F250 gassers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
    If you would have never started tuning you wouldn’t know the difference ! I used to do the same but stopped when I got to the 6.7- they just plain do not need it. Of course that’s my humble opinion.
    Power wise they absolutely don’t it at all. However I want the turbo lag tuned out of it lol nothing worse than pressing the skinny pedal wanting to go and the truck just barely moving for 1-2 seconds before hitting boost and lighting the tires up lol that’s the reason I don’t like driving a new stock diesel. The 7.3 is smooth power from the second I press the pedal even though it doesn’t have as much power. It’s still responsive and has plenty though.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      Power wise they absolutely don’t it at all. However I want the turbo lag tuned out of it lol nothing worse than pressing the skinny pedal wanting to go and the truck just barely moving for 1-2 seconds before hitting boost and lighting the tires up lol that’s the reason I don’t like driving a new stock diesel. The 7.3 is smooth power from the second I press the pedal even though it doesn’t have as much power. It’s still responsive and has plenty though.

Comment

2019 F250 6.2 gasser 3.73 for me, it will be 4 years old in a week, 19,700 on the odometer. Getting 10.5+ pulling 36' bumper pull travel trailer about 4/500o miles pulling so far. W/o pulling the rv mostly highway miles 14+ With me driving. The crazy part it's my wifes truck when not pulling and every time I get in it after she has been driving the odometer is usually marking 10.3/10.4. It sure aggravates her when I compare her driving habits compared to mine. Just saying.....cC

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
          With my 2019 being an F250 XLT CCLB 6.2/430, I ordered my second Ford and first F350 Lariat CCLB 7.3/4.30, also on Nov 30. I could have got it slightly cheaper under invoice in Pennsylvania, but I signed for $250 over invoice at a Texas dealer which will be easier dealing with TT&L, etc.

I have lots of miles towing behind diesels, but even my lowly 6.2 exceeded my every expectation with how it handled our 30' TT or anything else I put in it or behind it. Having good heat about 30 seconds after start-up wasn't a bad perk either. Actually, it was seemingly getting better on mileage at 40k as I got over 600 miles on each tank of the last two fill-ups just prior to my needing to sell it. Needless to say (or maybe I do need to say it), I did not miss my diesel, and still don't.

I'm looking forward to the even better performance from the 7.3/4.30, which brings me to my final point...

Any discussion of towing frequently or heavy with a gasser with 3.55 or 3.73 gears is fruitless. Great power plant, but neutered by the gear sets makes no sense, IMHO. And with all due respect, Dale, you wouldn't have lost me or had to wait for me in my 6.2/4.30 rig. That truck pulled my TT as fast as I wanted to go, and most of the time, it did it in OD. On a steep hill, I would manually drop it to 4th just prior to hitting the hill and it never missed a beat or lost speed. And it did NOT beat me up on high RPMs or noise.

OK, one more point...What I have also found is it ain't always about the truck. Some people simply don't know how to drive their trucks or make them tow well. And worrying about fuel mileage in a heavy duty truck is just as fruitless. Life is too short worrying about mileage in an 8k lb truck.

YMMV.
          You were talking about going as fast as you want with the transmission in OD. Just so you know if you are pulling the new tranny probably won my go into 9th or 10th gear unless you are going downhill with the foot on the pedal. The truck has a lot of power but the tranny is very shifty. I went from a 2019 PS and I still don’t have any regrets, but that tranny takes some getting use to. Just have to let it do its job.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
            You were talking about going as fast as you want with the transmission in OD. Just so you know if you are pulling the new tranny probably won my go into 9th or 10th gear unless you are going downhill with the foot on the pedal. The truck has a lot of power but the tranny is very shifty. I went from a 2019 PS and I still don’t have any regrets, but that tranny takes some getting use to. Just have to let it do its job.
            To be sure, I'll have to get used to the 10-speed. What I did learn on my 6-speed is that I could maintain speed on hills better by manually shifting. On a steep hill, I could always maintain speed at one higher gear than the computer would select. IOW, I could keep it in 5th when the computer wanted 4th, or 4th, when the computer wanted 3rd. And all without lugging the engine or losing speed. On flat road, I never needed anything beyond OD to maintain speed.

Comment

And worrying about fuel mileage in a heavy duty truck is just as fruitless. Life is too short worrying about mileage in an 8k lb truck.
              I'm looking forward to an increase.

My 2016 HO Cummins is getting around 14 mpg of $5 diesel.

I see guys claiming the Gawd Ziller is getting 15-16 MPG of $2.70 gas.

Comment

To be sure, I'll have to get used to the 10-speed. What I did learn on my 6-speed is that I could maintain speed on hills better by manually shifting. On a steep hill, I could always maintain speed at one higher gear than the computer would select. IOW, I could keep it in 5th when the computer wanted 4th, or 4th, when the computer wanted 3rd. And all without lugging the engine or losing speed. On flat road, I never needed anything beyond OD to maintain speed.
                In New Mexico this year I had mine shift down as far as 4th going over Bobcats Pass. Pulling a 7500# trailer. Most of the time in the mountains I was in 5th or 6th. Pulling on flat road I pretty much stay in 8th. Won’t go into 9th or 10th at all unless I am rolling down hill or a tail wind, like said earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post

I think those are few and far between.

Comment

I’ve avergared 15.2 to Denver on a turn and burn trip the same day. That’s not typical at all for me though. I’m typically right around 14.

Comment

anyone pull a 12000# fifth wheel with a 6.2L?
                      How was it?
                      I cant find a 7.3 that I like or want to pay for. I can find some 6.2 trucks.

I was even researching changing the rear end to 4.3

Comment

Just order a 2023 F250 this morning. I got a conformation email from Ford this afternoon.
                        Checked the build tracker and my truck was built Saturday 11 March 2023.

Should be in my grubby paws in a couple weeks.

Ford started shipping a week and a half ago and there are a few 2023s on dealer lots.

Put tires on the Ram 2016 3500 this past Thursday, got a new rear bumper delivered Friday and I'll be swapping on a new bed this week. Then I'll detail the truck and get a CarMax quote and see what the dealer offers.

The used car website are saying between 40-45k trade value. I hope they are correct.

Comment

Checked the build tracker and my truck was built Saturday 11 March 2023.

Should be in my grubby paws in a couple weeks.

Ford started shipping a week and a half ago and there are a few 2023s on dealer lots.

Put tires on the Ram 2016 3500 this past Thursday, got a new rear bumper delivered Friday and I'll be swapping on a new bed this week. Then I'll detail the truck and get a CarMax quote and see what the dealer offers.

The used car website are saying between 40-45k trade value. I hope they are correct.
                          Good luck on the sale!

Hope you get your new truck soon. I have an F350 with the 73 & 4:30's. I put a set of tremor tires on it. I get 13.5 -14 driving 65 -70 on the hwy. Get above 70 & I see 12.5 or so. Pulling about 4000 lbs 11 or so . This engine has plenty of power for sure. Been super happy with it!
                          Last edited by DUKFVR; 03-13-2023, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Just drove my 2020 F250 w/6.2 from DFW to Matador and got 14.6 mpg with cruise control pretty much on 72 to 78 most of the way.

Comment

Working...
                            X