10th Annual Panhandle Hunting Thread - 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dc78 View Post
    Really slow on our place in Motley Co. Have hunted 21 days since season started. Have not seen one fawn. Talked to Dana Wright she said fawn survival rate in area was about 1-10%. Last years bucks lost inches, looks like it going be a culling year. Does will get pass this year.

I’ll be back in Motley Co next weekend. Was there two weekends ago. Deer numbers are way down. Didn’t even see a doe while sitting, just some young bucks. Hoping to catch the end of the rut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fawn rates low for sure.

We have some bucks chasing....big boys not standing around very long in one place.

Comment

Originally posted by Dc78 View Post
        Really slow on our place in Motley Co. Have hunted 21 days since season started. Have not seen one fawn. Talked to Dana Wright she said fawn survival rate in area was about 1-10%. Last years bucks lost inches, looks like it going be a culling year. Does will get pass this year.
        I get my Antlerless Mule Deer permit from Dana each year.

I haven't really noticed any deer drop-offs except for mature bucks. I'm seeing deer every sit, and I've got a couple up-and-comer 8-points that look really nice but just too young. Fawn recruitment seems to be pretty good too. It seems every doe I see has a fawn, sometimes two, and of course I'm also seeing lone fawns now that the chase is on. Total adult deer and fawn numbers seem to be about average.

Maybe we're seeing some results from the "Great Freeze?"

Comment

Shot this one on the 18th, 0930 trailing a doe. Saw a buck mount up and seal the deal on a doe on the 20th. Our rut is mild, seems like does are gradually coming over a two week period rather than a 3-4 day peak.
          Attached Files

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice 8 pt

Comment

His body looks huge ! Congrats on a great buck

Comment

Nice buck!

Comment

nice, congrats

Comment

You get a dressed weight on him? He’s had good groceries this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak blue View Post
                        You get a dressed weight on him? He’s had good groceries this year.
                        No. This one is not as big as the one I shot last year that had a rack weight of 130. (shown here)
                        Rack weight is, hanging carcass. Legs off at the knees, no head, skinned, no guts..........
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Dbap; 11-22-2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Congrats, Dbap!

Comment

Originally posted by Dbap View Post
                            No. This one is not as big as the one I shot last year that had a rack weight of 130. (shown here)
                            Rack weight is, hanging carcass. Legs off at the knees, no head, skinned, no guts..........
                            Congrats, that’s a lot of meat in the freezer.

Comment

10th Annual Panhandle Hunting Thread - 2022-2023

The rut is pretty solid in north cottle county. Saw a monster buck chase a doe this morning but there was no stopping him. A nice mule deer crossed a wheat field and came back with a doe about a hour later. The younger bucks take a couple bites of corn and gone again.

I was hoping to come back for the weekend but the rain is going to make a mess out of the roads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's hard here too. My only problem is I haven't seen a mature buck on-the-hoof this year at all. Them youngsters are wearing those does out. They come in to the feeders looking like a nervous wreck and keeping an eye out for the forked horn dogging her trail.

Comment

Working...
                                X