PSA = Any of yall allergic to deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA = Any of yall allergic to deer?

My daughter is a junior in high school. She's been hunting with me since she was a little girl. She's killed many pigs, and deer. Last night she shot a doe, and she helped me drag it to the roasd, and load it in the truck. I gutted it, she didn't have to do that part. She also helped me hang it when we got to the processors place. As we were driving home she said she gets itchy and feels funny after shooting a deer. I jokingly said, maybe your allergic to gun powder. Thinking she meant after the shot she feels this way. She then says, No dad, it's after I touch them. She said I helped drag and hang that deer tonight and now I'm all itchy and tingly. By the time we got home, about 30 mins, her right eye was all swollen and puffy, and she was scratching all around her neck and hands. I guess she rubbed her eyes and her hands spread it there. She started looking it up as we were driving and found out it's really a thing. She found this article and and it all makes sense. She laughed and said, Well I guess you'll have to clean all my deer for me. Lol. I never knew this was a thing. A good shower and a Benadryl pill and she was fine. For those that have experienced it and didn't know, now ya do. I guess it could be worse, I read some articles today about it clogging air passages, etc.
    Check out this link

Wearing gloves when gutting a deer may not be the manliest move a hunter can make, but can gutting a deer without gloves make you sick?

GOHUNT empowers hunters with the tools, technology, gear, and resources they need to get the most out of their time in the field.

Comment

Crazy, never even considered that
      Appreciate the links Todd

Comment

Happens to my nephew, as well.

Comment

My daughter can't even be around when I'm skinning a dear. She will murder them but stays up wind after that. She is allergic to cats too.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
            She laughed and said, Well I guess you'll have to clean all my deer for me. Lol.[/url]
            Lucky girl!
            JK - Sounds terrible. I wonder if it's something that can be outgrown?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

One of our lease members is allergic to deer dander... He still skins his own deer or his son will if he's in camp. If he does it himself, he will hose/wash them down and the affect is not as bad.....he'll chase it with a Benadryl soon after

Comment

allergies

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                Lucky girl!
                JK - Sounds terrible. I wonder if it's something that can be outgrown?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                the one article mentions that and said it can with some people

Comment

Man that stinks and I never thought about people being alergic to deer. I guess it isnt any different than any other animal dander and people are alergic to all differnt kinds of animals.

Comment

My dad was allergic to deer hair. He had the same symptoms when he touched one. He could process and eat it, but the hair made him break out.

Comment

My son is allergic to deer hair or something in the hair.
                      Keeps allergy pills in his hunting pack and pops a couple before he starts skinning.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Randy newberg is allergic. Said he takes a pill while hunting and Additional meds when handling a downed animal.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think they are allergic to me and stay away. LOL

Comment

I believe I am, every time I kill one and touch one at the slightest, I have the tendency to touch my face. Then I can't quit itching my eyes. Nothing to serious but for sure annoying!

Comment

I’ve got terrible allergies to animal dander. Livestock and cats are the worst. I reckon deer fall in the livestock category for me as well. Can’t stand pulling the hair off. I’m fine once that’s done.

Comment

Working...
                              X