No announcement yet.

Official 2021-2022 LAKE WHITNEY & AQUILLA Hunting & Fishing Tea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some folks like facing the tree. There used to be a lot of options when buying hang on stands and climbing stands. Facing the tree was one of them. Some even had stands where the seat could be moved back and forth for the option. Warren&Sweet comes to mind.

My first deer stand was built from an aluminum extension ladder that I used to get up in trees with stands. Still have the camo ladder too. I did fab a metal seat for it at one point. But was really top heavy. It was all I had at the time. My daughter even hunted out of it when she was 14.

That feller made it easy to fab and set up. And with all the hype about saddle hunting these days, where the hunter is facing the tree, I don't see what the big deal is. Do what ya gotta do. And don't judge a man for his limited resources. Cause you could always be in his shoes some day.

I say give him a Koo-does for making it happen! [emoji846][emoji106]

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Official 2021-2022 LAKE WHITNEY & AQUILLA Hunting & Fishing Tea

If I had the time, money and effort to build something like that, I’d prolly spend it on something that wouldn’t send me to the hospital or be a total PITA to put up.

It ain’t that expensive to go buy a lock on, or a set of sticks even. I see guys complain about the price of mobile setups yet they have 3-4 ladder stands, etc.

Heck, it’s made out of an old car seat, and obviously he had the power tools to assemble it, however backwards it is. The strap on it is ancient… it’s been there a while.

And to be honest, I don’t really think he’s “makin it happen” so much as he’s being lazy.

I paid for my saddle hunting gear with plasma donations… so literal blood. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

It’s public land. People will do what they want and can hunt however they want. Good for them. I just wanna know how bad that dudes legs dangle.
      Last edited by Kirby86; 11-11-2021, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
        I always knew lake Whitney had tree huggers on it…
        When I saw this the other day on Facebook (saddle Hunter?) I almost asked if it was at Whitney lol because it looked like Whitney terrain Edit. just found it on hunting beast
        Last edited by Ender; 11-12-2021, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Turkey-turk?

Anybody hearing any gobbles out there amidst the deer and hog chasing? Got out there to hear a few in a few spots last year but got skunked each time. Not asking for the GPS just curious if they're alive and making noise in general.

Good luck to those of you out there this week!

Comment

I sure am ready for Texas weather. Its snowing here in Iowa right now. Getting on a plane back to Texas this afternoon ready for some hunting out there thanksgiving week. I do have an interview next week for a supervisor position back home. Sure hope that goes well. I'm tired of being in Iowa.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
              I sure am ready for Texas weather. Its snowing here in Iowa right now. Getting on a plane back to Texas this afternoon ready for some hunting out there thanksgiving week. I do have an interview next week for a supervisor position back home. Sure hope that goes well. I'm tired of being in Iowa.

Good luck Justin!

Comment

Good luck Justin, I should be out there hunting the next couple weekends

Comment

Well I blew it this evening. Had the biggest buck I’ve ever had come in at around 21-23 yards. Problem was he came in to the grunt I did at the start of a rattle sequence, behind a tree from a direction I didn’t expect so I was only glancing through while looking at the areas I expected the deer to come from. He came in while I was mid rattle and I’m about 70% sure he could just tell something wasn’t right but didn’t actually see me. Either way he took off running about the time I saw him and before I could pick up the bow. I’m talking a 120”-130” deer. I almost cried. If I hadn’t rattled and had just grunted I probably could have shot him.

Comment

Well I saw another decent buck this morning. He came pretty close, but hung back at about 50 yards and circled around. He came in on a grunt and snort wheeze. Also had three does come in early in the morning but they were to close and spooked when I tried to draw. It was a good morning. Instead of staying all day today I opted to leave and go get a buck decoy to try tomorrow morning.

Comment

Sounds like you are getting close ender

Comment

Yall get ya one!

Comment

I’ve begun to think I’ve blown this place out. Tremendous activity the last two days and only one 4 pointer this morning. I knew it was a risk hitting the same spot so many times, but the activity was so high yesterday and I left so early that I hoped they hadn’t actually caught on to me yet. This is likely my last day hunting this days off so last day hunting peak rut. Guess I’ll spend the first few days next days off finding another area with good movement.

Comment

Watch out for poachers, I had 3 on camera around midnight last night

Comment

Yea, I hit this one. But he was quartered to me more than I thought. So I clipped one lung probably, and liver, but then came out gut. Saw blood on his side when he ran off. Checked arrow, and it had gut and blood on the arrow. But no blood trail anywhere. I went back the next day to look, and never found it. I looked for about 7 hours.
                              Originally posted by Ender View Post
                              Yeah that always sucks, I had an arrow go wonky when I shot a doe a couple years ago and couldn’t find her. Then I had a buck duck the arrow last year. It barely skimmed his back. I could smell deer on the arrow but there was no blood. I didn’t even bother looking for him. I did check my game camera and had good footage of him ducking the arrow. Then my computer crashed before I could make the video.

Comment

Should have my GMC back on the road this weekend or sometime next week. Yaeh!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Working...
                                X