Looking for recommendations for RAIN GAUGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for recommendations for RAIN GAUGE

As the title suggests, I am looking for a rain gauge for my husband for Christmas. Anyone have a specific type or brand you can recommend?

Get a wireless weather station. I had one, it quit working recently, that uploaded data to the web and I could check weather at the house from anywhere at any time through https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap. I plan to replace mine soon.

Comment

It depends on your likes. If you want accuracy and nothing electronic, then this is the best rain gauge you can get: https://amzn.to/3g4A9bv - I used to do volunteer rain readings for the local news channel and this gauge was the one the meteorologist told us we had to use.

If you are simi-techy this one is great for $60 - https://amzn.to/3Gli2J1 - It runs on a couple AA batteries and sends the rain totals remotely to a station in your home. I have had mine out for 2 years and have yet to have to replace the batteries. Super easy, you simply put it out side and read your reading real time from the house. No dumping, etc. The nice thing it is also keeps history, like rain fall total per day, month, year, etc. No barometer, altimeter, other stuff that gets too complicated. . . it is strictly a rain gauge, I really like it. Hope this helps.

Comment

Search Rain gauge on Amazon. There are hundreds of unique one on there.

Comment

This one was linked before. It's what we have at the lake and works great.

We have a weather station at the house. It was too expensive but I like it as well since it has a barometer and what not.

Comment

[QUOTE=TreyRo;16509302]https://www.amazon.com/Stratus-Preci...f_=as_li_ss_tl

What we have. Great Christmas gifts...

Comment

If your husband is like most guys... gadgets are cool and muchly desired! I got an older version of this weather station back in '15 when we bought our farm out in the country... It lasted until just this year. I replaced it with the newer version of the same machine... It has the electronic rain gauge that gives all manner of cool stats to include rain rate while it's actually raining, Total per day, week, month and year, plus total per "event" if the current storm/rain happens to be occurring during a day/week/month rollover... It has a barometer, gives temp inside, outside, and has additional temp monitoring channels you can for instance, put a probe in your freezer that will give you an alert if it should stop cooling... It's kind of pricey, but even my wife has grown to like it... It's the first thing we look at in the morning when we get up and go into the kitchen/dining room... I an almost guarantee you a genuine hit with your hubby!!

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weath...s%2C117&sr=8-5

And as Casey posted above, if you have wi-fi, you can configure it as a data point on Weather underground so you can check it from anywhere. I wish we had wi-fi at our deer lease, but ain't happening since we are exactly DEAD-Center in the middle of NOWHERE!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                If your husband is like most guys... gadgets are cool and muchly desired! I got an older version of this weather station back in '15 when we bought our farm out in the country... It lasted until just this year. I replaced it with the newer version of the same machine... It has the electronic rain gauge that gives all manner of cool stats to include rain rate while it's actually raining, Total per day, week, month and year, plus total per "event" if the current storm/rain happens to be occurring during a day/week/month rollover... It has a barometer, gives temp inside, outside, and has additional temp monitoring channels you can for instance, put a probe in your freezer that will give you an alert if it should stop cooling... It's kind of pricey, but even my wife has grown to like it... It's the first thing we look at in the morning when we get up and go into the kitchen/dining room... I an almost guarantee you a genuine hit with your hubby!!

And as Casey posted above, if you have wi-fi, you can configure it as a data point on Weather underground so you can check it from anywhere. I wish we had wi-fi at our deer lease, but ain't happening since we are exactly DEAD-Center in the middle of NOWHERE!!

Wow! This sounds exactly like something my husband would like!

Like you, we don’t have WiFi at our ranch but you gotta start somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weath...s%2C117&sr=8-5

This is the one I have at my house and I have it set up as a weather station on Weather Underground. I also have it set up to text me alerts when certain events happen, such as we get over .25 inches of rain, then I get a text. I like to know that stuff when I'm out of town, gives me an idea of how big the storm is when I'm not there. I also have it set up to my sprinkler system so it knows how much rain has fallen and how long to skip watering my lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                    Get a wireless weather station. I had one, it quit working recently, that uploaded data to the web and I could check weather at the house from anywhere at any time through https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap. I plan to replace mine soon.

Did it quit working because it was cr*p or because it had been run hot year after year? Somewhere in between?

Comment

We have this exact model (Ambient WS-2000) and have had it installed since last year without any issues. It's been working great and the rain gauge sensor is very accurate.

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. I ended up ordering all three.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                          Did it quit working because it was cr*p or because it had been run hot year after year? Somewhere in between?
                          It was likely 5 years old and it just quit picking up from the unit. I'm not sure what the reason. On top of that, I changed my home network setup some time back and it quit communicating with my wifi. I'm going to replace just haven't started shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                            This is the one I have at my house and I have it set up as a weather station on Weather Underground. I also have it set up to text me alerts when certain events happen, such as we get over .25 inches of rain, then I get a text. I like to know that stuff when I'm out of town, gives me an idea of how big the storm is when I'm not there. I also have it set up to my sprinkler system so it knows how much rain has fallen and how long to skip watering my lawn.
                            Originally posted by Casey View Post
                            It was likely 5 years old and it just quit picking up from the unit. I'm not sure what the reason. On top of that, I changed my home network setup some time back and it quit communicating with my wifi. I'm going to replace just haven't started shopping.

Casey, I'd highly recommend this one... Like rlander said, you can have it text you based on certain events... It comes with the outdoor temp sensor and one indoor sensor, but you can add up to 4 more temp sensors... I have one in each fridge and each stand alone freezer for a total of 4. If temp rises above 32 degrees in any freezer compartment, it gives me an alarm... It's pretty slick.
                            My problem is that at our farm, we do not have wi-fi so If no one is home, we'd not get the alarms remotely. However it does communicate with my hot spot wi-fi so if either my wife or I are home, we'd get the alert.

In the menu, you can scroll through the different temp. channels and see what the temp is for any of them... I "think" you can set an upper AND lower limit on the alerts, but not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
                              https://www.amazon.com/Stratus-Preci...f_=as_li_ss_tl

We have a weather station at the house. It was too expensive but I like it as well since it has a barometer and what not.
                              Will this bust in a freeze if you don't dump the water out of it? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X