Coon proofing an eliminator spin plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coon proofing an eliminator spin plate

I made these feeders too short to put a big enough cage on them that will keep coons away but also allow deer and pigs to eat corn directly under it. I thought the eliminator spin plate would solve my coon problem. The rectangular one did briefly. Then something happened that caused the shaft to corrode heavily. Battery was dead and corn right on top of plate was black and stuck together. I think somehow it got damp and just sat there with a dead battery and formed some kind of acidic slurry that corroded the shaft. I had to damage the spinner just to get it freed up. Bought one of the new round ones that are far inferior in my opinion. No matter how I set it, if I fiddle with it just a little I can get it to come down. The coons experienced the same and basically had a buffet until I could remedy the situation. I fabricated a steel ring that does not allow them to get their grubby little fingers on top of the spin plate. Your move coons.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Good job.
    I’m Having the same issue but with squirrels.

Thanks for an idea…

Comment

Great idea but the corn thieven bandits are still eatin what's on ground. Probably won't ever get rid of em a but some Duke dog proof coon traps and a 22 will thin out the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
        Great idea but the corn thieven bandits are still eatin what's on ground. Probably won't ever get rid of em a but some Duke dog proof coon traps and a 22 will thin out the herd.
        I agree. Notice picture with 3 dead coons handcuffed to the ground. I bought 5 dukes. Gonna wittle down their entire family tree. Gravy train is over.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's a crowd I am dealing with. They will pay.

Comment

You can get as much as $15 each for a skinned racoon and just as much for a rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckhead78 View Post
              You can get as much as $15 each for a skinned racoon and just as much for a rabbit.
              Where?

Guys up north saying buyers do not even want coons $2-4 ea for PRIME large ones
              Would not waste my time skinning one AND putting it up (fleshing and drying) unless you just have nothing better to do

Never heard of anyone selling rabbit fur so can't comment on the price of rabbit pelts

About to break out the DPs on the coons here at the house and feed the buzzards

Comment

Originally posted by Duckhead78 View Post
                Great idea on the spinner plate guard addition!!

I am gonna be rich if I can sell a coon hide for $15.00!! Please tell me where??
                How about sell you them for $10 each and you can make some $$ also?!

Comment

Yeah, heck I will take 5 or 10 bucks for one not skinned- tell me where to drop them off

Comment

I seem to remember reading back lots of years ago that the chain links on these tend to get gummy and stick or corn gets stuck in the links, either leaving the spinner plate open or keeping the plate shut. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

Working...
                    X