1st Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Bow

I remember my first bow like it was yesterday. My step-dad brought home 2 bows. His, an old Bear compound bow. Which I believe he still has. Mine. Mine was Red. Cool. Looked like a fancy Longbow. When the string broke. He replaced it with weed eater string.

I grew up pretty dang poor. I didn't know it. That bow made me feel like a millionaire. I shot targets from all over. Up high in a tree. On the ground. Standing. Sitting. You name it.

I remember strapping that bow on my back pack. Rode through town on my bike. I was going hunting. Setup in a nice open field. I was around 10yrs old. Not one animal poked their head out that day.

On that hot day mid July. A passion for bow hunting began.

My first bow was a little red bear bow my dad gave me. He cut down some of his old aluminum arrows so I would have more than the 3 wooden ones it came with. We would go out to Lake Tyler and look for Styrofoam blocks that had drifted away from a random dock. Spray paint some spots on it and fire away. I chiseled away at those Styrofoam blocks until there were holes in them and then we would look for more.

Comment

Back right out of high school, I took a job at the old Gander Mountain in Sherman. I would check in bow cases at the front making sure folks weren't taking broadheads into the range.. this intrigued me, so I saved up my pennies and bought a Gander Mountain TecHunter. It was slow and loud, but I shot the absolute pizz out of that bow. Been hooked ever since.

Comment

Mid 80's. I was 10. Little red compound with wooden arrows. I shot a lot. I probably shot better then than I do now.

Comment

I am a first generation hunter. I was around 10-11 when I got my first compound bow, Golden Eagle. Late 90s.

Comment

I recently got my first bow about 2 months ago from a friend at work. Bought a target bag and had some arrows cut. I must say I'm hooked. Wish I would of started a long time ago! He suggested this site and I've been in the background digging through the vast catalog of information that is provided here!

Comment

I had one of those red long bows with the wooden arrows.I was probably ten or eleven as I got older some of the neighborhood dads would pass me there old bows.First new bow I bought when I was 16 in 1994 it was a Bear Black Panther that I gave to a kid about 2 years ago.

Comment

I shot a bow for the first time at Boy Scout camp at age 12 and just loved it. (summer of 1968) I saved my paper route money and bought a bow at the local sporting goods store - a 30# Shakespeare made of green fiberglass. It had a white rubber handle with a built-in shelf. My dad stuffed a burlap bag with pine straw for a target. I shot it for a few years then lost interest. I bought my next bow 28 years later in 1996 - the cheapest PSE on the shelf at the old Trophy Archery. I think it cost $200.

Comment

Made my first bow between 8 and 10 years old out of a tree limb in the back yard. Used some string my dad had from work, and made used some sticks from kites for my first arrows. Then made a batch of lighter arrows from something growing in one of the neighbors yard that had died.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

Indian recurve late 60’s still have it. Have an old Pearson long bow hanging around also. Found and ordered new string for it a few years back but haven’t messed with it. I remember looking down and rolling my wood arrows looking for the straightest ones.

Comment

My first bow I got in the early 80s, I was probably about 11. The bow was an old Ben Pearson, fiberglass bow from the 60s. One of our neighbors was selling it and some arrows in a garage sale. I bought it, had no string, I got a string from somewhere, it was probably a bit too short. But I had no idea. I shot the bow for maybe a week or two, then one day I drew the bow back, and the upper limb blew up. I had fiberglass splinters in my arms, in my face, my stomach. It was like I fell on a mound of cactus. I was pretty upset with myself.

I really liked that bow. It got replaced with a Wal-Mart Ben Pearson, yellow fiberglass bow. That was a longer bow, with thicker limbs. The older bow had wider, flatter limbs. I killed a huge gopher with that second bow. Spent most of a day, in a live oak tree trying to shoot that thing. Finally started shooting at the ground, where I knew his tunnel went, when I saw his head pop out of the hole. He was faster than the arrows. I basically put about 1 ft. of lead on him and shot him through the ground. Pinned him in his burrow. It only took about 30 shots to pull that off.

Comment

My first bow was a Ben Pearson Bronco Recurve set. Bought in 1966 from Lamplighter archery shop. It had just opened on R L Thornton down from where Young Chevrolet is now. Got a dozen Wing port orford cedars arrows. Used to ride my bike to hang out at this shop when I got a little older. Remember getting a Bear Kodiak magnum for my 15 birthday.Still have both of these bows and still hunt with the Kodiak.

Comment

My first bow was a Darton SL50 that I bought from a pawn shop!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

First bow was a wing red wing hunter, shot it a few years, sent it to New Mexico and had it converted to a compound as Allen had recently introduced the compound bow. Limbs were cut down and pulleys bolted on, neat to shoot. Last year gave it to Bob Lee archery and its In their museum. To tell how little I k ew about bows, it was a lefty, I’m natural except I’m right eye dominant, later I learned to shoot right hand, been their ever since.

Comment

My first real bow was around 1976. It was a Jennings Sidekick at 45 lbs. I don’t remember it being adjustable at all.

Funny part is that my buddy Jeff had one, and I just had to shoot it. I was totally hooked once I did and I never stopped with the bows. Still on a deerlease with Jeff, but he only gun hunts now. He has a bow, but rarely shoots it.

Comment

Working...
                              X