No announcement yet.

colorado and altitude sickness ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take it slow and drink a lot. (Of water)

Comment

We were in Breckenridge this summer and it hit me pretty hard the first day. Terrible head ache and just drained. Felt much better the next day although I never adjusted to the thin air and was short of breath the whole time (6 days), but I'm waaaaaay out of shape. Just take your time and know your limits. We did some hiking above the tree line and that was tough for me but I kept plodding along and enjoyed the views.

Comment

Originally posted by WRasco View Post
        Take it slow and drink a lot. (Of water)
        This, and when you first arrive stay for 12 hours (sleeping) at around 8k to allow your body to adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
          This, and when you first arrive stay for 12 hours (sleeping) at around 8k to allow your body to adjust.
          This

Comment

Been to CO 6 times. 5 out of 6 with no issues. Stayed outside of Fairplay in 2017 at 11,800ft and got sick. It sucked.

Diamox is supposed to work well but I haven't ever taken it.

For a more natural route you can take chlorophyll capsules. Its supposed to positively effect hemoglobin levels or something like that which helps with O2 transportation in the body at higher elevations. I haven't taken it either but those are the 2 preventatives that I have been told/read about.

Comment

Start drinking 1-1 1/2gallons of water every day 2 weeks prior to leaving.

Comment

i had an episode on the mountain in 2018 at roughly 11,500. NOT fun. wont get into that..
                But, I now for every elk hunt get a IV before i leave knowing im hydrated going up. Stay hydrated all week! Take a baby asprin a day for 1-2 weeks going into your trip and stay on it every day during your trip. I havent had an issue since..

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  Get there a day early and chill out. Limit your alcohol and stay super hydrated. Tell your wife to quit being a worry wart!
                  Water and lots of it
                  Everyone got sick on my last elk hunt and sheep hunting
                  Water and lots of tums chewable mint flavor worked for me
                  I did gradual climitation in 2 day increasing altitude

Comment

Drink tons of water and stay hydrated. Thats the biggest key. Lived there for 3 years was acclimated to it and still was hard. Hydration is key.

Comment

Water. Baby aspirin now. But a few cans of oxygen at Academy in the team sports area

Comment

All the years I been going I learned to take two aspirin at about 7500-8000 ft then go on to where we hunt. If I don’t I have a terrible headache the entire time. I know of a hunter who died of pulmonary embolism and he never went higher that 9500 feet. It’s different for everyone. If you are short of breath even at rest descend as quick as you can.

Comment

There's no fix for altitude sickness other than moving to lower elevations once you have it. Don't ignore and think you or you wife can fight through the symptoms. Most meds and other gimmicks don't work if you get AMS. ​Please don't buy air in a can .

Take Acetazolamide (Diamox) 24 hr before getting to elevation.

Physical fitness doesn't not determine if you will get altitude sickness or not. Just FYI. Anyone can get AMS.

Also altitude doesn't cause dehydration. A symptom of altitude sickness is the urge to urinate more frequently (causing dehydration).
                          Staying adequately hydrated is helpful, but drinking to much water can flush your sodium and give the same symptoms of altitude sickness.

Spend the first day or so at moderate elevation, don't just go straight to the top. That being said there's not much real danger unless you're going over 8500'.

Here's a good article
                          There's no fix for altitude sickness other than moving to lower elevations once you have it. Don't ignore and think you or you wife can fight through the symptoms. Most meds and other gimmicks don't work if you get AMS. ​Please don't buy air in a can .

Take Acetazolamide (Diamox) 24 hr before getting to elevation.

Physical fitness doesn't not determine if you will get altitude sickness or not. Just FYI. Anyone can get AMS no matter how many trips

llsoo altitude doesn't cause dehydration. A symptom of altitude sickness is the urge to urinate more frequently (causing dehydration).
                          Staying adequately hydrated is helpful, but drinking to much water can flush your sodium and give the same symptom of altitude sickness. .

Spend the first day or so at moderate elevation, don't just go straight to the top. That being said there's not much real danger unless you're going over 8500'.

Comment

Don't laugh at your friends who arrived a day earlier when they are feeling sick. Don't drink half a handle of Jack as you laugh at them that day. :-). Been there--done that.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              Water. Baby aspirin now. But a few cans of oxygen at Academy in the team sports area
                              This right here and also when you get there they have IV bars. Just go in and they hook you up on IV and swipe your card and you will be set. Do it several times if need be throughout the trip. Best money you will spend. I just couldn’t keep up with drinking enough water because I sweat enough for three people doesn’t matter how cold or hot it is.

Comment

Drink beyond thirst. Get you a few bags/bottles of tums and eat 'em like candy. Take extra potassium, magnesium, and salt (last three to keep you electrolyte from depleting by too much water). Real asprin is the best for a head ache when it comes on. I learned to drink a 3 liter camelback bladder on the morning hunt, and refill/drink it again on the evening hunt, but got to keep the electrolyte up too... Pedialite is actually better than water... water mornings and pedialite in the afternoons/ evenings works wonders...

Comment

Working...
                                X