Maybe building a drill pipe fence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crumrw View Post
    Saddling pipe is easy with a chop saw. It depends on the thickness of the pipe you use but 2 roughly 30 degree cuts will give you a near perfect saddle. As far as drill stem, I'd only use it if it's new. Pipe that's been in the ground will be a bit magnetized and can be a super pain in the arse to weld. Your bead will jump around like popcorn.
    I have seen welders wrap one of the welding leads around pipe that is magnetized to offset the arc blow. Never had a big issue with it myself but don’t weld for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
      I have seen welders wrap one of the welding leads around pipe that is magnetized to offset the arc blow. Never had a big issue with it myself but don’t weld for a living.
      Hmmm, interesting. Never heard of that.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
        Yep. And if it makes it worse wrap it the other way. Once you get it started it balances out and and too bad. I’ve got some pipe that’s so magnetic you can’t get an arc 5”from where you want it. It’s like playing pinball. Lol

Comment

save yourself some time and buy these

We are a Rural Texas based business that believes in efficiency and simplicity, We innovate pipe saddles, pipe sleeves, and connectors to help you save time

cutting those saddle jts with a torch is too much hassle for me and if you are off on measurements this will slide and hide the gap
          Last edited by kingranch; 04-18-2019, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            Yep. And if it makes it worse wrap it the other way. Once you get it started it balances out and and too bad. I’ve got some pipe that’s so magnetic you can’t get an arc 5”from where you want it. It’s like playing pinball. Lol
            Have you tried reversing your leads? I had some so bad that we reversed the leads in order to weld it.

Comment

I used to work for a rental company and we had a ton of 2 3/8" tubing sitting around. When it was no longer feasible to recut the threads, I got to bring some home to build a fence. It was extremely magnetized. We wrapped the lead several times which helped but did not completely fix the issue. The rods consistently stuck no matter how i ran the machine or swapped rods.

I have a pretty nice fence, but the work it took to build 300 feet took two weeks for me to do it. I'm no professional welder by any means, but i can make a weld hold. ( I used several grinding disks to clean it up )

Comment

When the pipe is in place just heat with a torch until red to orange heat and then tack it. Heated up, the pipe loses it's magnetism and a couple tacks lets it equalize out. If it's not too bad just start your arc 90 degrees around and it will probably weld just fine.

Comment

The best fence when using pipe is to put your posts at 10'. After cutting the bells odd the ends, the splices will fall right over the posts. Changes in grade will happen there and look much nicer. Also if using welded wire panels that are 20' long, the panels will splice right on the posts as well. Makes it look much nicer.

Comment

Man just came across this thread and wishing o could buy drill stem for these prices now

Comment

Yeah. Ima third of the way through my pipe fence build and it ain’t cheap at all

Comment

Need and a time crunch prompted me to put up a 4 rail fence using 4x6 posts, 1x6 corral boards, and 2x6 top plate. Almost all of it was a one man job.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks Awsome

Comment

Working...
                          X