No announcement yet.

Self-sufficiency on the rise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kerosene lanterns are a good option for light and a little heat. TSC sells 5 gallon cans of kerosene that and some extra wicks will last a long time. There is some good videos on making acorn flower. Most of Texas has plentiful acorns. Remember a good coffee pot. When the coffee runs out yaupon leaves dried made into a tea is a good source of caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by OTL91 View Post
      If crap really hits the fan, private property isn't going to matter unless you can defend it. You could have 1,000 acres with all the beef, timber, water, etc. in the world but unless you can keep people away from your stuff it will not last long. Takes a lot more people than most would imagine to really secure a large area... even more people if you are having to conduct sustainment activities (planting crops, cooking, cutting firewood, etc.). I will have my Ranger handbook handy when it all happens.

You bring up a good point. If things go south, you won’t have Google or syri to use in order to try to get information. These things need to be printed out now. I’ve got 2 big 3” binders full of papers that I have printed out, and to be honest it’s not enough. If you are weak in certain areas, now is the time to go online and print out manuals that can assist you if the internet goes down or isn’t accessible. For example, knots and wild edibles. I haven’t had to tie a half hitch in 30 years, but I’ve got a multi page print out of hood, common knots and how to tie them. I don’t like many greens but know there is a lot of wild edibles out there. This one you need to be careful about, so I sprung for the full color high definition printouts to assist. Got an old vehicle? If you don’t have one, get a repair manual for it.

Comment

Originally posted by otl91 View Post
        if crap really hits the fan, private property isn't going to matter unless you can defend it. You could have 1,000 acres with all the beef, timber, water, etc. In the world but unless you can keep people away from your stuff it will not last long. Takes a lot more people than most would imagine to really secure a large area... Even more people if you are having to conduct sustainment activities (planting crops, cooking, cutting firewood, etc.). I will have my ranger handbook handy when it all happens.
        rltw!

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
          rltw!
          All the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
            Those talking about rabbits, quail, and even chickens for the city/ suburb people, what are you planning on feeding them if it’s a long term situation? At least rabbits and quail will have to be in a pretty good pen and almost 100% relied on you for food. Chickens in a populated area aren’t going to last long foraging.
            Just something to think about and Im curious if anybody has solutions.
            I have been putting my place back into native grasses to support small game, such as what you mention...rabbits, quail, squirrel, etc. No need to freeze or preserve.

Comment

[QUOTE=Etxnoodler;15992188]Those talking about rabbits, quail, and even chickens for the city/ suburb people, what are you planning on feeding them if it’s a long term situation? At least rabbits and quail will have to be in a pretty good pen and almost 100% relied on you for food. Chickens in a populated area aren’t going to last long foraging.
              Just something to think about and Im curious if anybody has solutions.[/QUOTE

I’m not in the burbs my chickens are pretty much 100% free range. The only thing I would worry about mine is keeping my rooster quiet might have to see if he can survive a voice box removal surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                OK, so how many of y'all grew up without air conditioning in SE TX. I did, but must admit that we got AC when I was in high school. We didn't know anything else so we didn't know how hot it was. You can do without if you make some changes.

The problem with no AC is that buildings haven’t been made to properly ventilate themselves since HVAC was widely adopted. You may have thought it was hot before y’all got AC as a kid, but go without it on a modern built house and you will be wishing for your childhood home before long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We just moved to 12 acres from the burbs. I have two deep wells drilled. No live stock yet, but it’s in the works. Coincidentally, The 4 other men in my area and I are having a prep meeting tonight. We all have resources and skills where I feel confident our families will do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                    We just moved to 12 acres from the burbs. I have two deep wells drilled. No live stock yet, but it’s in the works. Coincidentally, The 4 other men in my area and I are having a prep meeting tonight. We all have resources and skills where I feel confident our families will do just fine.

That's awesome!

Comment

I am making Vanilla extract.. its very easy.
                      Have purchased numerous parts for my truck.. spare starter, belt, ujoints, alternator, brake pads, lots of extra oil, filters, antifreeze, hoses,..spare gas cap, spare radiator cap,.. put on new tires, keeping the old ones for spares.. tire changing tools, bars, valve stems, patch kit, glue, plugs.. etc
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have dry canned pasta, oatmeal, rice, beans.
                        Have vacuum sealed flour, corn meal, bisquick, salt, sugar.. the flours i freeze for 4 or 5 days.. to kill any bugs.. then transfer into a brown paper sack.. fold tightly, the insert into a vacuum sealable bag.. and seal. This prevents the sealer from sucking dust.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post

^^^This is the key right here IMHO^^^

Just like I would imagine it would have been back in the day… if ***** really hits the fan we better be working with other like minded, hard working and responsible folks in your immediate area/community.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                            That's what I told my wife. I'll feed us real good....right up until we die of scurvy.

The fresh bright green tips of pine has all the vitamin c you would ever need.

Comment

Ive been working on my foraging skills for mushrooms. Found some tasty ones. Really good for you because I feel awesome and I am now a 400 foot winged demon from the 6th dimension of Garnania. Pretty cool to be self sufficient

Comment

One of the best books on edible plants and how to prepare them. Best find it now, while you can.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X