Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-18-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
jhunter77
Ten Point

Default Advice on a lab breeder

I am looking for a black or yellow lab breeder that breeds for health, and then temperament. I am looking for a smaller framed British lab. Blood trailing, and retrieving. I prefer a dog that is not wound tight for field trials. Hunting parents is a must. Do yall have any recommendations on breeders? Thanks
jhunter77 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #2
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Pay attention to the pedigree. Even if you have no interest in running UKC and AKC tests - if past dogs frequently achieved titles they are proven to be trainable to some of the most versatile levels. (Doesn’t mean that untitled dogs aren’t that trainable so relax keyboard killers)
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
MarkV
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunter77 View Post
I am looking for a black or yellow lab breeder that breeds for health, and then temperament. I am looking for a smaller framed British lab. Blood trailing, and retrieving. I prefer a dog that is not wound tight for field trials. Hunting parents is a must. Do yall have any recommendations on breeders? Thanks
I know a few good breeders but most breed the American style labs that run smaller and more athletic. The british labs are normally the stockier big headed labs.
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #4
jhunter77
Ten Point

I am ultimately going for the on off switch that english/British dogs have. I care less about looks but prefer a smaller dog because it's easier on their joints and traveling with them
Old 11-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
MarkV
Pope & Young

Quote:
I am ultimately going for the on off switch that english/British dogs have. I care less about looks but prefer a smaller dog because it's easier on their joints and traveling with them
I have an American female that has a pretty good off switch. A lot of good breeders know that most people don't want those high strung dogs and are breeding dogs to try to keep them with the high drive but also have an off switch and make a good pet.

I got my dog from Jason Hall who owns Muddy Oak retrievers. Here

Also would recommend LL Gun Dogs here

or Best retrievers here

Whoever you talk to just be sure to tell them what you are looking for. All 3 of the ones I recommended also train dogs so they know that's what people want
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
Horn a holic
Eight Point

Hunt In: Antlers, Oklahoma

Justin and Amber at LL Gun Dogs would be a good starting point. These people are extremely devoted to their dogs and hunting. I bought a GSP from them and have been extremely happy with my dog. Next lab I get will be coming from their kennel. Good folks!
Horn a holic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #7
jhunter77
Ten Point

Thanks
Old 11-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

http://ganderhilllabs.com/
Great pedigree and bloodline. My chocolate from them was the best dog I’ve ever had
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #9
justhrowit
Ten Point

Hunt In: Your tree stand.

I’m on my second lab from Waterbound Labradors. Amazing dogs/breeder. He no longer has a website, but you can find Roy on FB.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...content_filter

Hopefully that link works.

J
justhrowit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #10
MisterSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Chambers, Bandera, Batson, Sonora

my friend just did a repeat breeding with his American female to a CHMH English male. Both parents hunt and have all health testing done. The last litter of pups are 6 months old and have a great on off switch even at such an early age. all 4 pups have been in duck blind or dove field already around guns and water and have even made some assisted retrieves. they all just started gun dog training this month.

Text/Call him at 832-465-5943
MisterSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #11
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Range creek Labradors. But there are many good breeders. Look for the Dickendall bloodlines and expect to pay between $1500 and $2500 for a good well breed English lab. Might seem like a lot but believe me it will be worth every single penny. Our "Ranger" has brought my family so much joy and happiness I would pay 10x more.
Attached Images

ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
bradleymccaw
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: North&Central Tx

I would also look into LLGunDogs, I purchased a Started BLF from them, they are very knowledgeable and devoted to the dogs. To this day, they have an open line for questions.
bradleymccaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #13
Karen04
Nubbin' Buck

V bar ranch kennels
Where our British lab came from

Last edited by Karen04; 11-19-2019 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Karen04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #14
CPR09
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bosque County

Botar Labs out of Oklahoma is where we got our Jinx. They breed show dogs and service dogs but Jinx has turned out to be a great hunter. We got a smokin deal on him because the breeder deemed him to not be “show” quality.
CPR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 11:31 PM   #15
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
www.uklabs.com (Wildrose Kennels)

Best of the best or Orvis wouldn't recommend them.

Best Lab I ever owned came from them.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 06:14 AM   #16
jhunter77
Ten Point

Thanks yall. Are there any more budget minded places? My last lab I got for free at 2 and he would be what many call a finished dog. I trained him myself and gave him good food. Hand signals, steady at the shot. I could run hi. On blind retrievers with no problem.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #17
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

If you are going to have high demands expect to pay for it or get real lucky. Go grab a handful of cheap pups or dogs from the shelter and start sorting through them.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 07:04 AM   #18
Alderrg
Four Point

Hunt In: Llano / Trinity Bay

Budget minded dogs can be found and turned into decent hunting dogs. I had one years ago. Got her for 200.00 and she was a duck machine until she had to be put down at 3 yrs old due to genetic health issues. Never again would I buy and invest in a dog that did not come from health tested parents.

I cant even tell you the amount of money I have in my female now between heath testing, vetting, training. She is due to have pups jan 3. I will have over 3k in the stud fee, TCI (artificial insemination), ultrasounds, puppy shots, wormer, declaw removal, not to mention the time missed from work when the litter is born and the work and time that goes into making sure the pups survive the first week. The English CHMH male that she is bred to has to be worth over 100k between show training, gun dog training, hunt test, shows, travel, stud fees that he brings in weekly, etc... It cost money to produce proven healthy dogs.
Alderrg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #19
Topgun
Nubbin' Buck

I have a litter due 11/30/19 and one due 12/07/19. Top American field trial lines. All parents have hip/eye/elbow clearances, and are EIC and CNM clear.
Both dams are directly from Field Champion sires. Sire of one litter is Master Hunter and 2019 Master National Qualifier. Sire of the other litter was on the National Derby List, and is Qualified All Age.
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #20
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

Quote:
Thanks yall. Are there any more budget minded places? My last lab I got for free at 2 and he would be what many call a finished dog. I trained him myself and gave him good food. Hand signals, steady at the shot. I could run hi. On blind retrievers with no problem.
I personally would not buy another American Breed lab from past experiences. Not all, but the majority of ones I have been around and that has been a bunch are not able to live indoors. Only way I would if I bought an older one and could see their temperament. Puppies a lot of time no way of telling.

British lab is the way I would go. The temperament's are there and non vocal whining.

You are planning on having this dog for 10+ years and go cheap?? Something I take care of 24/7, and have to pay for I want the best. Health clearances and parents to back it up. Alot of good breeders have waiting list. Get on a list put your deposit and then by the time your pup is ready you will have the money.

Yes it can be done with a shelter dog or cheap dog. But, what if they do not work out? You gotta start all over. Not all well bred dogs work out either, but you have a higher chance they will.

Sorry long post, just like talking dogs.
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #21
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

Wildrose Kennels

Or

Southern Oak Kennels
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #22
Qban
Four Point

Hunt In: East Tx

Good info.
Qban is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #23
whitecrow
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderrg View Post
........Never again would I buy and invest in a dog that did not come from health tested parents.
This, period.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #24
AWnNETX
Four Point

Hunt In: Lamar Co., Red River Co., Trinity Co.

3M labs in Tigertown, TX.
That's where I got my current duck dog. They breed dogs for all sorts of work, hunting, narcotics, bomb detection, military/police use.
All around great dogs.
Mine is 4 and he is a great duck dog and pet.
AWnNETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top