Cell tower question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cell tower question

This is an ATT Tower about 2 miles behind my house. The lights on top of it went out about a month ago and have not been replaced. The same thing happened about 1 year ago and the person called them that owns the land where it stands and reported it was out twice before they finally replaced the lights. This seems like a huge safety issue, but I do no know the regulations for towers that tall.

Am I the only one that sees a huge red flag here??

Call the ntsb maybe ? report it probably get a big fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Could call the FCC as well. Anything over 200 feet must be lit. You would think on something that tall they would have redundancy with a backup light.

Comment

I wonder what they are changing that requires the crane.

Or are the bulbs that dang big? lol

J

Comment

They must be adding hardware.

Back in the 90's, I was working at firehouse #9 in Atlanta, the antenna folks would call us every evening to verify that the lights were working on the antenna across the street.

We got free cable TV for our troubles.

Note: In Atlanta, the city provides the firehouse. The firefighters provide all furniture(except for beds, kitchen table and work desks), TV's, cable, newspapers, food, coffee, ect.

Comment

I don't see a red flag anywhere in that photo-- can you circle it?

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
              I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

from google:

Call 877-487-6867 and the call will be routed to the appropriate flight service center. When you call, be prepared to provide the tower registration number (also called an ASR number). This is the seven-digit number that is assigned to all FCC-registered towers

Comment

Maybe they already had some maintenance or other upgrades planned for the tower and were just waiting to change the bulbs until the crane came. I imagine those cranes arent cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                    Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                      Maybe they already had some maintenance or other upgrades planned for the tower and were just waiting to change the bulbs until the crane came. I imagine those cranes arent cheap.
                      That appears to be an old picture, no leaves on the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                        from google:

Call 877-487-6867 and the call will be routed to the appropriate flight service center. When you call, be prepared to provide the tower registration number (also called an ASR number). This is the seven-digit number that is assigned to all FCC-registered towers
                        This ^^ I used to be a cell tech for Sprint before changing careers to fly for a living and had to deal with tower lights often. There will be multiple signs at the gate entrance with phone numbers and all the other associated numbers needed to have a NOTAM issued for the tower light being out. The NOTAM is a Notice to Airmen to describe the outage and other info like tower type, height ect... to pilots. There are fines if the NOTAM hasn't been issued within a certain period of time.

Comment

They probably have a cell monitor on the light to tell them when its out but it wont keep a signal being ATT.

Comment

Take a picture, give to your wife, make a record of reporting it, fly your plane into it, collect money.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                              Take a picture, give to your wife, make a record of reporting it, fly your plane into it, collect money.
                              You mean wife collects money to pay for your funeral?

Comment

Working...
                              X