Pickerel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickerel?

Are pickerel and walleye in the same family? Pickerel good eating?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

We call pickerel northerns. They are better eating than walleye if you ask me. They are hard to clean though you have to flay out y bones so you waste a lot of meat.

Comment

I caught one and had no idea what it was, [emoji38]

Comment

Where did you catch it?

I have a few in my backyard pond.

Comment

Pickerel are in the Pike family. Walleye are in the perch family.

Comment

Pickerel are in the Pike family. There’s a good picture of one in this link. It’s the 2nd picture...the first picture is a walleye.

So, what’s all this about the “Canadian pickerel” really being a “walleye?” Are we talking about the same fish having two names? For generations, when Americans have said “It is a walleye,” we Canadians have—sometimes defiantly—responded, “We call it pickerel in Canada; Americans call it walleye.” Have we been wrong...
            Last edited by AlaskaFlyerFan; 09-10-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

pickerel are in the pike family, and Tx has chain pickerel native. did you take a picture at least?

Comment

Back in the day.

Grew up in Florida, years ago. Use to catch'em once in a while on a crankbait or spinnerbait. Once hooked up for the most part fought harder than a largemouth. Fun to catch, not to clean, bony. Used to just throw'em back.
                Ed

"Freedom cannot be be bestowed, it must be achieved." Elbert Hubbard

Comment

I've caught a couple in my life, but neither was big enough to eat. Kind of cool looking though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                    pickerel are in the pike family, and Tx has chain pickerel native. did you take a picture at least?
                    I did, but I accidentally deleted it.

Comment

Used to fish a lake not far from Panama city Florida that was loaded with them. They would flat destroy some spinnerbaits. Between the pickerel and grinnell you would destroy 15-20 spinnerbaits per trip. Never ate any but were a blast to catch. Almost like getting into a school of Spanish mackerel while trout fishing.

Comment

I’ve caught several in a little creek on our lease outside Warren in Tyler county.At first I didn’t know what it was either and I’ve been fishing these parts my whole life.

Comment

I catch them in Caddo about every trip.

Comment

Originally posted by swamper View Post
                            We call pickerel northerns. They are better eating than walleye if you ask me. They are hard to clean though you have to flay out y bones so you waste a lot of meat.
                            Walleye is hard to beat IMO. Do you like carp/gar?

Comment

This is how we always filet them. No need to get all the bones out.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgV2rEI6IlM"]Catch, Clean, Cook "Jack Fish" (*Chain Pickerel) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                              X