Buying a boat from out of state, private seller Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a boat from out of state, private seller Oklahoma

I'm traveling to Oklahoma to buy a boat tomorrow. It's from a private seller,
    Are there any specifics I should be aware of when buying a boat in Oklahoma and then transferring it to Texas

Make sure you get all 3 titles signed properly

Comment

If I remember correctly, Oklahoma does not require boat trailers to have a title or a tag. You may want to check what you need to register the trailer when you get it back to Texas.

Comment

Check trailer bearings before making trip.

Comment

Originally posted by scarecrow View Post
          That is a very good idea.

Comment

I have a buddy, who bought a boat from Arkansas, don't remember what the deal is, but he has given up on getting the title to that boat. I think it was a case of the owner only had a Arkansas title for the boat and no title for the engine or the trailer. He was all excited about the boat when he got it home, then a few weeks later it turned into a sore subject, the boat has never seen the water since he got it, two or three years ago.

Comment

I would talk to Parks and Wildlife. They are very strict. I owned way to many boats and if papers are not Perfect, I am out. I bought a boat from Florida where the motor did not require a title. Got it done but the bill of sale done correct is paramount to success. May need a waiver from the seller explaining. I would know every detail before one penny spent. Can not express how important it is. And can not even get rid of certain items without same papers!

Comment

Talk to your local TPWD BEFORE you buy. They will tell you exactly what you need to register.

Comment

Originally posted by scarecrow View Post
                  I’ve bought those pre loaded hubs before as insurance in these situations. I also keep a ziploc bag With grease I can cut a corner off of and a couple gloves in a little trailer tool box that’s always in the truck. May not be a proper packing, but it’ll get you home.
                  Doesn’t hurt to keep with you if you travel a lot towing trailers.
                  Good luck on the boat.

Comment

Thanks I'll call TP&W,
                    Hopefully they're open for a
                    Phone consultation during the quarantine

Comment

I just bought a La boat, motor and trailer. I did have title for motor and boat so that was pretty painless at Tpwd office. Bill of sale sufficed at dmv and I got tags for trailer that way. Probably easier running in that order because you can show them Tx titles for those at DMV as well

Comment

A few years ago we bought our Champion in Oklahoma, private sale. Like others have said, check with TPWD and find out EXACTLY what they want. I thought I had it covered until I got back and tried to register everything. What a PIA! Had to take the boat down to their office in Austin. Had to send papers back and forth several times with the seller. Luckily he was really cool about it all. And to register the trailer (Williamson County) I had to get a certified EMPTY weight of the trailer. So I had to leave my boat at a lake, tied to a tree while I went to get the trailer weighed. Then came back to find half my fishin' stuff gone. I'm REALLY glad we bought this boat, but the early days of the process had me pulling my hair out.

Comment

Only boat and motor titled in Oklahoma. BOS should work for registering the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                            I have a buddy, who bought a boat from Arkansas, don't remember what the deal is, but he has given up on getting the title to that boat. I think it was a case of the owner only had a Arkansas title for the boat and no title for the engine or the trailer. He was all excited about the boat when he got it home, then a few weeks later it turned into a sore subject, the boat has never seen the water since he got it, two or three years ago.
                            A lot of states don't title the boat or the motor only the trailer, and only register the boat but not the motor

Comment

Working...
                            X