Looking for East Texas Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for East Texas Bears

Found this article interesting. It always intrigued me as a yoot how they had a black bear season in the Outdoor Annual where I hunted in Cass County. I think it'd be awesome to see bears back in the woods of East Texas.

On the Lookout for a Texan of the Past

It would be nice to know there out there. I hunt in Nac. a couple times a year on my father-n-laws place and I would love to see one walk by one day

Comment

Yeah thats fascinating. I think they could move into some of the NE counites from SE Oklahoma as well. I've always wanted just to see a track, to see an actual bear would be great...I think. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

When I was in college I did some research on bears in Polk County, the old timers talkin got me curious. Sure enough there used to be a VERY healthy black bear population in polk county, I found old hunting photos with multiple bears hanging on the ol' meat pole and some true hillbillys gathered round. I wish I could been right there with em'. The population in the Big Thicket area held out the longest. I beleive (I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong) the last bear in East Texas was killed at a garbage dump in Polk County in 1969.

I couldn't link to your article, so it may adress this, but I have heard that Western Louisiana is seeing a comeback and that we are getting a few bachelors spilling into our area.

Comment

It would be neat until one of them over sized coons found your feeder.

Comment

There has been talk of restocking. The TPWD held some area meetings on this subject not too long. I too would like to see them back in these woods. There have been several confirmed sightings in the past few years in Jasper co.

While I was picking up a hunting permit at the Big Thicket headquarters, I was told to expect sightings in the near future. The habitat could sustain them, the issue would be those people here that have no respect for wildlife or the laws that protect them.

Comment

I got the link to work, that is pretty neat, I hope they find something. Surely they are using trail cameras, I didn't see any mention of it. I bet six cans of sardines hanging from the trees would bring all kinds of varmints out to investigate. I may try it myself.

Comment

About six years ago a fells that I hunt with snapped a pic of a bear running down a farm to market northeast of Paris. I didn't believe him untill he pulled the puc out and showed me.

Comment

Last hunting season I swear I saw some bear scat in Sam Houston National forest. I know what bear sign looks like very well coming from Oregon and Alaska.

Saw the scat and tracked it to a stump that had been ripped apart. Maybe I'm crazy though.

Comment

Getting them back in East TX would be great....but I am afraid the "no closed season" types would not do them any favors.

Comment

When I was kid we were at our camphouse on Toledo Bend and saw a sow with 2 cubs. I think I was 9 or 10 at the time. We were driving back from Fin and Feather heading to the camp house when they crossed the road. This would of been in the late 70's. It woulc be awesome to see them make a comeback......

Comment

what next......lions o my...not sure whati think about the bear but it may be cool to say you saw one.

Comment

I hope they stock them and knuckleheads will leave them alone. If Louisiana can do it so can we.

Comment

There have been a few showing up on game cams around corn feeders in far north east Red River County the last couple of years.

Comment

Why do you want bears in Texas?
                              I hope all of the people saying they want to see bears in Texas remember that when they are tearing up your feeders, stands, camps, ect... and its illegal to shoot them because they are protected.

what is a bear good for, if you cant hunt them? They will be able to tear stuff up, kill other animals and probably a person or two...and we cant hunt them?

What is the UP side of having bears in the woods?

Comment

Working...
                              X