Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sand hill crane hunt January 2,3- can't wait !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    We shot a few Sunday morning. Saw TONS of them, but they kept flaring just before getting into range. Those flat silhouette decoys look great from a distance, but as soon as the birds get overhead all they see are skinny cardboard cutouts. If 3D decoys weren't so expensive, it'd be a lot better.

Divebomb makes some windsock crane decoys priced right look way better than the silhouettes

Comment

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
      Divebomb makes some windsock crane decoys priced right look way better than the silhouettes
      We had a few of those in the spread. Needed a lot more.
      Last edited by Shane; 12-15-2021, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
        We use Silosock’s and they tend to work well except for in howling winds. I will have to look into the one you mentioned.

Comment

The flavor beats duck or goose but is nowhere near a ribeye or even a shoulder chuck.
          We have quite a few around our place and get a crack at them now and then. They are big birds.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
            Just go and have fun.

And, don’t walk up on a wounded crane without a shotgun in hand.
            When we hunted cranes in Canada, our guide, Twitch, ran out there to get the birds. One stood up and faced off with him. He round house kicked that crane in the neck just like Chuck Norris would a Vietnamese Commie. It was a great laugh. Killed it dead.

Comment

We shot a bunch Thanksgiving weekend. Great lean meat....rare to medium rare is best. Tastes like sirloin to me.

Our guide carried a 9 iron with him to take care of cripples. He does not take his dog with him on crane hunts.

Comment

Hardest bird I’ve ever tried to take down. Like said above, they are tough. We’ve shot them with 3” buckshot and had them fly 500 yards before dropping. And we hit them at 30. If it’s windy they can get some distance quick with those giant wing spans. These would get attributed and then lock their wings out and glide until they fell. Was the craziest thing I’ve ever seen bird hunting. As far as fun, it’s a blast. It really is under rated in my opinion. I’ve done it once and can’t wait to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

1. Get out of the way when you knock one down. 2. They are nothing like a ribeye. 3. Like an old Cajun done told me one day “you gotta cook da goose til da goose give up”.

Comment

When you're in the blind, be still. Keep your head down and dont even look up until the guide says to.

Their eyes are as good as any raptor or turkey. You get caught trying to move around the blind to get a better look, they're going to bust and flare off.

Easy bird to shoot, when they do it right. Literally feet from the blind, slow to react, slow to lift off. We shot them with federal sea duck loads (3" 4-6 duplex) and it was money.

Dont expect a texas roadhouse ribeye when you cook one. They're absolutely good, but not a ribeye by any means.

Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                      We shot a bunch Thanksgiving weekend. Great lean meat....rare to medium rare is best. Tastes like sirloin to me.

Our guide carried a 9 iron with him to take care of cripples. He does not take his dog with him on crane hunts.
                      Our guide used a softball bat. He buys a new one every year.. haha.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                        You will hear rib-eye of the sky. I call them sirloin of the sky.

If comparing to a ribeye, they suck. But what does compare to a good ribeye?

If comparing them to all other ducks, geese, etc., they are awesome! Like all wild game, cook them rare to med rare. I like them. Will even keep the thighs and legs to make crane and dumpling’s.

People mistake shooting at them like you would other birds. Don’t. Picture their heads as dove and put 100% focus on killing that dove.

I hunt them with a 28ga most of the time and sometimes a .410. Usually shoot #4 or #6 lead.
                        all of this

Ive killed them with turkey loads pass shooting but killed them with steel 4s over decoys

heres one getting crushed with 2 3/4 steel 4s over decoys

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApyPoqh_wDk"]Cranes - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          I have, they're not.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                          Crane breasts cooked rare to medium rare is great table fare.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            And they don't taste like ribeye. They're not full of juicy marbling and fat. They're lean like venison. They're venison in the sky. Tastes more like deer than anything else. Similar to axis, but slightly stronger flavor. Very good. Cut the breast into strips and cook it seasoned and sauteed in butter in a cast iron skillet until medium rare. It's GREAT. Chicken fried is too.

The thighs are good, but really tough. Breast is tender. Drumsticks are filled with hard tendons. Just keep the breasts.
                            We cook the legs in crockpot until all of the tendons/bones let loose. Shredded crane tacos are wonderful. Season however you like

Comment

We tried booking a hunt this season but waited too long I guess. Try again next year.

Originally posted by RockTippedStick View Post
                              When we hunted cranes in Canada, our guide, Twitch, ran out there to get the birds. One stood up and faced off with him. He round house kicked that crane in the neck just like Chuck Norris would a Vietnamese Commie. It was a great laugh. Killed it dead.
                              Note to self; tip Twitch well so as not to end up like the crane.

Comment

Friend of mine that guided hunts for 20 yrs turned me onto Sandhill Crane meat. He slices breast into strips puts in a ziplock with a large can of pickled jalapenos juice & all...& a bottle of hidden valley ranch throw it in the fridge for a couple days then over mesquite coals till med rare.... DATS MONEY !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X