What does opening day mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does opening day mean to you?

What does opening day mean to you? Growing up in a household with a single mom that struggled to make ends meet; it was difficult for us to spend time in the outdoors. However when we would go out mom always made sure that I had a blast.

Whether we were fishing at a small pond belonging to my uncle, or cruising the backroads looking at the wildflowers and cattle that grazed in the pastures. Sometimes I would even find myself walking down old dirt roads picking up soda and beer cans because we could recycle it for money, but more importantly because she had grown up using that same dirt road to take her to town or a friends house and hated to see it trashed.

My mother loved the outdoors and everything that came with them. She taught me that their is a place for everything. The fish fed us as well as birds and other fish. The vegetables and fruits we enjoyed were also enjoyed by deer and rabbits. Even the snakes that got into the chicken coop had a place; dead on their backs to make the rain come. We enjoyed many outdoor activities together up until the day she passed but the one thing we never did get to thoroughly enjoy together was hunting.

Mom had grown up as a child in the mid to late 50’s. She was one of nine children altogether. Having been born into a family of poor farmers she had to learn at a young age how to live off the land. However the women would always do the basic things like cook, clean, feed chickens, water and weed the garden. Although the men would often help with the garden and other chores you could guarantee a paycheck that every opening day men would do less gardening and more hunting. It didn’t matter if it was dove, deer, duck or squirrel. The men hunted and the women would continue with their mundane tasks. So it’s easy to see that my mom didn’t know the first thing about hunting but she could catch fish with the best of them and grow some of the best looking squash I’ve ever seen.

Almost everything I know about the outdoors I learned from my mother but the one thing I didn’t learn a lick about was hunting. It wasn’t until the summer of 2014 while in the military that I had gotten the idea from a buddy to pick up hunting. I would ask mom the occasional question here and there but she didn’t know much which often led me to doing my own research. After a year of researching and practice with a cheap compound bow I took to the field for the 2015 season.

That year I would get a shot at a buck. A decent 3.5 year old 8 pt on public land. I remember calling mom right after the shot because I was so sure it was a heart shot and telling her the good news. She was probably more joyed than I was. Well I found out that day that 1.) deer are tougher than woodpecker lips and 2.) I needed more practice. After searching for countless hours I never did find the buck. The arrow didn’t tell me much either other than I had hit him. No bubbles, no guts, no dark red blood. The blood trail (what little there was) left me only scratching my head. I felt defeated but my mother encouraged me to not give up.

In 2016 with a new found appreciation for Gods 4 legged brown blessing I started my deer season in Tennessee, having been stationed at ft. Campbell. Long story short I ate tag soup that year. In 2017 I had gotten out of the military and moved back to Texas. I knew that year was the year I would accomplish my goal.

And in October I punched my tag on a doe. I called my mom again but only after retrieving the deer this time so as not to get her hopes up again. It was a beautiful 20 yard shot. She went down in less than 60. I only got one deer that year but the excitement and joy that I got to see on my mother’s face that day was worth a lifetime of tag soup seasons. It’s been almost three years since I’ve filled a tag and almost three years since I’ve even hunted. This will be the first year that I’ve hunted without her.

We lost mom September 21st 2019. A mixture of health issues and 7 years of kidney dialysis finally shut her body down. She fought like hell up until the end but the Lord wanted her to come home. This opening day if people pass by me going in or heading out they may only see me walking but there are two of us there because I know no matter what she is with me. She’ll continue to watch over me and be with me for many more hunting seasons (I pray). Opening day used to be like an unmarked holiday for me. It was a day I looked forward to all year. This year I still looked forwards to it but for different reasons.

I feel this year it’s a time where I can be close to mom again. Where I can share her love for the outdoors and adventure. A day where I can sit and truly enjoy all of God’s glory. So this is why I ask y’all; what does opening day mean to you?

Usually it means NOT hunting!

Comment

It means i can finally go sit in the tree and hopefully not sweat to death. Lol

Comment

I’m with you 11B. Opening weekend always brings back memories for me about my Dad. I lost him back in 2010.

He is the one that taught me and my brother to hunt and fish. He’s the guy that would leave Friday night after our football games and drive me and my brother five hours to the lease while we slept. He would then sleep til noon on opening day, hunt that afternoon and the next morning then drive us back Sunday night so we could be at school Monday morning.

I wish I had cherished those times more. Didn’t realize til later in life how special those times were. I took him with me later in his life but he wouldn’t hunt due to some strokes but was standing on the porch when we came in ready to see our kill. Deer management to him in his time was if you see horns he’s good. He never had a deer mounted and enjoyed every kill. Things have sure changed in the whitetail hunting world.

I do know this, this time of year makes me miss him more than ever, and I’m ok with that. I will see him again someday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This year it means I have to work as a guide watching others folks shoot critters. Pretty hard to swallow after over 30yrs of not missing opening weekend. Oh well, it’s all good. I do like my job, and I’ll get to hunt sooner than later!!!!!

Good luck to all you folks that are out there after them now.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What does opening day mean to me?
            I feel like a little kid.
            When it was opening day and I would spend the night at grandma and granddaddy’s.
            I could smell coffee, bacon, and eggs cooking at 4am... and he would wake me to eat (but I was already awake with excitement, and wonder...)
            He wasn’t the best “hunter/tracker,” but; he was in so many ways, to me...
            The sheer thrill of the still morning our Creator allowed me to experience for one more day; it truly humbles me.
            I hear the birds awaken from their nests and scurrying for their breakfast.
            The orange and crimson beams spew from the distance; as my view widens...
            The rustle of brush from afar yields the hopes of my prey; yet only a squirrel foraging for his early meal???
            The cool moist KISS of the morn; embraces your skin, and sends a slight bit ever soft Chill to your SOUL.
            That “After-Talk” of the hunt—-was it successful?
            Of course
            In All Ways in the Latter.

Comment

I didn't start bow hunting until after my dad passed away. For me it is something he and I talked about doing our last general season opening weekend. We hunting a small place in Burnet and counted over 50 shots around us that morning. Said we should take up now hunting to get out before everyone else. I shot a nice 8point on Sunday. He died on Tuesday of a heart attack. I started shooting a bow 2 weeks later and the next deer season I was bow hunting. Pretty much been hunting solo since then. I'm on a lease with a few other guys now but we're on opposite sides of the property and no one stays out there so still pretty much hunting solo. My kids sometime come with me during general season though.

Opening weekends are usually tough for me and I tend to skip opening of bow if weather and moon isn't right since it's just me. I skipped today. May go tomorrow, not sure yet. Getting things ready though. It's an 1 1/2 he drive so I'll just go from the house.

I never missing opening weekend of rifle though. Still hunting out of a stand he built and using his knife to gut them.

Comment

Slowly, over the years as I have aged, I have simply lost some of the burning desire to be there opening morning, but I still understand the excitement and enthusiasm of others. I used to look so forward to it, but now that I hunt my friend's ranch with ample targets and the need to keep his herd thinned, the anticipation has wained.

We have work weekends down there, but he has the feed store keep the protein and corn feeders filled, the wives have dinner waiting on us at the house, and we watch more deer sitting on the front porch than at our stands. It's great and easy, but not the same as when we used to haul trailers full of corn, stands, feeders and whatever, then work ourselves to death in 105 degree temperature and sleep with the mice and snakes.

Comment

So many awesome replies. It’s always interesting to hear others thoughts on what something means to them. Thank you everyone for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    Slowly, over the years as I have aged, I have simply lost some of the burning desire to be there opening morning, but I still understand the excitement and enthusiasm of others. I used to look so forward to it, but now that I hunt my friend's ranch with ample targets and the need to keep his herd thinned, the anticipation has wained.

We have work weekends down there, but he has the feed store keep the protein and corn feeders filled, the wives have dinner waiting on us at the house, and we watch more deer sitting on the front porch than at our stands. It's great and easy, but not the same as when we used to haul trailers full of corn, stands, feeders and whatever, then work ourselves to death in 105 degree temperature and sleep with the mice and snakes.
                    Yes Sir, I get it... I’m 47, and have also lost a step or two. This time last year I tore my bicep (distal tear) and had surgery. That was a bit of a wake-up call for me to say the least. I worked hard in rehab to get my strength back. This season, I wanted to get back to my “roots” and use my climber. Yeah, I’m fat and out of shape, but I made the most of it this morning and this evening. It really felt good being outside of a blind. Now, I’m not saying for you to go climb a tree, but maybe do some scouting etc.
                    We aren’t too far gone not to enjoy the simple things on opening day (not saying you aren’t...)!

Comment

Opening day of bow season, now days, not a lot. I don't have a place to bow hunt, I have places I could bow hunt, but not worth the effort, this early in the season. Later on, yes, I would get excited, but not now. If I could still just drive out the the Aransas Wildlife Refuge, I would be more excited about opening day of bow season. Down there this month the rut will be on, probably earlier with this cool air. But it's only drawn hunting now, so I can't just take off and go down there.

On our place, the bucks are not moving much at all yet, I have not seen a single buck show up on camera, that is anywhere close to legal. There should be some moving towards the end of this month and the first half of next month.

With the cool air we are having right now, it would be great, if I had a place to bow hunt, but that's not the case, so I am just waiting for next month. The places where I plan on hunting, will pick up in late November, to late December.

In years past, first day of bow season, meant something, but not at the moment.

Comment

Opening day means Stay home tell mid week...Dont think I ever hunted opening day..Been at lease and cook for gang...seen and heard all the pissin and moaning and excuses...

Comment

Opening day of dove season on 9/1 means my favorite time of year is upon us. Between dove, teal, bow season, squirrel, deer, big duck and geese there is something to hunt all the way to almost spring turkey. Lord I love this time of year.

Comment

Only hunt evening if bucks are on a pattern. Not worth busting your area if the wind is not right.

Comment

Opening Day

This year it means nothing to me this year. My son is in his senior year and with his football schedule pushed back his last weekend of regular season is Dec 4th. Oh well, there will be more hunting seasons in the future. Haven’t missed a game of his since he was 4, won’t miss one now.

Comment

Working...
                              X