No announcement yet.

Thoughts on 20 ga buckshot for deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3" #3 buck and put him in a bow blind he can only shoot about 30yrds and dead deer. You need to patteren that gun first though...

Comment

Back in the dog running days buckshot was the ticket. I'm pretty sure the biggest for a 20 is #4. I wore out a Browning light 12 shooting 3inch # 1 buck. Always had the plug out. Full choke. Killed a coyote at 92 steps.

Comment

Use it on hogs all the time.

Comment

I can kill a deer at 20 with a long bow a elk at 50 with a compound and some people think a 20Gauge wont kill a deer at 30?

Comment

I have killed a graveyard full of animals with buckshot. A 20 gauge inside 30 yards is by far more deadlier than archery tackle. Tell ur son I said good luck.

Comment

Take it from someone who uses a 20ga alot and has killed plenty of hogs and deer with . it works inside of 75yds with slugs. This is a smooth bore benelli m2. Get yourself a few boxes of Winchester Super-X Slugs go pattern your 20ga with a cylinder or open choke and you will be just fine.
              Trust me.
              My biggest animal with this firearm was a 220lb pig and it went a few steps before dropping over.
              I will say I have never tried buckshot though...

here is 20ga slug comparsion to the 44mag

winchester 20ga 3/4oz slug (328gr)@1600fps
              Energy/Muzzle:1865lbs

44 Rem Mag
              Bullet Wt.: 260gr COR®BON Hunter BCHP
              Velocity: 1450fps
              Energy/ Muzzle: 1214ftlbs

Comment

I need to post up some pics of patterns out of my shotgun with buckshot at 50yds. The doubters would be shocked. #4 buck is a 24cal. lead ball. Lots of them in a tight pattern are devastating on muscle, tissue and organs. Dropping a coyote stone cold dead at 40yds says alot for buckshot.

30yds is stone cold dead range for a well patterned buckshot load.

Comment

20 ga will work well, just pattern it at the range first.

Comment

Fastest I ever had a hog drop was after a load of buckshot to the shoulder at about 20 yards.

Comment

I rolled up a coyote the other day on the run with 2 3/4" #5 shot at 30 yards. Granted a deer is tougher than a coyote but 00 buck at 30 yards with a mod choke is going to work like a champ. I wouldn't hesitate escecially with the remington reduced recoil ammo.

We shoot alot of remington reduced recoil out of our riot barrels and they pattern very well. You shouldn't have any problems out fo a modified barrel.

Comment

they do make #2 for 20 guage, and it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                          they do make #2 for 20 guage, and it works great.
                          who makes it ?
                          most places only have 2 3/4 #4 I did find some 3" #3 but nothing bigger than that.

Comment

Federal. I have several boxes if you can't find any and need them. They are 3"

Comment

Its called BUCKshot for a reason.

Comment

Its called BUCKshot for a reason

I always wondered about that. Guess that answers the question.

Comment

Working...
                                X