Simple Crockpot Pulled Wild Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Crockpot Pulled Wild Pork

Most people have their own recipe for this but I thought I would post up a simple one in case we have some new hog hunters.

For this one, I used a little 40-50 lb sow that I shot on opening weekend:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkNyGYYmI4U"]Leon County hog vs. APR 7mm08 - YouTube[/ame]

I got the hog quartered up and on ice and let it bleed out a few days.

I used one rear quarter and one backstrap.

I trimmed everything undesirable off and cleaned the meat real good.

Seasoned heavy with Smokey Pecan BBQ Rub from "The Spice Lab"

Added the meat to the crockpot and put in a couple teaspoons of minced garlic, a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and 2 cups of water.

Set the crockpot to low and cooked it from about 3 pm yesterday til about 8 am today.

Pulled out all the bones, a little bit of gristle, and put the meat into a mixing bowl.

The meat really didn't need much shredding/pulling but I went through it by hand and pulled it all apart.

Got out about 1/2 cup of the juice from the crockpot and poured that into the mixing bowl.

Then added 3/4 of a bottle of BBQ sauce.

Stirred it all in good with a wooden spoon. Sampled a bit. Added a little salt.

Stored it in the fridge until lunch time.

Will slather some on some sweet hawaiian sliders and enjoy.
    Last edited by Chew; 10-07-2021, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Farm to table!! Very nice!

Comment

It has to be good if you used Head’s.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            It has to be good if you used Head’s.
            Wife's favorite sauce is the original. I decided to try this one and it's dang good.

Comment

Thanks for sharing! I put mine in the electric smoker for about 2 hours, then put it in the instapot/pressure cooker for about an hour. It is similar in texture as the crockpot and the smoke takes away some of the gamey flavor. Good stuff on tacos too! The Hawaiian rolls and sister Shubert rolls are awesome.

Comment

Looks great. I might have to try it. It's just hard to beat the old standby though. Just pour a can of coke over it with a dash of liquid smoke and cook for 12 hours on low. Pour off all the coke and gamey flavor. Shred with your favorite sauce. (sweet baby rays for pulled pork)

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  Wife's favorite sauce is the original. I decided to try this one and it's dang good.
                  Have you tried hot and the hickory? Both very good. Their rubs are also good.
                  Last edited by oktx; 10-07-2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Not yet. I saw the hickory but they didn't have the hot

Comment

They even make a sugar free that doesn’t taste sugar free.

Comment

Tag

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thats funny I did some yesterday from a decent boar we trapped this weekend. Wasnt sure how he was gonna eat and was totally winging it! Added some onions, garlic, pickled japs, and some Dr pepper the kids had in the fridge. Let it cook down most of yesterday. Drained some of the juice off and added whatever bbq sauce was in the fridge. Turned out pretty dang good!

I'm gonna have to try that seasoning you used.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                            Thats funny I did some yesterday from a decent boar we trapped this weekend. Wasnt sure how he was gonna eat and was totally winging it! Added some onions, garlic, pickled japs, and some Dr pepper the kids had in the fridge. Let it cook down most of yesterday. Drained some of the juice off and added whatever bbq sauce was in the fridge. Turned out pretty dang good!

I'm gonna have to try that seasoning you used.
                            that sounds pretty tasty! I've seen a lot of recipes lately calling for DP.

Comment

I have too! I was just rummaging around trying to decide what to put in there and saw it. Pretty dang good, I will try it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X