10th Annual Panhandle Hunting Thread - 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
    Congrats! Man, I cannot wait to get out there!
    Thanks

Heres a little of the story, I couldnt resist hunting the freeze this morning so I got up at 3:15 and was in the blind with the heater going by 4:56. I have to drive straight through the place and walk across the field to get to my spot so its easy to bust everything out. I cut my headlights off at the CR and drive with my sniper hog light. I could see some doe and likely a target buck, thats on camera in that area, chasing them around right at daybreak with my thermal. They stayed in the thick stuff and after 3 times of nearly entering the field the buck ran them off to the south. Had some turkey under the blind and then nothing until a young 10 and the 8 I shot came bouncing across the field. The 10 kept heading straight north about 300 yards away. For whatever reason the 8 turned and ran towards me so I stopped him at around 80 yards and took the shot.

I probably could have dry aged it with this cool weather but Ive been getting some of the meat ready for a wet age.
    Attached Files

Comment

I would like to find a bow hunt in the panhandle.I'm a bow hunter and haven't hunted in several years.Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I really only want a doe for the meat.

Comment

Spent some time in a blind over the weekend. I’m puzzled by the fact that I saw more mature deer on Thursday afternoon when the temps were in the high 70s versus after the front hit. Was really expecting to see some signs of the the rut starting, but saw no evidence of it. I guess I was a little early. Good luck to all who are out and about.

Comment

My experience in this area has been they are not much different than us in that they prefer more comfortable temps and less wind. Friday and Saturday morning were no different with temps in the mid 20s there was little movement. The sun got up a little and animals started moving at about 8:00-8:30. My buddy and I actually joked about it the night before that there was no need to get up until 7 to go out but our dumb asses were the only ones moving before the sun rose.
          What I have seen is anything extremely cold, snow or other extreme is that as soon as you have some good weather they will move, especially on an evening hunt.

Just my experience.

Comment

I think it's still a bit early for peak chase in the panhandle, probably another week to 10 days out... week of Thanksgiving is normally some of the best times to be in the stand.

Flying out in a few hours...woo hoo!

Comment

How about a rut activity report for Hall/Briscoe Countys. Headed up to hunt this Thursday-Sunday sun up to sun down. I'm think things may be heating up right about then.

Anyone hunt that area this past weekend?

Comment

We have a spot outside of groom in Carson county and we sat Saturday morning and didn’t see a thing. The opening weekend we saw one buck chasing a doe on the neighbors property around 8 in the morning but that’s it. It’s literally snowing today, but we’re heading to Missouri Friday for a week.

Thanksgiving week has always been our highest activity, with this cold weather the next week or 2 should be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

New landowner decided now is a good time to run heavy equipment all over the place. Making new roads and a 20 acre lake. Our deer are now gone. Had good numbers on the cameras. Now corn is piling under the feeders. Not much hope for this season.

Comment

Well, finally made the long trek and I'm on my inaugural sit for 2022. Been slow this morning despite the cool temps with only a spike and forked horn seen. Weather looks to be great this week, though.

Anyone seeing better activity, or is it slow for all?

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, finally made the long trek and I'm on my inaugural sit for 2022. Been slow this morning despite the cool temps with only a spike and forked horn seen. Weather looks to be great this week, though.

Anyone seeing better activity, or is it slow for all?

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
                      A lot of deer moving this evening. I used a pre-64 flat band that I inherited to add a little more meat to the freezer.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. Last night and all day today, I was covered up with deer. No shooters, but lots of action to keep it interesting. Be safe, y'all.

Comment

Thanks. Last night and all day today, I was covered up with deer. No shooters, but lots of action to keep it interesting. Be safe, y'all.
                          You seeing Mulies? Any chasing or rutting activity? I’m headed up to Briscoe county next Monday. Looks like a cold front is on deck for Tuesday the 29th

Comment

Originally posted by LtizzleMcTiZ View Post
                            You seeing Mulies? Any chasing or rutting activity? I’m headed up to Briscoe county next Monday. Looks like a cold front is on deck for Tuesday the 29th
                            I've been seeing a couple of does and fawns but no bucks yet, and obviously no muley rutting action.

Been seeing a lot of whitetail rutting but no big boys around yet.

That next cold front is going to be a little too late for me, I think.

Comment

Really slow on our place in Motley Co. Have hunted 21 days since season started. Have not seen one fawn. Talked to Dana Wright she said fawn survival rate in area was about 1-10%. Last years bucks lost inches, looks like it going be a culling year. Does will get pass this year.

Comment

We looked over lots of deer and country. Found MD bucks with doe but not chasing.

Comment

Working...
                                X