Traditional Lefty Starter Set Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve looked into getting started shooting a traditional set up that doesn’t break the bank. Don’t even know where to start. Id like to find something used.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please heavily consider a low 30# to mid 45# range poundage 62”+ long bow for the initial training learning curve. The longer the bow the better (more forgiving to form flaws) IMO. Ive heard alot of people complain and quit trad because they couldnt wrangle a recurve as their first trad bow.

Also please shoot sparingly…the muscles and tendons are way more stressed than with a wheel bow.

I look forward to the LDPs.
    Good luck MrMDB.

Comment

If you can't find a used setup, get an inexpensive Black Hunter or Samik/Galaxy Sage to start off with.

Comment

Appreciate all the help. Gonna check out a new archery shop in the area and see what they offer. And go from there. But keep the info coming from any past experience.
        Thanks

Comment

I have a couple lefty’s 254-718-5326

Comment

Originally posted by mdb View Post
            Appreciate all the help. Gonna check out a new archery shop in the area and see what they offer. And go from there. But keep the info coming from any past experience.
            Thanks

Don’t expect to find much at an archery shop. Most shops are 99.9% compound oriented and carry very little trad gear. I just don’t want you thinking whatever a local ship might carry is the extent of what there is out there to choose from.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              Don’t expect to find much at an archery shop. Most shops are 99.9% compound oriented and carry very little trad gear. I just don’t want you thinking whatever a local ship might carry is the extent of what there is out there to choose from.

Bisch

Thanks for the heads up.
              So if I get something from other than a bow shop, how hard is it to set up?

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.
                So if I get something from other than a bow shop, how hard is it to set up?

None of them are very hard to set up………if a guy knows what he’s doing. It looks monumental if he dosen’t. Best advice I can give you is to find an experienced trad shooter in your area that you learn and mentor from. It’ll make the learning curve a lot more bearable.

Bisch

Comment

I've got a lefty martin recurve that's 45# @ 28. $150. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by warrenm0624 View Post
                    I've got a lefty martin recurve that's 45# @ 28. $150. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

I’ve looked at some sites. And am a little confused on draw length vs poundage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      None of them are very hard to set up………if a guy knows what he’s doing. It looks monumental if he dosen’t. Best advice I can give you is to find an experienced trad shooter in your area that you learn and mentor from. It’ll make the learning curve a lot more bearable.

Bisch

Thanks.
                      There was a Traditional shooter close to me who lived in Shiner. Think his last name was Massey. He had a shop there at one time. Not sure if he’s still around.

Comment

I’ve looked at some sites. And am a little confused on draw length vs poundage.

Since draw lengths vary from archer to archer bowyers measure draw weight at 28" (which is about average), as a standard. Your actual draw weight will vary by 2-3 pounds for each inch difference either way from that 28". So if a bow is 45#@28" and your natural draw is 29" you will be pulling around 48#. If your draw turns out to be 27" you will be pulling around 42#

Comment

To tag on to Jerps response… to use myself as an example…
                          I have a 31-32” draw length. Whereas I short draw. My daily shooting bow which is my hunting bow which is a 60” longbow 58#@28”. I very rarely pull past 27-28”. At 27”…my normal draw on my bow….Im drawing 54#. I shoot a shorter bow and short draw for brush and blind hunting purposes.

Some shooters with a 31” or greater draw shoot longer bows that are meant to draw back to 31” or more. I wont ever get that draw length out of my 60” longbow…it just wont happen….not just because Im a big weeny…the bow wont bend that much. The longer the bow the more likely it will bend to longer draw lengths. The smaller the bow…the sharper the string angle at the nock point and the string coming off the limb tips and greater likelihood of finger pinch along with a shorter back wall among other things.

Because my bow is so short, I cant shoot my longbow split finger without pinch…so I shoot 3 under. Not to be hypocritical but still to affirm for learning…go long to keep more options for form.

Comment

Thanks.
                            There was a Traditional shooter close to me who lived in Shiner. Think his last name was Massey. He had a shop there at one time. Not sure if he’s still around.

I’m not sure if Jeff is still shooting or not? There’s folks around you. You just have to find them. The easiest way to do that would be to go to 3D shoots in your area. There should be some trad shooters at every shoot. You may even be able to ask at your local shop who the local trad guys are and they may be able to point you to someone. It’s just nice to have someone to ask questions to that can answer and show you things in person.

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                            X