S.E. Iowa Micro Food Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.E. Iowa Micro Food Plots

Food plot update about 5 weeks after planting.

The drainage basin plot was planted a little over two weeks ago with cereal rye. I broadcast another bushel of rye yesterday on the drainage basin areas.

Here are a couple of videos of the food plots from yesterday.

I have the lowest number of subscribers in Youtube history.[emoji38] Please subscribe if you want to see any future videos on my Iowa hunting season, food plots, and farm chores. BTW....I have not started hunting yet. I will probably start hunting around the 20th of this month.

Food plot update Part 1

Food plot update Part 2

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Looking good!

Comment

Looking good! Subscribed!

Comment

Looks like your brassicas are doing well. Do you think the reason for the thin rye in the catch basin area is because of topsoil displacement ? Obviously I have no way of knowing if you saved the topsoil and spread it back on top.

Regardless, I imagine you’re gonna have some visitors after all the ag is harvested around you.

And.....subscribed !

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
          Looking good! Subscribed!
          Thanks !!!

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          Looks like your brassicas are doing well. Do you think the reason for the thin rye in the catch basin area is because of topsoil displacement ? Obviously I have no way of knowing if you saved the topsoil and spread it back on top.

Regardless, I imagine you’re gonna have some visitors after all the ag is harvested around you.

And.....subscribed !
          Yes. The grade was pretty hard packed with the dozer running back and forth. I graded out most of the dozer tracks with my box blade but that actually made a smoother, slicker surface. I drug an old JD harrow over the the broadcast seed, but it really needed some extra weight on it. The seed is taking off pretty well. It has been down a little over two weeks with not as much moisture as I would like to see on it. I added about 50# of rye two days ago. I also hand raked a few areas where seed was visible on top of the ground. The dam area is doing good because the soil was not as packed there.

A neighbor gave me an old JD disc two days after I broadcast the rye seed. I have another area (not in the drainage basin) that I lightly ran the disc over before seeding. The rye is germinating faster there.

Thanks for subscribing!! I will keep updating my hunting season. I am going to finally get in a tree in the next few days. I don't want to get burned out before it really starts getting good.

Comment

sub #13 checkin' in. thats a nice layout. your ole deer outta recover well post rut. that higher ridge is gonna be pretty hard and dry, gettin that deeper root system should help the water holding capacity a lot. well done. pretty place there.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Food plot update.

The food plots are looking good and more importantly......they work !!!!

I am going to expand my plots next year.

We have had several freezes already. This morning it was 20 degrees. The turnips and radishes are still look good. The deer are loving the rye, oats, and triticale.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Arrowsmith; 11-02-2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X