Capybara

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capybara

Anyone have a capybara as a pet? I saw some today and got me to googling, seem like some interesting critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never even heard of such a thing till now. Looks like a big Nutria Rat.

Comment

I know a guy that had one full body mounted. I believe they are the world’s largest rodent. Won’t be getting one for a pet at my house!

Comment

Would it eat dog poo?

Comment

Bryan Keeling has the state bowhunting record for capybara. He fed us chili made from it one time. It tasted about like you'd expect.

Comment

My daughter has some. I don't know whether she breeds them or if they are just part of her zoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Bryan Keeling has the state bowhunting record for capybara. He fed us chili made from it one time. It tasted about like you'd expect.

I was at the ranch the week he killed one in the pond by his house .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                I was at the ranch the week he killed one in the pond by his house .
                Cool!

We were there on a youth hunt. Bryan cooked chili one night. He didn't tell us what it was. It was the worst chili I'd ever had. Not wanting to hurt his feelings, I snuck mine into the trash can when nobody was looking. About 2 bites was all I could take. I had peach cobbler for supper that night. After everybody finished eating, he told us the chili was capybara. Not an animal I ever want to eat again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                  Would it eat dog poo?
                  Lmao….I did read they will eat there own first of the morning poop! Probably eat dog poop too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lights Out View Post
                    Lmao….I did read they will eat there own first of the morning poop! Probably eat dog poop too.
                    That explains Bryan's chili.

Comment

I feel like I would avoid that chili.

Comment

There was a TBH member that shot one with his bow several years back not sure if it's the same fella mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                          There was a TBH member that shot one with his bow several years back not sure if it's the same fella mentioned above.
                          I believe he shot several. Mountain of a man. God rest his soul. 🙁

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                            Never even heard of such a thing till now. Looks like a big Nutria Rat.
                            X2, first time I have seen a pasture full of this critter.

Comment

I've only seen them on t.v. before. What doesn't live in Texas? I thought they only lived amongst the anacondas and whatever else lives in South America......jaguars,caiman.....South Americans.....

Comment

Working...
                              X