilizers. The bow still supports the traditional stabilizers, sights, and rests, but its been designed around bridgelock and integrate. Its a cool package, and it appears the war is now at full tilt for better accessories in the bow world.

Hoyt RX 7 Ultra: I shot this bow simply to compare to the VTM 34. I don't know how its possible but I think its a smoother draw and as quiet even though they share cams, and possibly even limbs. If you really don't care about speed, and have a thing for carbon.... I see why these have been so popular. Smooth, quiet, and carbon.

PSE Levitate: I hadn't shot one, carbon wasn't really in the cards this year, but I wanted to compare a slightly more aggressive cam to the Elite in performance mode. The Levitate feels like a toy (not in a cheap way, but its just really light). The draw was smooth with a nice stiff part in the end before going into the valley. After shooting all the smooth cams, that hump stood out, but I also think if you put two dozen arrows through it.... you wouldn't ever notice it again. It had the most vibration of anything I shot, but that's to be expected in a bow that light, with a fairly aggressive cam. If you're looking for the lightest thing around, I don't think it can be beat.

Hoyt Z1S: This is the bow I really really wanted to shoot, but the shop didn't have theirs yet. Its why I didn't come home with a bow probably lol. The Z1S is the new Hoyt "speed" bow this year. Rated at 350 fps but with a 5 7/8" BH and 33" ATA. I haven't owned/shot a true speed bow before, so if the draw isn't horrendous I wanted to consider it. This year it has a new cam that is based off the HBX Pro cam called the S-type. An early online review says it may be the fastest thing this year, and the draw didn't seem horrible, but would take some getting used to.

Bowtech SS34: I shot this one to just touch base with Bowtech again. It felt familiar. Its smooth, its got deadlock, the grip still feels like cheap plastic. Having owned a Revolt X and a Reckoning, this bow just made me nod, and say yep... that's Bowtech. It may be a slightly quieter than my Revolt X was, but all in all it didn't feel that different. Solid bow, just nothing I haven't experienced already on their platform.

Anyway that's one guy's impressions for several bows that have come out this year. For me it will be a Hoyt or Elite likely, but I kinda want to try a PSE Omen as well.

A big thanks to Fishndude for setting up and entertaining me shooting bow after bow!

Good stuff. Thanks !

Comment

Thanks for the write up. I want to shoot the omen as well

Comment

Good writeup, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by lazuras_dc View Post
          Good stuff. Thanks !
          Originally posted by kd350 View Post
          Thanks for the write up. I want to shoot the omen as well
          Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
          Good writeup, thanks for sharing.
          Y'all are welcome

Comment

Looks like you are going to have to add the carbon Elite to your test before you decide also. That should be an interesting bow. I saw one leaked pic but no specs yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
              Looks like you are going to have to add the carbon Elite to your test before you decide also. That should be an interesting bow. I saw one leaked pic but no specs yet.

Yeah the Era could be interesting. I’m betting it’s similar to the RX 7 Ultra. Looks to be a taller brace height, but all the specs should come out officially on the 6th I think.

Comment

Very nice write up. Thanks for posting all this info.

I know you had a lot fun in gathering all the data though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                  With most of the new bow models having dropped, I felt the annual pull to go to CCR and try the ones that seemed interesting. I've been on a long journey of just trying different manufacturers every year or two the past couple of years. I can't help but tinker with setups, so archery tinkering has become as much of a hobby as bowhunting itself has. Just for reference here's what I've been shooting over the years: Reflex, Mathews Switchback XT, Mathews Chill R, Mathews Halon, Mathews Vertix, Bowtech Reckoning (35), Bowtech Revolt X, Prime Nexus 4, and most lately a Prime Inline 5.

In my mind, I figured there was a decent chance I would be coming home with an Elite Omnia, but I was going to shoot several and see how I felt. Overall bows were tested at 27.5" DL, 70# DW, and 80% LO.

Elite Omnia: This bow is quiet, firmly in Mathew's camp quiet. They ship with the performance mods, and there is definitely a stiff section toward the end of the draw before it drops into the valley. It was unfamiliar but not uncomfortable. There was a noticeable tick from the cable stops though as the bow hit full draw. It is probably the most adjustable bow in existence outside the new Bowtech Reckoning Gen 2s. You get 1/4" DL adjustment, SET (their pocket/cam lean tuning), micro adjustable letoff, and an adjustable cable card. The bow comes with a 347 IBO claim, and I think it probably lives up to it. Fit/finish were excellent, and the grip was great. I will be interested to see if this bow gets Elite some traction where they haven't had any before. It is all "traditional" accessories, no dovetails or "centered" sight mounting system. With a 32" ATA I was very happy with the string angle, and the valley was generous given the let-off setting. Overall its still #2 on my list, may see if I can look at the cable stops again and see if there is a way to quiet them down a little. This bow also can accommodate a set of smooth mods, which I didn't shoot, but what I've heard are exactly what they sound like with a loss of some speed. If you like adjustability and quietness.... I don't think there is a hunting bow that matches it this year.

Hoyt ZTM 31 & 34: For some reason I was looking forward to these before I even put my hands on them. Hoyt continued with their HBX Pro cam from the Ventum Pro lineup, and it is smooth and quick. The draws are pretty linear and comfortable, but the valleys are a a little short when in the 80% let-off setting. They were both very quiet, and the grips were repeatable and comfortable. The string angle with both was not an issue, and both bows wanted to sit vertically and stable for me. I haven't owned a Hoyt product in almost 20 years, but I may just end back up there. The bows feel solid, are low vibration, and the HBX Pro is a very efficient cam. Right now these are at #1 of the bows I've actually shot. Tuning is via shims, but as I have a press, I'm not really concerned with that. The rest dovetail and the picatinny sight mount, given me excuses to try some new configurations.

Mathews Phase 4: Mathews wasn't on my list for this year, but I shoot their flagship every year just to touch base. The bow doesn't feel any different to me draw/hold wise that the last 2 years. It is quieter and has less vibration than last year, but I'll admit I was somewhat disappointed. I was expecting a life changing dead in the hand, and instead it was more of a "hrm that is nice and quiet". It's a great bow and oozes high quality like Mathews has for a while now. I shot them for almost a decade for good reason. They and Hoyt are moving to "systems" at full speed. Both are using integrate, but have different solutions for sight mounting. This year Mathews moved another step into Bridgelock world providing that as a solution for stabilizers. The bow still supports the traditional stabilizers, sights, and rests, but its been designed around bridgelock and integrate. Its a cool package, and it appears the war is now at full tilt for better accessories in the bow world.

Hoyt RX 7 Ultra: I shot this bow simply to compare to the VTM 34. I don't know how its possible but I think its a smoother draw and as quiet even though they share cams, and possibly even limbs. If you really don't care about speed, and have a thing for carbon.... I see why these have been so popular. Smooth, quiet, and carbon.

PSE Levitate: I hadn't shot one, carbon wasn't really in the cards this year, but I wanted to compare a slightly more aggressive cam to the Elite in performance mode. The Levitate feels like a toy (not in a cheap way, but its just really light). The draw was smooth with a nice stiff part in the end before going into the valley. After shooting all the smooth cams, that hump stood out, but I also think if you put two dozen arrows through it.... you wouldn't ever notice it again. It had the most vibration of anything I shot, but that's to be expected in a bow that light, with a fairly aggressive cam. If you're looking for the lightest thing around, I don't think it can be beat.

Hoyt Z1S: This is the bow I really really wanted to shoot, but the shop didn't have theirs yet. Its why I didn't come home with a bow probably lol. The Z1S is the new Hoyt "speed" bow this year. Rated at 350 fps but with a 5 7/8" BH and 33" ATA. I haven't owned/shot a true speed bow before, so if the draw isn't horrendous I wanted to consider it. This year it has a new cam that is based off the HBX Pro cam called the S-type. An early online review says it may be the fastest thing this year, and the draw didn't seem horrible, but would take some getting used to.

Bowtech SS34: I shot this one to just touch base with Bowtech again. It felt familiar. Its smooth, its got deadlock, the grip still feels like cheap plastic. Having owned a Revolt X and a Reckoning, this bow just made me nod, and say yep... that's Bowtech. It may be a slightly quieter than my Revolt X was, but all in all it didn't feel that different. Solid bow, just nothing I haven't experienced already on their platform.

Anyway that's one guy's impressions for several bows that have come out this year. For me it will be a Hoyt or Elite likely, but I kinda want to try a PSE Omen as well.

A big thanks to Fishndude for setting up and entertaining me shooting bow after bow!
                  I just shot, then bought it (Hoyt RX 7), definitely smooth and quite. (Currently own a Hoyt Nitrum D)

Comment

Originally posted by KoonceCrushed View Post
                    I just shot, then bought it (Hoyt RX 7), definitely smooth and quite. (Currently own a Hoyt Nitrum D)

It’s impressive for sure. Some say Hoyt mailed it in this year, and they may have needed to, but that is also a bow that was worthy of running for 2 years.

Comment

Specs on the Era are reported to be 31.25 ATA and 7.25 brace. 3.9 llbs

Comment

Originally posted by samson33 View Post
                        Specs on the Era are reported to be 31.25 ATA and 7.25 brace. 3.9 llbs
                        Yeah I'm gonna guess quiet, and low 330s in IBO.

Comment

Held a phase 4 out of state this weekend killing time. Much better balanced bow than last years model and it was the shorter (which I don’t prefer) didn’t shoot due to the performance but it was a good looking bow and one of the better/best feeling bows by Mathews (that I typically despise). They didn’t have the elite or BowTech there

Comment

thank you for the info.

Comment

I want to shoot the revex 6 if they ever get one in but my top two is the rx7 ultra and the BY SS34. If price were no object I’d get the rx7 but having a hard time talking myself into spending $1900 on a bare bow.

Comment

Working...
                              X