No announcement yet.

10th Annual Panhandle Hunting Thread - 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rut is in full swing in Gray county. Had decoy get blown up twice by bucks, one mature one. Couldn’t get a shot as he hit the decoy before I could even realize what he was. Got this one this morning chasing some does. Scored 151

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post

Rut is in full swing in Gray county. Had decoy get blown up twice by bucks, one mature one. Couldn’t get a shot as he hit the decoy before I could even realize what he was. Got this one this morning chasing some does. Scored 151

That's a dandy! congrats.

We've been watching a big 8pt in Gray County for several years. He either slips by or busts his rack up before the hunters can get him. He got another pass to 2023, if he doesn't die of old age first.

Comment

Congrats! Heck of a buck!

My time is drawing to a close this year, and as there were no mature bucks seen or on camera, I ended up taking a cull out of the herd. I saw him as I came back to camp locked down with a doe out over 200 yards. So I pulled my trusty .308 out of its sheath, loaded some homemade pills and let it eat. Tale of the tape...235 yards on the nose. 150gr SST anchored him, DRT. Best shot I've ever attempted or made on an animal.

Best of luck, y'all!

Comment

Congrats to all those that have harvested their bucks this years so far. Nice animals down.

Comment

First time getting a whitetail buck, whitetail doe and a mule deer buck in the same year. Got the muley this past Wednesday in Dawson Co. High was 41, spot and stalk.
            Attached Files

Comment

Congrats again!

Comment

Congrats Sir

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I'm heading out for a weekend with my two boys after school tomorrow to our place in Spur. Our big bucks went missing 3 weeks ago, but just showed back up. Don't plan on shooting a trophy or a management in a down year(we have a 1 buck every 2 years policy), but we are excited to be out on stand.

Comment

The rut must still be kicking in Cottle Co. I had a nice one show up on my cell cam this afternoon and are seeing new bucks seemingly every day on the camera.

Comment

Nice

Comment

What’s the best way to find lease openings in the panhandle. I got a buddy trying to find one for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post
                            What’s the best way to find lease openings in the panhandle. I got a buddy trying to find one for next year.

I have had luck checking feed store bulletin boards.

Comment

1st season Hunting in hall county, either the bucks had a rough go of a nutrient or vitamin, or it has been a vicious rut. Most bucks seen or on camera have busted up racks by this point in the season. Some are sporting partially broken tines, some are broken off beams where they have a spike now… only ones that have racks intact are the younger boys. Anything over 8 points are busted up…this the norm for the area?

Comment

Yes for us most years that by mid December bucks are busted up. Still a few around not busted - but these big deer fight hard.

Shoot them early if you can.

Comment

Working...
                                X