Where would you go? DIY public whitetails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Speedgoat
    Start here first!! There are some great deer on this place.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=853718
    HAhahah

Comment

There’s some good archery only WMAs in OK. I was planning on doing a week up there around the same time period but ended up finding a lease recently so cancelled those plans. I was gonna do James Collins or Beaver River.

But I’ve never looked too closely at MO which sounds like a great state for public hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I go to Ohio every year for the rut and absolutly love it. You can have a couple targets on camera, but there will always be a couple giants that show up that week.

There is also some really good public areas close to where we hunt, as well as all over the state.

Comment

I'd start with Nebraska or Eastern Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
            I'd start with Nebraska or Eastern Colorado.
            Pennsylvania has 616,896 acres of public access.

Now that Pennsylvania implemented antler restrictions for several years and no longer named "Orange army" it has potential.

You can still buy over the counter licence.

This was taken 1st day of Pennsylvania Archery season by a family friend.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Comment

Eagle River, Ontario Canada.... 86% of Canada is "Crown" land. Tons of deer and LOW hunting pressure. Hunt in WMU Unit 8 and a guide is not required.

Blue background buck is the Dryden buck... Typical 199"...Dead head I'm holding was run over by a local and he let me take my picture with him.

OTC tag is $280. You literally have millions of acres of "public" land you can hunt. Ontario also has an interactive website that has printable maps of all their Crown Land.
              Attached Files

Comment

Missouri

Comment

South Dakota

Comment

There is a big piece (4200 acres) of public ground in Missouri 8 miles south of our house in Iowa. It buts up close to the Iowa/Missouri state line. The deer don't know where the state line is located. Just saying....

Like stated above..make sure you schedule your hunt before the Missouri rifle season which is on or about November 15th.

Comment

There is a ton of really good public land everywhere but Texas.

Comment

i've always wanted to go hunt Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                          There’s some good archery only WMAs in OK. I was planning on doing a week up there around the same time period but ended up finding a lease recently so cancelled those plans. I was gonna do James Collins or Beaver River.

But I’ve never looked too closely at MO which sounds like a great state for public hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          me and a buddy will be making a week long trip to james collins on 11/14, excited to see whats out there

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                            Like stated above..make sure you schedule your hunt before the Missouri rifle season which is on or about November 15th.
                            For my own educational purposes, why is that? Number of hunters/hunting pressure?

Comment

Oklahoma, Black Kettle

Comment

Originally posted by Nate Riley View Post
                                For my own educational purposes, why is that? Number of hunters/hunting pressure?
                                Yes. Public land is hit very hard for the duration of their compressed gun season. It only lasts for a couple of weeks, and Missouri allows high powered rifles unlike other states such as Iowa that is just now allowing straight walled calibers along with shotgun/ML.

Oh and dont forget about TN, KY OH. All of those have lots of public land and OTC license

Comment

Working...
                                X