Texas state troopers must shrink waistlines in new controversial policy: report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sailor View Post
    It's always a good idea to try and stay in shape...
    But, if a TDPS,(or any other cop) successfully pulls me from a burning car..
    I don't care what their waist size is..
    But, I do understand their point..
    If they're too fat and out of shape and can't get in and pull me to safety, then I will wish they were in better shape. I don't see any potential downside to them being fit. I do see some potential downside for them being fat and out of shape. Just reality. I don't care who they are or what they look like as long as they can do what they need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
      Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. Make them do multiple physical agility tests every year. Who cares about a waist line size. If you can work you can work.

I think changes need made to address physical fitness of all first responders and I think annual physical agility and endurance test makes much more sense that a cookie cutter waste size.

Comment

There is a trooper that comes in my local coffee shop that I bet couldn't get below a 40" waist. He's probably 6'7 or bigger. The guy is a mountain.

Comment

fat excuses lol

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            Probably better to focus on athletic agility and performance than arbitrary belt size, but I can't imagine anyone in LE letting themselves get that out of shape as it seems like a dangerous gamble when you never know you'll be fighting for your life (or someone else's) at any given time.
            I can show you enough to fill a bus

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good for DPS. Hopefully they actually enforce

Comment

For everyone saying 40” is still pretty hefty…back off man! Not everyone in a 40” pant is Rod Farva. I’m 6’5” and 280# and wear a 40” pant. Now I’m gonna go have some ice cream to soothe my fragile ego haha

Comment

I’d wager most, if not all of the folks that replied with disparaging remarks would get there arse whooped by those “pudgy” troopers! Those guys are freaking tough don’t matter there waist size. They can hold there own better than you think.

Comment

This is terrible. I like the women who can fill out a 40 inch waiste line. Our state is rapidly declining

Comment

I think the county I live in hires by the pound. Big men and women.

Comment

Have PT that is doable but strict. Pass that every year and they should be good to go no matter the belt size.

Comment

Fat lives matter.

Comment

Built Texas tough since 1938 !

Comment

Time to sell my shipleys stock

Comment

I think it is a good step in the right direction. If you are in any position like that you need to be in shape. I have always cringed when I see an officer waddling around. If you want to be an Easter Egg be one, but if you signed on to a dangerous job, in order to protect people, you need to be in good enough shape to do the job.

I will say the waist thing is interesting and stupid. But it is the government, they should have used Body fat % or even BMI combination, or like the army allow you to body fat test if BMI is too high from muscle.

IE- By BMI standard I right now would pop morbidly obese, I am below 12% body fat. And years ago in college when I was playing football I was still very lean but pushing a 38-40" waist at 320#. Not too hard for a big ol' boy 6'3 or taller to be 40" waist and in shape and lean..

But- hey I like the step, I also think coaches and health professionals should be required to be healthy, and teachers should ALL be drug tested. But hey gotta take a W when we can.

Comment

Working...
                                X